I thought 10-3 would feel better...

Inigo Montoya

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

Again did he play well yesterday?  Is he really that bad a QB and only KC's defense is to blame for him playing well?

Based on his entire career? You'd say no. But based on the last couple of years, yes. There is simply no argument that he hasn't been atrocious this year. He made a couple of nice throws yesterday to a wide open Jerry Jeudy. But Jeudy has been open a LOT this year and Russ has been taking sacks from holding the ball instead. I'm not giving the Chiefs defense credit for allowing Wilson to go over his season average. They played bad defense. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Definitely not exactly killing it lately but man, how much have expectations changed? We used to pray for being listen in the hunt at like 6-7. Now we aren’t happy with 10-3 and a number 1 set. You do what you need to do to make the dance. So many ebbs and flows in a season. Enjoy the ride and be happy we have a Chance to play for a SB with a top qb and a good defense. We have plenty of time to complain if they lose in the off-season. 🤗

Hey Biscuit, appreciate your post. 

I though I'd repost my original below, because I think like a game of telephone, what my post was about has morphed a bit in the last 14 pages of responses.  I'm not upset we're 10-3, I'm happy were 10-3, I think it's a hell of an accomplishment that we are 10-3 and the #1 seed with everything this team has had to overcome.  And despite a dozen+ posts to the contrary by different people here, I'm not upset with how the Bills are playing. 

My post was about how it has been a rough slog and I always thought that the Bills sitting at 10-3 would make me feel on top of the world, but the road to get there has been so difficult that I haven't enjoyed it as much as I thought I would.  I didn't think that would be a controversial opinion.  Silly me.  

🍻

Original post:

"After beating the Jets today the Bills are 10-3 and in the lead in the AFCE and sitting as the #1 seed in the AFC.  If you had taken a poll here at the start of the season and asked if we would take those stats heading into week 15 of the season, I think it would be 80/20 in favor of it.

Recognizing the Bills are sitting in a very good position right now, why does it feel like this has been a really rough season?

Maybe it's the constant parade of injuries?  The bad loses to the Phins, Jets, and Vikings?  Maybe the fact that we haven't seen the Bills' offense find that gear that they ended the season in last season?  Or maybe it's because the Bills have left themselves no room for error going forward if they want to win the division and the #1 seed?

I'm not complaining about where the Bills are sitting at right now, I just imagined 10-3 would feel a whole lot better than it does."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Based on his entire career? You'd say no. But based on the last couple of years, yes. There is simply no argument that he hasn't been atrocious this year. He made a couple of nice throws yesterday to a wide open Jerry Jeudy. But Jeudy has been open a LOT this year and Russ has been taking sacks from holding the ball instead. I'm not giving the Chiefs defense credit for allowing Wilson to go over his season average. They played bad defense. 

How about we get back to responding to the thread and not whether my throw away comment including KC taking care of business?🤣

I didn't post that line to start a 5 page back & forth as to whether Denver is good or not.

Just in case you're wondering KC put up more yards vs. them then anyone this year.  The first 300 yard passing game they've allowed.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/2022.htm

Juxtaposed this was the most points Denver scored, but only the 6th most yards they've gained.

Want more stats (or explain how I'm wrong here)?

Edited by Billsfan1972

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

How about we get back to responding to the thread and not whether my throw away comment including KC taking care of business?🤣

I didn't past that line to start a 5 page back & forth as to whether Denver is good or not.

Just in case you're wondering KC put up more yards vs. them then anyone this year.  The first 300 yard passing game they've allowed.

Juxtaposed this was the most points Denver scored, but only the 6th most yards they've gained.

angry u mad GIF by Mayfly

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

He's been horrible this year, but over his career has not been.  Is it declining skills or games plans & the OC?  I don't watch them every week, but know they have been terrible in the red zone.

Answer the question.  Yes I would have been pissed as I was about Minny (a worse screw up and a loss).  

This was not about Denver.  I made a comment in a post about teams taking care of business and yes in the end KC did on the road against a division rival who had a great comeback but fell short.

Other teams I mentioned were Philly & SF.  Dallas struggled, I will give you that.  Baltimore won with their third stringer and Cincy avenged their loss to Cleveland.  

Those are the teams the Bills may need to beat to win the SB.

His career doesn't matter.  We are talking about 2022 Russ because we are talking about the game yesterday.  He's awful.  So KC allowed the worst QB in the league to come back from 27-0.  

Minnesota was 8-1 and in 1st place in their division.  What was the Broncos record?

Guess what we did?  We avenged our loss to NYJ just like the Bengals did with Cleveland.  But you aren't going to say that, you're going to say the Bills struggled.

I know you would have been pissed if the Bills allowed a last place team to come back from 27-0.  Trust me, we know you.

