NFL greed and when will you turn it off?

Back2Buff

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

I gave up on football because fans are too dumb to know that they should start being loud while the other team is in the huddle, not just when they come to the line of scrimmage. 😂😂😂

Speaking of that, did anyone notice how long it was taking for the Dolphins QB to read the play to his teammates in the huddle? If people want to know why the play clock kept running out, there’s their answer. It looked like each play was a full paragraph. 

57 minutes ago, Zingbot2112 said:

Your getting old

Maybe, but teens these days have a way shorter attention span than the older generation, and in a general manner, are not into sports like the older generation, especially football where there are so many breaks.

If more people of my generation tune out the game, it's going to hurt because the younger generation just doesn't watch sports as much as other generations. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

The amount of commercials and the length of commercial breaks is so ridiculous at this point, it has killed the game.  An NFL game should never be 4 hours.  You are talking about 1 hour of clock time, and maybe 11 mins of actual game play.

The NFL knows there will be breaks for injuries and reviews, they should not be taking 5 mins commercials after a 1 min drive.  Over and over again, 1 min will come off the clock, and after a punt, there is 5 mins of commercials.

I rarely watch prime time NFL games because I hate all the stoppages.  On Sundays they have red zone and you pretty much avoid this nonsense.

It has become a chore to watch the Bills play exclusively, and at some point, it's just too boring to continue.

At least you have players making over 40 million a year.  Props to the NFL for continuing to increase the cash flow, while selling a worse product.

My 86 year old MiL was complaining how long the game was. She was done in!

I certainly understand the sentiment here, but who actually watches or listens to commercials anymore? I guess if you're in a sports bar, and they've got the same game on every tv, you'd be forced to hear/see the commercials, but even then, that's when you ignore them, and talk to people or go to the john.

When Im at home, I pretty much am always surfing the net on a tablet or my phone or my laptop while watching anything, and commercials always get muted til the game (or show Im watching) comes back on.

The way the NFL seems to be going is that they want to charge $$$ for everything. Thursday night games cost you this year, and PSLs have been around a long time, and are becoming more prevalent in the future. Seems they will be shutting out "Joe Six Pack" at some point.

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

The amount of commercials and the length of commercial breaks is so ridiculous at this point, it has killed the game.  An NFL game should never be 4 hours.  You are talking about 1 hour of clock time, and maybe 11 mins of actual game play.

The NFL knows there will be breaks for injuries and reviews, they should not be taking 5 mins commercials after a 1 min drive.  Over and over again, 1 min will come off the clock, and after a punt, there is 5 mins of commercials.

I rarely watch prime time NFL games because I hate all the stoppages.  On Sundays they have red zone and you pretty much avoid this nonsense.

It has become a chore to watch the Bills play exclusively, and at some point, it's just too boring to continue.

At least you have players making over 40 million a year.  Props to the NFL for continuing to increase the cash flow, while selling a worse product.

If you want to B word about TV commercials during NFL games, I am right here to agree with you.

But you made a mistake in your post. You said "it has killed the game." 

No it hasn't.  It's HORRIBLE, and it does prohibit the viewer from getting a sense of immersion in the game, like you are actually watching an event.  It's more of a constant stream of commercials interrupted by a few moments of football now and again.

But obviously it hasn't killed the game.  When viewership drops substantially, guess what?  The commercial will be reigned back in.

What I can't stand in particular is how they are now realizing they can squeeze a few more dimes of ad revenue out of doing baby "commercials" while technically NOT at a commercial break.

They stay with the game, but put graphics on the screen and the play by play guy reads an ad off a card...then they go back to discussing the game.  Sometimes they even run a prepared commercial video that lasts 15 seconds or whatever...

So the "commercials" are definitely NOT limited to commercial breaks.

My advice to you, brother: record all NFL games and watch them tape delayed.

Wait about an hour to start, and FF through all breaks, delays, and halftime BS.

You'll finish about at the same time anyway, but with no commercials and delays.

I did that all weekend for the non-Bills games.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

People keep bringing up recording the game and scrolling through commercials, or finding another TV show.

You people realize that there are people in the crowd, standing in 30 degree weather, waiting for commercials to end, correct?

Good comment but I’m actually more concerned about the players. I have no idea how they can stand around for that long and then suddenly turn it back on. It has to be very frustrating. 

• Agree 1

For us Europeans who are used to soccer the amount of commercial breaks in a football game is absurd. It’s more commercial than game. If you go get food or to the bathroom every time there is a commercial you’re probably both obese and have bladder problems. It’s a bit much to be honest. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

People keep bringing up recording the game and scrolling through commercials, or finding another TV show.

You people realize that there are people in the crowd, standing in 30 degree weather, waiting for commercials to end, correct?

Yet... McD can't get a mandatory booth review on a potential TD... He has to burn a time out. 

Glad the weirdo Miami coach had a harder time managing his timeouts... 

😆 

Just now, Freak-O said:

For us Europeans who are used to soccer the amount of commercial breaks in a football game is absurd. It’s more commercial than game. If you go get food or to the bathroom every time there is a commercial you’re probably both obese and have bladder problems. It’s a bit much to be honest. 

Yet... Ads are plastered all over the place in other sports, even on the players! You don't see ads on the uniforms, or on the TV shots from the game.

Madison Avenue will get you some how!

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

The networks have to recoup the billions they paid the NFL for broadcast right and the many millions it cost to produce each game.  It should go without saying that they get their money back from advertisers. 

In the past the NFL, with the networks and advertisers, cut down the breaks from 5 to 4 per quarter--but each break was longer to allow for the same amount of ads run per game.

There are scheduled breaks at the end of 1st and 3rd Q, 2 minute warnings and then there are 7 more allotted (total of 9) per half. These can come form TO called, instant replay review, after a score, after a kick/punt, after a turnover, or injury TO. 

Once these 7 breaks are done, there are no more stoppages needed for advertising.   Time outs become 30 second ones and there is no commercial break.  Because of all of this, it is rare to see commercial breaks in OT.

This is how it works.  Nothing new...

Games have been targeted and mostly hit 3 hours to 3 hours 15 minutes for several decades.  When the trend gets higher they make adjustments.  Sometimes in a particular game like yesterday when the Dolphins could not get play calls in they continuously used the entire play clock and plays started but then there was a timeout or a penalty they go long.   The games getting longer and longer is and more and more commercials is not a thing.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Freak-O said:

that's because there  are ads on every flat surface in sight.. including the players' jerseys.  A novice viewer could not be faulted for thinking they are watch "Qatar" playing "Etihad", for example---the team's actual logo being present as a postage stamp on the chest.

• Agree 1

I agree it's annoying but they are in the business of making money. Aren't most big corporations greedy? The TV networks are the ones that want commercials. The replay challenge is the worst. We all see the replay right away and can tell the correct call but need 2 minutes of commercials first

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

The length of the game yesterday was not on the NFL - it was on the ***** QB play of the Dolphins. He had 27 incompletions and then with the clock not moving - they still took the play clock down to zero almost every play.

If you watched other games like the Giants game where they completed most passes and ran efficiently- the game was under 3 hours.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.