Super Bowl - Are you likely to go?

Captain Caveman

Super Bowl - are you likely to go?  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Are you likely to attend a Bills Super Bowl?

• Of Course
    • Nuh-uh
    • Not Sure

6 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Tucson is 2 hours away... Phoenix metro area is pretty large, I'm surprised you couldn't find a hotel closer.

He could but the rates are around $1,000/night at the cheaper ones that are left.  Meanwhile, places like Tucson are reasonable & they're the closest alternative that has a local airport.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I would rather go to a super bowl where I was casual observer.  I don't want to watch the Bills play the most important game in franchise history surrounded by a mostly indifferent crowd.

I probably don't need to think about it as much as I just did.

The crowd around us at the two Super Bowls we attended were far from  indifferent. I’m not sure where that reputation comes from. Was the crowd falling down drunk? No. Was the crowd acting like immature high schoolers looking to get into fights? No. Everyone was cheering and having a great time! We had a similar experience when we saw the Bills play in London. Maybe I’m getting too old for the fanatic antics, or the drunken misbehavior, but I’ll take fans having the time of their lives…any day! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Tucson is 2 hours away... Phoenix metro area is pretty large, I'm surprised you couldn't find a hotel closer.

Seeing this sent me to Bonvoy to look for rooms.  I booked three nights in Tucson for a total of around $1000, total.  Then I looked at their options in Phoenix.  They have more than 20 hotels listed, and all but four are sold out.  Town Suites and SpringHill Suites for $900 a night, Fairfield Inn for $1000, and Tempe Westin for $1300 a night.  

Still don't know if I'll go, but at least I'll have a room to stay in.  

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

The crowd around us at the two Super Bowls we attended were far from  indifferent. I’m not sure where that reputation comes from. Was the crowd falling down drunk? No. Was the crowd acting like immature high schoolers looking to get into fights? No. Everyone was cheering and having a great time! We had a similar experience when we saw the Bills play in London. Maybe I’m getting too old for the fanatic antics, or the drunken misbehavior, but I’ll take fans having the time of their lives…any day! 

I love telling this story.   I scalped tickets for XXV.   Turned out we were in the section allotted to the Giants.  I started talking to the guy behind me.   His family had had seasons to the Giants for decades.   In the early 80s his job was transferred from NYC to Buffalo.  He bought Bills seasons and  kept his Giants tix.  Later in the 80s he got transferred back to NYC.   He kept his Bills tix.   That season he went to every Giants home game and to every Bills home game if the Giants were away.   He went to every playoff game for both teams, except the NFC championship game, which was in SF and he couldn't get from Buffalo in time for the game on the coast the next day.  Then he went to the Super Bowl.   

He was a winner either way the kick went.  

• Like (+1) 1

I've been to 2 Super Bowls, 1 loss and 1 win.  The loss was the Bills in Atlanta for their 4th consecutive SB against the Cowboys (a game they absolutely should have won but for poor 2nd half play and coaching).  The win was the Bucs over the Raiders in San Diego. The Bucs were my NFC team dating back to their creamsicle days when I'd pull for them as perennial underdogs... my support of the Bucs temporarily stopped the moment Brady signed there, and won't resume till he's gone.  Absolutely hated seeing them win their 2nd SB with him as QB.

I'm glad I got to experience 2 Super Bowls back before pricing became insanely stupid, just wish I had witnessed the Bills winning instead of the Bucs!  Witnessing a Super Bowl win is so much more exhilarating than the heartache of a loss, compiled by the enormous expenses that just feel wasted at that point.  At this stage of my life, semi-retired at age 54 after 35 years in healthcare administration, no event is going to get that sort or cash outlay for 3-4 hours of entertainment.  I'd go to the host city and enjoy the ambiance, but skip attending the game in person and instead watch it with friends and family or at a bar.  

Go Bills!

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Seeing this sent me to Bonvoy to look for rooms.  I booked three nights in Tucson for a total of around $1000, total.  Then I looked at their options in Phoenix.  They have more than 20 hotels listed, and all but four are sold out.  Town Suites and SpringHill Suites for $900 a night, Fairfield Inn for $1000, and Tempe Westin for $1300 a night.  

