Learning Football / Football 101

saundena

I've been watching the game for almost 30 years but admittedly, I'm not a very strong X's and O's fella. 

I know the basics of course and understand at a high level the chess match that is Offense versus Defens; but always find myself watching the ball versus diagnosing and recognizing what is happening before and after the snap. I think having a better understanding of these things and increasing my ability to recognize them in real time will enhance my enjoyment of the game.

Do anybody have recommendations for a really good football X's and O's book that really goes into the details on thing like blocking schemes, coverage packages, how players' talent and physical traits impact personnel groupings and substitutions, etc?

Thanks!

• Like (+1) 6

My 13 year old son just started watching football last year and I am amazed at what he has picked up X's and O's wise simply by playing Madden.  He is able to call out coverages now and then when we are at the game and he will identify where Josh should go with the ball based on the look the defense is showing...and he's usually right!  Smarter than me, which admittedly isn't saying much.

• Like (+1) 7

7 minutes ago, saundena said:

I've been watching the game for almost 30 years but admittedly, I'm not a very strong X's and O's fella. 

I know the basics of course and understand at a high level the chess match that is Offense versus Defens; but always find myself watching the ball versus diagnosing and recognizing what is happening before and after the snap. I think having a better understanding of these things and increasing my ability to recognize them in real time will enhance my enjoyment of the game.

Do anybody have recommendations for a really good football X's and O's book that really goes into the details on thing like blocking schemes, coverage packages, how players' talent and physical traits impact personnel groupings and substitutions, etc?

Thanks!

Ken crippen on Facebook has a football learning academy that posts neat stuff about the history and some background stuff. A former member here, as well

• Like (+1) 1

The best way to do this is join football knowledgeable folks to watch the games with. One of my favorite experiences was years ago when @GGcame up to the nosebleeds and we watched part of the game together pretty much color commenting and analyzing each play. He has a great grasp of the game.

I also did this to @Royale with Cheeseand 4 or 5 Texans fans in Houston. The Texans fans thought I was a wizard because I called 5 plays accurately in a row at one point. 

anyway, if there are specifics you want I like x's and O's more than anything and would love to bloviate about it. 

Recommend the following YouTube channels/sites that break things down really well and explain things:

Cover1 - Bills focused coverage with a wide variety of content and breakdowns on just about anything and everything...exceptionally well done most times and very informative

https://www.youtube.com/@Cover1

JT O'Sullivan QB School - former NFL QB that has a TON of content on pretty much everything NFL related from what happens during the weekly preparations, film study, meetings, etc to breaking down QB film and games. Has several on Josh Allen.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheQBSchool

Kurt Warner - former NFL MVP and Super Bowl winning QB with tons of great content on QB play and many other topics

https://www.youtube.com/c/kurtwarnerqbc

Coverage Concepts: 

Steve Spagnuoulo - Chiefs DC breaking down defense

Great site with a lot of good content...college based but most is relevant for any level of football:

https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/football-101

Another great site with tons of film breakdown on wide variety of topics:

http://nflbreakdowns.com/

Former NFL Player Brian Baldinger with his breakdowns of plays/players...does a wide variety and always has some Bills ones in there.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/channel/baldy-s-breakdowns-vc

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, teef said:

edit:  i saw it was released in 2010, so i'm not sure if you feel that current enough.

There is so much great content out there to watch on Youtube/Twitter/NFL.com etc I am not sure buying a book is even worth it

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

My 13 year old son just started watching football last year and I am amazed at what he has picked up X's and O's wise simply by playing Madden.  He is able to call out coverages now and then when we are at the game and he will identify where Josh should go with the ball based on the look the defense is showing...and he's usually right!  Smarter than me, which admittedly isn't saying much.

You are correct on madden. It has limits but it’s pretty great for diagnosing coverage and blitz packages etc etc.. 
I actually learned quite a bit about different RPO packages just from playing. 

8 minutes ago, teef said:

edit:  i saw it was released in 2010, so i'm not sure if you feel that current enough.

Great read and allows one to follow personnel/formation/coverages to determine pre-snap reads.  Take Your Eye OFF the Ball by Pat Kirwan from Moving the Chains show on Sirius NFL is a great and easy read.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I think YouTube is going to be a better tool than books here.  My favorite channel is Brett Kollman’s.

I agree, I would recommend youtube coaching videos/ websites

A search of 'coaching football defenses' or 'coaching football offenses' will yield a treasure trove.

IMO Cover1 and Baldy's breakdowns are really educational film review of NFL games/ plays.

My knowledge came from playing up to high school, and then admittedly video games.

The game evolves so quickly I look things up all the time with new innovations and terminology.

Stuff I have had to look up:

What the heck is a wide-9 Defensive alignment?

When did we start calling calling offensive packages 11 or 21? (Pro-set or 3 Wide anyone?)

How is a Pistol different than shotgun?

Also keep a chart like this one handy. Any video or text (book or site) going into depth will talk about defensive alignments and offensive gaps.

The game is still largely determined by controlling/ exploiting the line of scrimmage.

Picture1.0.png

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.