Gonna throw this out there and then duck lol. Pass rush.

John from Riverside

Depends what kind of talent is available when we pick.  If it’s a Rousseau type talent, I could see it.  If it’s an AJ /boogie type talent h no.  

WR, DE, OT -  an elite guard or center would suffice, but I haven’t looked into the IOL prospects yet.  

I’d be ok with Bijan too, but he’ll be gone imo.  Bijan and Cook might be a waste of assets but if we used them at the same time, the possibility’s are exciting. Both top notch natural pass receivers.  And bijan brings the smash we are missing at RB.  

But let’s not get carried away, I highly doubt he’ll be a Bill 

2 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Hated it when it happened,hate it worse now.  Enough with all the Defensive picks!  Especially when they are missing on 80% of them

We’re missing on 80% of our pics?

13 hours ago, dpberr said:

I think the talent is there on the defensive line.  The shortcomings of pass rush is strategy. 

In the first game against the Rams, most fans would have thought Jordan Phillips or AJ Epenesa were going to break the regular season sack records with how often they were in the Rams backfield.  The game plan wanted them back there, applying that pressure.  

Historical case in point - it's really no different how the Bills went from all-world sack machines Marcel Dareus and Mario Williams under Marrone in 2014 to near invisibility with Rex Ryan the following year.  

Or why Jerry Hughes had his second highest number of sacks this year in Houston (9) this year since, you guessed it, he was with Marrone/Bills in 2013-2014.  

I would love to bring Hughes back

Inner rotation with Groot, Von Miller and Hughes?

3 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Hated it when it happened,hate it worse now.  Enough with all the Defensive picks!  Especially when they are missing on 80% of them

The 3 worst misses of the regime (and I get Beane wasn't here for 2017) are all offense:

2017 RD2 - Zay Jones

2019 RD2 - Cody Ford

2019 RD3 - Zack Moss

They are the three guys they have spent day 1 or day 2 picks on so far that they have given up on within their rookie deal.

On 1/11/2023 at 11:29 PM, John from Riverside said:

We have put a huge amount of draft resources into our defense of line over recent years

We paid Von Miller that huge contract

Groot has been excellent

I am wondering how this board will feel if another highly rated pass rusher is on the board in the first round of the draft and they end up taking them over a pass protector or a wide receiver

I’m not endorsing it I’m just saying that it’s possible if they go best player available and given the fact that Von Miller is coming back off of an ACL injury and we don’t know how long it’s going to be before he can actually play

Jerry Hughes signed a contract with another team, the Texans I believe but he’s getting on an age. I wonder if they were lease him for cap Considerations if fans would like to have him back rather than using a first round pick on a pass rusher

jesus christ. The quality of posts here have gone into the toilet. When the team is exceptionally good, ironically. Take a break buddy. 

On 1/12/2023 at 12:16 AM, Jauronimo said:

I have no issue with BPA in round 1.  We need another play maker on this team and it doesn't matter where they line up.  If need and BPA are relatively aligned, OL and WR before Dline.

I think Beane’s concept is to be proactive and trade up or down if necessary so that the BPA aligns with their needs as a team.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The 3 worst misses of the regime (and I get Beane wasn't here for 2017) are all offense:

2017 RD2 - Zay Jones

2019 RD2 - Cody Ford

2019 RD3 - Zack Moss

They are the three guys they have spent day 1 or day 2 picks on so far that they have given up on within their rookie deal.

I like that we traded them all though.  Got a 5th in 2023 for Ford.  5th for Jones.  Moss we didn't get anything for, but they do pay his salary next year which is nice.  

11 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I like that we traded them all though.  Got a 5th in 2023 for Ford.  5th for Jones.  Moss we didn't get anything for, but they do pay his salary next year which is nice.  

We got Hines for Moss.... it lowered the compensation for Hines....

21 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

If Poyer walks I could see Safety. If Edmunds walks I could see ILB. Otherwise would like IOL or WR. Definitely important to get good value at the pick and not reach though.

We have needed WR and OL all year. We can’t keep using first round picks on defense just to replace guys we are losing. At some point, we are gonna have to use premium resources on the offense. We can find a safety or LB just as easily in the mid to late rounds. Those rounds don’t always have to be relegated to the offense. 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

2017 RD2 - Zay Jones

2019 RD2 - Cody Ford

2019 RD3 - Zack Moss

Really?  So you just choose to leave out Epenesa, Basham, and bernard?

• Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Really?  So you just choose to leave out Epenesa, Basham, and bernard?

Well they haven't given up on any of those guys within their first contract have they? I think it is fair to say that the three guys picked in the first two days who the Bills have chosen to move on during their rookie deals are the most disappointing picks. 

