Difference in O-Line Year over Year

Josh Allen deserves a better offensive line than he has.  And, I fear if we don’t ever get that settled, we’ll have squandered our franchise QB’s career.  He shares and owns his errors which I respect.  I hope they help him.  

And, PLEASE give him another weapon.  Window won’t be open forever.  I’d like to see one Lombardi Trophy before it closes.  Anything more would be gravy.  

Edited by biggerdaddynj
  • Agree 3

Dawkins regressed just a bit but he is still very good. Brown has not improved. Very up and down. Morse is solid. Guard play is not really good at anything but both of them are not awful either. A second round OG should be an upgrade. 

Bates has underwhelmed with the new contract. I wonder if he will be a cap casualty. They can get similar play for far less money.

15 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Dawkins regressed just a bit but he is still very good. Brown has not improved. Very up and down. Morse is solid. Guard play is not really good at anything but both of them are not awful either. A second round OG should be an upgrade. 

Bates has underwhelmed with the new contract. I wonder if he will be a cap casualty. They can get similar play for far less money.

Bates has been playing pretty good for awhile now. Started the year slowly.

Brown wasn’t good as a rookie and still isn’t good. I have a feeling they are going to stick with him. Saffold has also improved over the season but still lacks in pass protection.

If the Bills could upgrade LG and RT next year that would be great. I just don’t know if they upgrade both. LG high in the draft is a real possibility.

1 hour ago, Sharky7337 said:

You can argue against facts all you want, but you cannot change them.

He does have a point though if you watch the game, they were beating Josh Allen to try to run between the tackles and the DTs we’re staying home and not pushing forward it was a definite defensive scheme by Miami

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

He does have a point though if you watch the game, they were beating Josh Allen to try to run between the tackles and the DTs we’re staying home and not pushing forward it was a definite defensive scheme by Miami

Your OC has to see this, if it's so apparent, and find a way to counter it. Dorsey doesn't seem good at that part. It's call a pass play, almost every play, and hope Josh can do something special.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

5 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Your OC has to see this, if it's so apparent, and find a way to counter it. Dorsey doesn't seem good at that part. It's call a pass play, almost every play, and hope Josh can do something special.

They did counter it to the tune of 33 points were you not paying attention?

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

They did counter it to the tune of 33 points were you not paying attention?

34, not 33. Again most of that's Josh's God given abilities, none of it is because of playcalling or more importantly in game adjustments. If we had an average QB this offense would suck b@lls. The whole team is on 1 person's shoulders.

Miami has an ultra aggressive defense and we did't call any draws, screens, misdirection or and trick plays. These plays have been used to slow down defenses like Miami for decades. Never thought I say it, but God I miss Daboll. 

4 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

34, not 33. Again most of that's Josh's God given abilities, none of it is because of playcalling or more importantly in game adjustments. If we had an average QB this offense would suck b@lls. The whole team is on 1 person's shoulders.

Miami has an ultra aggressive defense and we did't call any draws, screens, misdirection or and trick plays. These plays have been used to slow down defenses like Miami for decades. Never thought I say it, but God I miss Daboll. 

It’s also the way Allen plays. He’s not going to get the ball out quick. He plays like he’s super man because he can.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s also the way Allen plays. He’s not going to get the ball out quick. He plays like he’s super man because he can.

Again I think it's coaching. He was taking checkdowns quickly in the playoffs last year. I was hoping/expecting to see the same, maybe it's because of Miami was leaving their corners one on one alot yesterday.

4 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Again I think it's coaching. He was taking checkdowns quickly in the playoffs last year. I was hoping/expecting to see the same, maybe it's because of Miami was leaving their corners one on one alot yesterday.

Miami plays us the same every time. Allen was showing off a bit. He does that sometimes. He did it with Daboll as well at times.