Still don't know if I'll go, but at least I'll have a room to stay in.  

Damn, that's crazy

On 12/30/2022 at 12:17 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

With the exception of Atlanta, every Super Bowl I've been to I was surrounded by real football fans, mostly for one or the other team.  Don't knock something until you've tried it.  Obviously from a financial standpoint it's better to be home, but for enjoyment of the game nothing beats being there.  

I agree Atlanta was so corporate and indifferent.  I had seats gifted to us from one of the coaches back then, so we were on the Bills sideline on the 202-25 yardline about 10-15 rows up.  First half when things were going our way, the fans around us were all cheering for the Bills, when Thurman fumbled, they all rooted for the Cowboys. None of them actually cared who won they just wanted to be rooting for the winner as they all turned on a dime with that fumble.  I regretted not selling out tix for for $2+k a piece we were offered before the game, however, with the free tix was the promise to not resell them, thus we stuck with that.

At my 2nd Super Bowl in San Diego, the crowd was not nearly as indifferent and cheering regardless of whomever scored or did well.  San Diego had a college atmosphere with Bucs fans on one sideline and Raiders on the other.   Fortunately we were seated on the Bucs side, roughly 50 yardline in the higher rows of the upper deck at Qualcomm.  We had an incredible fun section filled with Bucs fans, save 2 Raider fans who were next to us, and they were cool as could be and had a blast with all of us despite the Raiders losing.  Funny story was at halftime a couple of Bucs came up to our sections and asked the Raiders fans if they would be interested in swapping seats to sit with Raiders fans in near identical seats on the Raiders sideline.  They declined as they wanted no part of sitting with Raider Nation after they have made so many friends around them on the Bucs sideline, even though we were all rooting for the Bucs.   They made a smart call, as when things went downhill for the Raiders in the 2nd half, there were numerous fights and brawls among the Raiders fans in those sections.  Instead, they had a blast with a fun group of Bucs fans and mourned the Raiders loss among new friends.

I agree, the outdoor experience was so much better than a dome, but I think who you're sitting around make's a huge difference in enjoyment.  Avoid the corporate sections in the lower bowl and sit up high with the real fans there to pull for their team!

On 12/30/2022 at 6:09 PM, Shaw66 said:

My wife and I went to XXV.   We were in different financial circumstances then, and my wife sort of didn't ask and I sort of didn't tell her how much I spent to get tickets.   And yes, the game ended badly, but I have never for a moment regretted spending the money to experience that game.   It's an iconic Bills game, and to have been there, regardless of the outcome, was worth it.  The money, we earned back.  The memories of that experience connect me to the Bills for all time.  It's not about the money.  It's about a lifetime of memories.  

EXCELLENT THREAD!

There are two tales here I really liked, but I’m going to pinch part of Shah’s. Because… well that was MY first SB- a 6 day trip to Florida, culminating with the SB. I foolishly didn’t ante up for our SB Tix and therefore had to hit up a scalper (and relative of my wife’s family ) for $500.

(Did not make the same foolish mistake for XXVII, the cost being $150. All other costs were minimal… except… except… I had seen the Bills crush the Rayduhs in the AFCC and the Fish the week before that. The Giants had miraculously knocked off the 49ers and my buddies & I and the +7.5 oddsmakers gave them no chance!

Soooo… with my wife’s lawyer cousin (Giants’ fans from Manhattan) I made the biggest bet of my life at the time- a dime on the Bills -7.5. PLUS, I had already placed $100 on line on them @4.5/1 previously. 🙄 Like Shaw, I did not discuss this with my wife and it was a humiliating lesson learned the following week, when I sent off a U.S. Money Order.

Decades later, I’ve got lots of $, but I’m much older now and have been to two already. If I were still a Season Tix holder, winning the lottery draw would be my only choice. But, I’m not paying 6 dimes for a ticket, plus, plus.

People are on the right track here about alternate options.The obvious one is to head to Buffalo-to find the coolest venue to watch with fellow Bills fans. Likely, MY choice!