On the three you mention, I don't think Epenesa belongs in that category, no. He has underperformed against his draft spot, sure, but he has had a pretty decent year this year and while he isn't a starter he is a valuable rotational end. Boogie Basham and Terrel Bernard are more in that camp but it is too early for both to be put there for me. If Boogie doesn't kick on in year 3 I'd throw him into that list. Bernard has some time before I call him a bust - but I wasn't a fan of the pick and I didn't love what I saw this year when he did get on the field.

EDIT: FWIW I wasn't a fan of the Boogie pick either. I had him graded as a mid 3rd rounder. What he has been in the league is pretty much what I expected him to be. 

Edited by GunnerBill

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Well they haven't given up on any of those guys within their first contract have they? I think it is fair to say that the three guys picked in the first two days who the Bills have chosen to move on during their rookie deals are the most disappointing picks. 

On the three you mention, I don't think Epenesa belongs in that category, no. He has underperformed against his draft spot, sure, but he has had a pretty decent year this year and while he isn't a starter he is a valuable rotational end. Boogie Basham and Terrel Bernard are more in that camp but it is too early for both to be put there for me. If Boogie doesn't kick on in year 3 I'd throw him into that list. Bernard has some time before I call him a bust - but I wasn't a fan of the pick and I didn't love what I saw this year when he did get on the field.

EDIT: FWIW I wasn't a fan of the Boogie pick either. I had him graded as a mid 3rd rounder. What he has been in the league is pretty much what I expected him to be. 

To be fair, Basham was picked at the tail end of the second round, and the difference between that and the third round is pretty small -- e.g., between the 61st pick (where he went) and, say, the 75th pick.  

31 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

To be fair, Basham was picked at the tail end of the second round, and the difference between that and the third round is pretty small -- e.g., between the 61st pick (where he went) and, say, the 75th pick.  

Yep, that's true. It was more about the guys that went right around that pick that I just thought were better.... either Humphrey or Myers as IOL, Cisco who went to the Jags at safety and if you had to have a second defensive end Joseph Ossai who went to Cincy and after losing his entire rookie year to an ACL has had more production than Boogie this year in a very similar rotational role (actually Boogie has played a bit more than Ossai). Now obviously my board and Brandon Beane's board are not the same but they said they had Boogie "sticking out" so suspect they had him graded much higher. I remember when it got to that pick being pretty excited because there were lots of guys still on my board who I was high on and thought were in play and then they picked someone I was lukewarm on. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep, that's true. It was more about the guys that went right around that pick that I just thought were better.... either Humphrey or Myers as IOL, Cisco who went to the Jags at safety and if you had to have a second defensive end Joseph Ossai who went to Cincy and after losing his entire rookie year to an ACL has had more production than Boogie this year in a very similar rotational role (actually Boogie has played a bit more than Ossai). Now obviously my board and Brandon Beane's board are not the same but they said they had Boogie "sticking out" so suspect they had him graded much higher. I remember when it got to that pick being pretty excited because there were lots of guys still on my board who I was high on and thought were in play and then they picked someone I was lukewarm on. 

Yeah it really would have been nice to plug Humphrey or Myers into the line. Still hoping Basham can do something over the next couple years. 

The Bernard pick is going to be a head-scratcher for a while I fear. Curious to know who you would have liked in that slot instead?

On 1/11/2023 at 8:55 PM, Airseven said:

They need to build around Allen. They need to draft all offense - 3 OL, WR, RB, TE. Period.

Use free agency to add a few bargain deals on defense. And franchise tag Edmunds.

What’ll actually move the needle for this team is investing around the best player. 

Agreed. We need to help Allen. He needs protection and playmakers. I hate seeing these teams with young speedy playmakers. I love Diggs. He's one of the best route runners in the NFL. But he's not a game breaking YAC guy. We need some of that.

On 1/11/2023 at 9:14 PM, SCBills said:

Hit on another Rousseau and I’ll never criticize them going after pass rushers early. 

They better be right though.  

Fanbase justifiably has zero patience for another rotational DE like Epenesa and Basham early while we ask Allen to do everything. 

We need help on offense, but I can't really argue with you. DE is a premium position and you can never have enough good pass rushers. But like you said, you have to hit on them. Elite passrushers are rarely found at the end of round 1. Seems like you either pick one top 10, or get lucky with a late round gem.

On 1/12/2023 at 10:41 AM, TheBeaneBandit said:

Don't be surprised if a DT is picked in the 3rd or 4th round to take Phillips spot and understudy for Jones. All this stuff will depend on value=need of course. You can sometimes score a DJ Reader type DT in that range who just needs a year or two of seasoning.

There are some gigantic nose tackles in this draft.  I could see Beane drafting a big DT for short yardage and to squash runs 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.