The 15 point swing that turned a blowout into a nailbiter

Billsfan1972

3 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

That drop, Knox's drop and Allen's fumble are minimum a 14 point swing. But those things happen in a football game. Heck, Miami probably dropped 10-14 points worth of passes. 

If Miami dropped 10-14 points worth of passes, then our DBs broke up passes worth at least that much.

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Yeah.  Whatever.  Allen should've thrown for 400 yards and 4 TD's if Knox and Shakir don't drop the ball.  Would've been a comfortable win.  Maybe all this criticism this week is a good thing going into the Divisional.

It absolutely is a good thing. They need to work on this. 

And you've seen a concerted effort from the coaching staff, putting Beasley and/or brown out there instead of stone hands McKenzie... But then brown runs the wrong route leading to an Allen interception. Beasley had a pretty decent game, though he does look markedly slower now and somewhat uncoordinated transitioning from the catch to run. Either way I'll take a haggard vet like Beas over McKenxie in important situations, and he made a couple plays we needed to secure the W.

Next year, it's time to stop with defensive picks and draft/sign WR and OL. Like seriously we don't have the personnel. So many teams with so many weapons- competing with the likes of Cincy, SD, SF, etc for a ring and would be nice to have comparable arsenals... We got Josh and Stef. Maybe Cook. Pass catchers please!

After Knox's drop in the EZ, Bass made a FG to make it 17-0.  Miami had zero momentum at that point.

Bass then proceeds to kick off OOB, giving Miami a drive start at the 40.  I feel that this is the 3rd or 4th time this season that Bass has kicked off OOB.  Miami scored a FG on the ensuing drive, and then, the floodgates opened.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

This game reminded me a lot of the Minnesota game.  There were legitimately a dozen plays you could point to in both games where if the Bills made the play offensively or defensively, you could mark in your notebook "game over" (nod to Greg Easterbrook).  Minnesota game was much worse but this was similar - the Knox almost touchdown, the Shakir almost catch, etc. etc.  It was maddening.  

I hope that Minnesota loss doesn't come back to haunt us. IE playing in a dome instead of Orchard Park in two weeks.

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

• Eyeroll 1

I wish we had played Shakir more throughout the year. I think because of his relative inexperience he got nervous on that pass and focused too hard on catching the ball instead of just naturally letting it come to him. It was thrown well enough that he probably could have caught it and ran into the endzone. Instead he stopped and went to the ground to try and preserve the catch and ultimately lost control. Maybe if he got more reps throughout the year he would have been ready for that moment. To his credit he bounced back and made some nice plays. But it's hard suddenly having to rely on rookies in sudden death scenarios. McDermott needs to do a better job ramping them up for these moments over the course of the season. Let them get their lumps earlier when it doesn't matter as much. Like Cook for example I thought we brought along brilliantly.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

I hope that Minnesota loss doesn't come back to haunt us. IE playing in a dome instead of Orchard Park in two weeks.

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

It may as the Bills would be playing Jax this week (and the Cincy game would have meant nothing since all teams won week 18).

8 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

After Knox's drop in the EZ, Bass made a FG to make it 17-0.  Miami had zero momentum at that point.

Bass then proceeds to kick off OOB, giving Miami a drive start at the 40.  I feel that this is the 3rd or 4th time this season that Bass has kicked off OOB.  Miami scored a FG on the ensuing drive, and then, the floodgates opened.

Again a lot of plays we can focus on, I used the Shakir play because it was such a key one and the time it happened and the # of points it involved.  There was under 2 minutes in the half, the score was 17-6 and the clock would have been running.  Miami at best probably get's the ball back with 1:20 down 24 (or 20-6), which is probably the score at half. 

At that point you think Skylar can run a 2 minute offense? 

This wasn't it cost the Bills 4 or 7 points (or a dumb play or TO or penalty or momentum), it directly cost them in the end 15 points (good thing they kicked that fg to close the half😉).

It was an easy catch.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BananaB said:

Beats me. Bills have a problem at WR that’s why Brown and Beas are here at this point. It’s a little bit of desperation. While the talking heads want to put it all on Allen, the Bills know they have an issue.  If they worked in Shakir earlier they might have less of an issue. Sadly it looks like they let a solid WR slip between their fingers because they never got a good look of him on Sundays.  

Shakir made a couple of very moves catches. Every wr has drops. Look at Waddle the first play of the game for Miami’s O. 

18 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

They gotta catch the easy ones....the layups. The circus catch later just makes the dropped bomb more frustrating. Josh could've had anywhere from 4-6 tds in that game with a few more inches.

He went up and caught the ball.  I see receivers do that every week, but when it's a Bill not named Diggs, it is a circus catch😝.  Don't forget too that the play meant nothing (forget they didn't score that drive) as their was a holding penalty on Miami that would have resulted in a first down anyways. 

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

They gotta catch the easy ones....the layups. The circus catch later just makes the dropped bomb more frustrating. Josh could've had anywhere from 4-6 tds in that game with a few more inches.

Truly a game of inches !  Go Bills !

That deep pass to Shakir was on the money, hit him perfectly in stride.... watching the replay I don't understand why Shakir jumped when the ball came in.    He could've caught the ball in stride and waltzed into the end-zone untouched.    For an average NFL WR that's a routine catch and score.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.