The other, suggested here and discussed with a fellow Bills buddy 2 months ago, involved flying to Las Vegas and heading to Phoenix to watch outside the Stadium or again- the most suitable venue. Nope, even though I have a family member with friends there.

However, for those interested in this type of cheapie Vegas- Phoenix trip, including those attending the game, I did scope out a very cheap hotel on the way back to Vegas.

Parker, AZ is 2.5 hours from Phoenix, more than half way to Vegas. The Hampton Inn with a Triple A discount is now up to… wait for it… $150!😂 Something to think about.

The game itself, as some who’ve been previously have already stated, is simply bigger than life… much, much bigger! As stated before, at XXV, tailgated as usual all day, but did not have a single beer at the game, I was so awestruck by everything. This was the Whitney Houston Star Spangled Banner as well. ✔️

GLTA going, should the Bills win their next 4.

Go 🦬 on Monday!!

Edited by Billsatlastin2018

I would rather be in downtown Buffalo, watching with the diehard locals. During the Sabres’ glory years, I believe there were large screen TVs set up outside the arena. My dream is a similar outdoor “plaza style” set up. I would come home for that.

* I haven’t read through the thread. So, if this thought has already been shared, sorry.

It would be too pricey for me. I would have to take my wife, son and nephew. That puts walk-in at $20,000, not even taking into account ancillaries. Probably end up over $30k. Not to mention how upset my daughter-in-law and my nephew’s wife would be for leaving them out (one is a Bills fan but married into it; the other is a Chargers fan).

No, we’ve already decided that if Buffalo is in it, we will go somewhere together (all 6 of us) to watch the game. We could go to the Caribbean for half that to watch the game. And I would be with the Bills fans that mean the most to me. 

My brother lives near Phoenix, I actually wanted to go out back in 2020 to see him and go to the Cardinals game (but the pandemic made that impossible). 

I do not, however, have the kind of disposable income to even think about a SB trip. I’d rather be here at home anyway - or maybe in TN with my dad depending on his schedule,

I booked a flight to Phoenix-I can cancel & get a credit I'll use later in the year.  A rental car I can cancel for late Friday-Tuesday morning and a motel I can cancel in Casa Grande Arizona, an hour +/- away.  I still will have to buy my ticket to the game & find parking in Glendale. Right now the total costs for those 3 items if they make it before parking & ticket is $2,563. I believe the costs will be a lot higher if I wait until after the AFC Championship game. 

I figure around $6,000 for the ticket & a couple of hundred for parking or park & ride.  So around $8,700 grand total, of which $4,900 will be covered by my futures bet to win the AFC which cost $950.  So my total out of pocket costs will be around $4,800. If they don't win the AFC my future bet goes down the drain and I don't have any costs since everything is either refundable or in the case of the flight a credit for a future flight. 

Edit: I had to cancel my original motel because the reviews were horrific.  I'm paying an additional $783 for the room and edited above. 

Edited by Albany,n.y.

Reserved a refundable hotel room in October in downtown Phoenix and booked a refundable plane ticket on frequent flyer miles. I also placed a bet in September for the Bills to make the Super Bowl that should cover about half my ticket. (I also did all of this last year.) My one in-person Super Bowl experience to date (Seahawks-Broncos) taught me how big a hole in my heart there is from the Bills’ losses in the early 1990s, and forged an internal commitment to going if ever the Bills get back. I am in my mid-50s so feel like this window may be the best shot in my lifetime. And I still Billieve THIS YEAR’S team can do it!!!

• Like (+1) 2

I haven’t lived in Buffalo in over 20 years. Let’s see: West Palm Beach, Tucson AZ, Virginia Beach, DC, back to VB, Hoboken NJ, and now Santa Barbara. I have watched games all around the country. 

And if the Bills make the SB, there is one place I’ll be: on my parents couch in Buffalo, with my perma-pessimist Dad who is responsible for my undying Bills fandom. We text non-stop every Sunday, and I go to Buffalo for thanksgiving so got to see some awesome games with him recently.

So the SB? I’ll be on that big old couch in Derby, NY, eating Pasquale’s Pizza and wings. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.