final DVOA stats up - Bills #1 overall

dave mcbride

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yesterday was a huge plus for special teams for sure.  

Not sure about #2 on offense anymore.  To start the year yes but it has but up ad down since then.     

Most teams are up and down over the season 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think this team has figure out how to win, even if it's ugly. The offense has been sporadic at times, but compared to years past it has been more consistent overall. I think people get frustrated we don't have the big plays like we have seen. It honestly feels more like the Brady lead Pats teams. Very steady and tricky in that you feel like they aren't doing much but they are putting up substantial yards and consistent points. 

Defense is very similar too. Feels like teams move on them at will but the number say otherwise. Not playing a high powered Bengals offense helped them with the final stats though. 

I hope they get to the next gear for the playoffs if, for nothing else, my heart health. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

All the advanced team metrics love Bills DVOA, SRS, FPI, 538. The eye test hasn't been passed lately.

You can say that about so many teams. The Chiefs have struggled to win a lot of games this year. Philly barely beat Indy, and probably should have lost. The Bengals got waxed by the Browns and arguably should have lost to the Patriots if not for a bad non-call on Stevenson's forward progress. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

All the advanced team metrics love Bills DVOA, SRS, FPI, 538. The eye test hasn't been passed lately.

My eyes are seeing that the Bills haven't lost a game since Nov. 13th and that their three losses were by a total of 8 points combined .. and that the Bills have the 2nd best point differential in the NFL.

Passing with flying colors, in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 7

3 minutes ago, psuscott16 said:

I think this team has figure out how to win, even if it's ugly. The offense has been sporadic at times, but compared to years past it has been more consistent overall. I think people get frustrated we don't have the big plays like we have seen. It honestly feels more like the Brady lead Pats teams. Very steady and tricky in that you feel like they aren't doing much but they are putting up substantial yards and consistent points. 

Defense is very similar too. Feels like teams move on them at will but the number say otherwise. Not playing a high powered Bengals offense helped them with the final stats though. 

I hope they get to the next gear for the playoffs if, for nothing else, my heart health. 

The Brady/Pats teams are a good comparison. You never seemed to think they were unbeatable and it looked a bit clunky at times but when it needed to get done it got done.

People seem to forget that even with all the injuries, issues, setbacks this team is still 13-3 and its 3 losses have come from a combined 8(!) points.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yesterday was a huge plus for special teams for sure.  

Not sure about #2 on offense anymore.  To start the year yes but it has but up ad down since then.     

Idk the formula but we are the best on third down and we are second in ypg and ppg.  We scored less than 20 once all season and that was because our entire offensive line was injured lol

DVOA factors in opponents and we’ve got two division rivals with really tough defenses to score on 

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

My eyes are seeing that the Bills haven't lost a game since Nov. 13th and that their three losses were by a total of 8 points combined .. and that the Bills have the 2nd best point differential in the NFL.

Passing with flying colors, in my opinion.

The best point differential in the NFL on a per game basis, actually. SF played one more game than they did. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

#4 defense even though about half of the key starters were injured.

#2 offense even though we can't/won't commit to the run.

Man, we need new coordinators.

Shouldn’t we just fire everyone and clean house properly? 

Like McD, I think Dorsey needs some time to grow into the job. People get upset with Frazier because of our frustrating style of keeping things in front of us, but it works. Regardless, he’s just running McD’s system. 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

#4 defense even though about half of the key starters were injured.

#2 offense even though we can't/won't commit to the run.

Man, we need new coordinators.

I think that will be determined following the season. The playoffs is the only season that matters. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

The eye test from our fans seems pretty biased though in that we give our opponents zero credit.  Cincy who is apparently the best thing since sliced bread got taken right down to the wire by NE and would’ve lost that game if it weren’t for a key fumble. 

• Agree 2

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

The eye test from our fans seems pretty biased though in that we give our opponents zero credit.  Cincy who is apparently the best thing since sliced bread got taken right down to the wire by NE and would’ve lost that game if it weren’t for a key fumble. 

And it was a horrible non-call. Stevenson had been driven back three yards and progress had been stopped. Not challengeable, though.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

How many in a row have they won? I hear you, they weren't razor sharp yesterday, but they won by 12.

Imagine how fun it will be if we starting clicking again for the playoffs. We all know Super Bowls are won when you peak at the right time. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.