What if the Bills refuse to play the Patriots?

HOUSE

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

Let me ask you in terms you might understand better, what happens to the league, if the Bills only play 15 games, the Bengals play 16 and the rest of the league plays 17? In literally a 2 week time frame this all has to be decided. How would they proceed with the playoffs?

Well I think regardless of the Patriots game, it's likely that the Bills and Bengals will only play 16 games this season while the rest of the league plays 17 and things will boil down to win percentage.  I prefer they flip a coin but that's something the league will shy away from. So given that, the Bills playing 15 isn't some huge problem.  The biggest problem as far as competition goes is the potential of the Pats simply being handed a win and automatically advancing when other teams were led to believe they were still in the hunt.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Let me ask you in terms you might understand better, what happens to the league, if the Bills only play 15 games, the Bengals play 16 and the rest of the league plays 17? In literally a 2 week time frame this all has to be decided. How would they proceed with the playoffs?

They give the Bills "L" because they forfeit and move on.  Life isnt always fair buddy.  Sometimes you just do what you have to do.  

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

I doubt that too.  Professional football players are human beings, just like you and me.  Very adults would be wiling to say "I know you saw somebody on fire from a car accident, but my trauma is worse than yours."  Like, not a soul would say that.   

You like being told what to do by people that couldn’t begin to do your job?  Because that’s what I’ve been talking about. Posters demanding and insisting they get back on the field are out of touch with their own importance. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

But the odds of someone quitting over that probably won't happen. And the Bills as a team can't just quit going to work. Maybe the whole nfl should just shut down. This is insane

Look at 9/11. Different situation obviously but still an enormous event in history. The NFL went on. MLB went on. How many players quit? The Pat Tillman story was so huge because it was so rare. Would not be a shock to see a player retire over this, but I don't know. 

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I was listening to Booger on TV, and he was saying that if he was a current teammate, he would not suit up for an NFL football game again until there was 100% assurance that Damar was going to be fine. He said it’s too much emotion in a game and he would not be in the mindset to play now.

So if we assume even a fraction of the current Bills feel like this, they legitimately could decide not to play.  And Troy Vincent i believe indicated that McDermott was having a very difficult time too.

I get the talk around the mental struggles from seeing the event unfold in front of guys. The impact that can have. 

But for it to be about knowing he is ok is something else. That is separate from the trauma. How is that different than a teammate in a car accident or some other event that results in them fighting for their life? How about a players family member? Kind of harsh but being an NFL player carries some high expectations that normal folks dont have placed on them. The NFL will not wait for you. I think they are treading lightly in this case because it happened on live TV. Imagine if Damar was hit by a bus leaving practice and the whole team watched? I honestly dont know if the NFL would be saying "dont worry about playing this game, we will figure soemthing out". 

2 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I’m sure the league has smart enough people to figure how to deal with that extremely unlikely scenario. The fact that you don’t like that happening or can’t fathom what would happen, if it did, doesn’t mean they can’t figure out a solution. 

This isn't about me or any feelings I have lol. That's what you people don't understand. The bottom line is, if the Bills as a team with one week left to go until the playoffs say "we don't wanna play this week, and we may not be up for the playoffs either", it leads to a whole string of problems that the NFL has to solve. These guys know they have to keep going. It just has to happen. NOT BECAUSE I WANT IT TO, because it has to

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

You like being told what to do by people that couldn’t begin to do your job?  Because that’s what I’ve been talking about. Posters demanding and insisting they get back on the field are out of touch with their own importance. 

My parents and I got back in the car and went our way, which was to one of my college visits four hours down the road.  Dial it back a little with your own sense of importance.

Seriously, you're right that it's not the biggest deal in the world.  Give the Bills a loss and just move on, no problem.  I'm tired of twenty-somethings explaining the deep secrets of life to me.  Get bent and enjoy your own old age when you'll come around.

Edited by BillsFanSD

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I was listening to Booger on TV, and he was saying that if he was a current teammate, he would not suit up for an NFL football game again until there was 100% assurance that Damar was going to be fine. He said it’s too much emotion in a game and he would not be in the mindset to play now.

Yeah, that's all too easy to say now that's he's retired. The reality is that we may not know about Hamlin's long-term prognosis for awhile. Does the team not play until (hopefully) he's out of the woods? That just doesn't seem realistic. Do you think the majority of them would be okay punting the rest of the season away. My guess would be no, but I don't personally know any of these guys.