20 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Good correction on the amount of total points

I think you’re missing the point the other thing you can do whenever a team is running cover zero 90% of the time is go deep because it’s open and Josh Allen was putting that ball right on the money. If you wanna blame somebody blame the wide receivers for dropping wide-open balls

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I think you’re missing the point the other thing you can do whenever a team is running cover zero 90% of the time is go deep because it’s open and Josh Allen was putting that ball right on the money. If you wanna blame somebody blame the wide receivers for dropping wide-open balls

I'm going to put the blame where it belongs, on the guy in charge of the offense. We're missing half an offense because Dorsey doesn't like to hand off to rbs, throw screens, call draws, misdirection, trick plays every once on a while, swing passes, slants, the list goes on and on. Long balls, Josh running, 10 yard digs and outs and intermediate crossing plays over the middle. That's really about all our offense. Give me someone that's even 70% as good of an OC as the guy in Detroit. There's a creative mind.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I'd argue that Rick Bates is still incredibly valuable as the backup OC (apparently less beloved as a RIGHT guard this year than on the LEFT last year) and longer term as the #1 candidate to take over for Mitch Morse whenever he hangs it up. Morse is NOT old for an interior OL, but we're all forever vigilant about his concussion history. Bates (signed for 3 more seasons at a reasonable rate) should take over at LG next year and the Bills should draft a STUD RG and/or RT. 

16 hours ago, Commish said:

48% ?

Seems normal.

Josh, you make better throws, what’s wrong with you? 

That’s it, we’re making Singletary the focus of our gameplan. 

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Tackles ahead of the LOS aren't sacks though its still a protection breakdown if he's wanting to flee

On 1/17/2023 at 2:39 PM, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Yes, an awful lot of this is Allen. But that's true also of every other great QB in the league, in league history, really. Having a great QB is huge. If we had an average QB we'd be a lot worse, probably pretty decent but not great.

But saying that "none of it is because of playcalling or more importantly in game adjustments," is nonsense. You can't reasonably separate things like that.

A horrendous play-caller - a Rick Dennison for example - absolutely could submarine things even with Allen on the field.

Dorsey is good for a first-year guy, but certainly needs to do keep improving. Personally, I expect him to as he learns from his experience.

On 1/17/2023 at 3:00 PM, John from Riverside said:

Allen had a great game, put a lot on the money but not nearly all of them.

You look at that time when they ran Davis deep two times in a row. He was open both times. Bad throws (on lower percentage plays, as long passes are, of course) torpedoed both plays.

On the first, Davis was ahead by a step and a half with zero safety help and Allen threw behind him, forcing Davis back into the coverage behind him and allowing the CB to make a play. The second time he again had a step with again zero safety help and Allen overthrew him by a couple of steps.

You're certainly right that there were a few bad receiver plays as well, though.

On 1/17/2023 at 7:26 PM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

48% ?

Seems normal.

Josh, you make better throws, what’s wrong with you? 

That’s it, we’re making Singletary the focus of our gameplan. 

As noted before by others, it kinda is normal when the defense gives up on safety help and decides instead to spend a lot of the game blitzing enough guys that they outnumbered the blockers. And simultaneously clogging up the short routes.

Miami played a somewhat similar plan the first game this year and totally opposite in game two.

They arranged it so that the best strategy for the Bills was often holding the ball long enough to see whether the guy running a long route managed to beat his CB and throwing it to him if he had.

The Bills still scored 34. But the Miami D did an excellent job this week.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 1/16/2023 at 9:46 AM, BuffalOhio said:

For '23, as it currently stands, the Bills are $6.4M OVER the salary cap.  https://www.spotrac.com/redirect/team/62/cap/

There are a few important players on the list of UFAs, and those will be very difficult decisions:  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/sort-value/buffalo-bills/free-agent-2023/limit-100/

While I'm thrilled that Josh is our QB and we have him long-term, his contract is going to seriously hamper our roster building over the next several years.  The same goes for every team with a high-dollar QB. 

Upgrading the O-Line through FA will be impossible.  They must draft properly.

Go Bills!

I agree, we are not doing much of anything in FA, so we better draft really well.

We don't even have a full roster signed for next year yet we are over the projected cap....  Difficult decisions loom

On 1/16/2023 at 3:55 PM, ScottLaw said:

Remember when people suggested the line and WRs were a problem before the season started and were mocked??

This has been an ongoing problem throughout McD's tenure. He's a defensive coach. He's going to emphasize defensive players every year. Is it to some degree stubborn and reckless?.... yes. This is an offensive league.  Most rules favor the offense. The best qb to ever show up on our doorstep is being told...." you and Diggs do it all".....who knows if Rousseau, Basham or Epenesa ever pan out.  Meanwhile Saffold, Brown and Quessenberry are giving Josh little support.  If this organization doesn't figure this out, I can't help them.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.