2 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

My parents and I got back in the car and went our way, which was to one of my college visits four hours down the road.  Dial it back a little with your own sense of importance.

I wasn’t speaking to you. 

Also, did you not notice my name?

Edited by WotAGuy

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

They give the Bills "L" because they forfeit and move on.  Life isnt always fair buddy.  Sometimes you just do what you have to do.  

And if they give the Bills an L, then what? If the Bills said, "we don't wanna play the playoffs either". Is the NFL supposed to say "that's OK, we will hand pick a team in one week to take your place"? This team has worked too hard, they know what they are facing, they know they have to move on

The internet.   Any absurd thought gets examined and debated.   Virtue signalers stake out positions with flimsy reasoning and insult one another.   Once in a lifetime tragic event.   Prayers and well wishes.  Sincere attention and consideration of what can be done better, next time.

The world doesn’t stop.   There was a time when teams dedicated extraordinary effort to the Hamlins of the world.   I expect the Bills to do the same.  I’d be disappointed if they don’t.

Edited by Neo

From the upper deck I could see them pumping away frantically at his chest & the AED out to shock him back to life. It took the wind out of my sails for this season. What I couldn't see, was them sticking a long tube down the throat of his lifeless body to intubate him so he could breathe, but his teammates got a real up close look at that. Everyone has their breaking point. Everyone. It's our team, but it's their life. The decision is & should be up to them. They may be forced to play but if their hearts not in it I would understand. I know they have to get back up but if that's not until next year I wouldn't be surprised, a few might even walk away for good. I really, really, really want them to win a SB. But right now, I want nothing more than Damar Hamlin to wake up & walk out of that hospital. What the players decide they can handle doing is up to them, I for one will support them either way. Go Bills!

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Look at 9/11. Different situation obviously but still an enormous event in history. The NFL went on. MLB went on. How many players quit? The Pat Tillman story was so huge because it was so rare. Would not be a shock to see a player retire over this, but I don't know. 

I get the talk around the mental struggles from seeing the event unfold in front of guys. The impact that can have. 

But for it to be about knowing he is ok is something else. That is separate from the trauma. How is that different than a teammate in a car accident or some other event that results in them fighting for their life? How about a players family member? Kind of harsh but being an NFL player carries some high expectations that normal folks dont have placed on them. The NFL will not wait for you. I think they are treading lightly in this case because it happened on live TV. Imagine if Damar was hit by a bus leaving practice and the whole team watched? I honestly dont know if the NFL would be saying "dont worry about playing this game, we will figure soemthing out". 

The NFL postponed the week 2 games and MLB took nearly a week off due to 9/11. So yes, both leagues 'went on' - but not without postponements.

Just to be clear I am not an advocate for postponing week 18, but when I read your post it reads as if there was no disruption dur to 9/11

3 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

And if they give the Bills an L, then what? If the Bills said, "we don't wanna play the playoffs either". Is the NFL supposed to say "that's OK, we will hand pick a team in one week to take your place"? This team has worked too hard, they know what they are facing, they know they have to move on

Couldn’t they just select the #8 seed in that case to replace the Bills after bumping up the seeds above?

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

The NFL postponed the week 2 games and MLB took nearly a week off due to 9/11. So yes, both leagues 'went on' - but not without postponements.

Just to be clear I am not an advocate for postponing week 18, but when I read your post it reads as if there was no disruption dur to 9/11

I agree with the postponements which is what the NFL has done. Mon game postponed, practices and media sessions delayed, etc. But ending a season would have been a different story. 

• Like (+1) 1

As one NFL player said today from another team… “Unfortunately we don’t get any PTO”

I think it will obviously be a huge lift if the team gets any inside info that Damar is improving, not out of the woods, but improving. 

I think the team will ultimately play this weekend. It won’t be easy, but that’s what these guys do, they play football.. and frankly i don’t think they will play all that well. Just think about the physicality New England will bring here with their playoffs on the line.  I just hope everyone is mentally ready if they do play so no one gets hurt badly out there. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, PonyBoy said:

What if the Patriots refuse to play too as a display of solidarity for player safety? The NFL has looked bad this year(Tua & more). 

Would be quite a statement. 🤔

Sounds good, but in all honesty what could have the league done better in this situation as it pertains to player safety?

Freak accident. No possible way to plan/prevent that and still call it tackle football.

They have definitely looked bad this year, but this isn't one of the situations.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.