But you would never say "the Bills took care of business".  You would find a negative and run with it.

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

His career doesn't matter.  We are talking about 2022 Russ because we are talking about the game yesterday.  He's awful.  So KC allowed the worst QB in the league to come back from 27-0.  

Minnesota was 8-1 and in 1st place in their division.  What was the Broncos record?

Guess what we did?  We avenged our loss to NYJ just like the Bengals did with Cleveland.  But you aren't going to say that, you're going to say the Bills struggled.

I know you would have been pissed if the Bills allowed a last place team to come back from 27-0.  Trust me, we know you.

But you would never say "the Bills took care of business".  You would find a negative and run with it.

Fine the Bills have taken care of business the last 4 weeks.  Happy?????😝

10 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I didn't post that line to start a 5 page back & forth as to whether Denver is good or not.

Again, nobody is saying the factual points you are making are wrong.... but you have just done the exact thing you always do in this very post. You admitted KC just let Denver score their highest points of the season and then immediately followed with "but only the 6ht most gained." 

When you provide a factual stat and someone caveats that stat you call it excuses. When someone else gives a stat you caveat it and say it is just context. Your approach to every element of the discussion is about trying to make the facts fit your narrative. The Bills got it done against a 7-6 Jets team yesterday. But you criticise the offense. They scored 20 points against a defense that averages giving up 18.7 ppg. The Kansas City Chiefs also got it done against a 3-10 Broncos team. People criticise their defense. They gave up 28 points to an offense average 14.9 ppg and you say "yea but Russ is actually good."

You only like the pure numbers when they support your narrative. When they don't you prefer to add context to the numbers. This is what I keep saying to you. You have to treat both things the same. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Fine the Bills have taken care of business the last 4 weeks.  Happy?????😝

Since the the Chiefs "took care of business" because they won, then yes, the Bills have taken care of business.  

But that's not the case with you because you move criteria with every argument.  

What I find funny is you criticize Bills fans for making excuses when the Bills don't dominate.  But you make excuses for other teams when they don't dominate.  

You have made excuses for the Chiefs (Wilson is a good QB/Chiefs closed the game out) and the Bengals (avenged an earlier division loss).  Both teams struggled but not to you.  

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Again, nobody is saying the factual points you are making are wrong.... but you have just done the exact thing you always do in this very post. You admitted KC just let Denver score their highest points of the season and then immediately followed with "but only the 6ht most gained." 

When you provide a factual stat and someone caveats that stat you call it excuses. When someone else gives a stat you caveat it and say it is just context. Your approach to every element of the discussion is about trying to make the facts fit your narrative. The Bills got it done against a 7-6 Jets team yesterday. But you criticise the offense. They scored 20 points against a defense that averages giving up 18.7 ppg. The Kansas City Chiefs also got it done against a 3-10 Broncos team. People criticise their defense. They gave up 28 points to an offense average 14.9 ppg and you say "yea but Russ is actually good."

You only like the pure numbers when they support your narrative. When they don't you prefer to add context to the numbers. This is what I keep saying to you. You have to treat both things the same. 

Talk about hiding the facts.  We can argue about the conditions, but I expect the Bills to be able to put up points.  When they need one-two first downs to ice a game, I expect them to get it.

I will use the KC game as an example of how the season has changed.  They were at the 2 yard line and hadn't played great to that point, but I had no doubt they'd go 98 and score a TD (they did).  That was how good I felt about their offence in October. 

I expect way more then 20 points a game (especially at home).  I do not expect 5 straight punts to start the game.  Sorry my expectations are higher.

I really am not invested in Denver, but know their Defense has been very good all year and KC put up more yards and points then anyone else this year.

Denver did score 28 points, but on only 320 yards total offense.  Again facts.  

53 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again, KC certainly let them back in (remember Bills were up 27-10 vs. Minny midway through the third?).  

But what did KC do at the end of the game? They stopped Denver and then when needed ran out the clock and got first downs at the end. 

Talk about twisting the facts........  Wilson played well and is a very good qb.  I may even go as far as to say KC got lucky he was concussed.😉

KC benefited greatly from Wilson going down to injury and being unavailable after the 3rd Mahomes INT gave the Bronco's the ball at midfield late in the 4th quarter only down by 6.  Had Cousins gone out in the 4th quarter I'm very positive the Bills would be 11 - 2 right now.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Since the the Chiefs "took care of business" because they won, then yes, the Bills have taken care of business.  

But that's not the case with you because you move criteria with every argument.  

What I find funny is you criticize Bills fans for making excuses when the Bills don't dominate.  But you make excuses for other teams when they don't dominate.  

You have made excuses for the Chiefs (Wilson is a good QB/Chiefs closed the game out) and the Bengals (avenged an earlier division loss).  Both teams struggled but not to you.  

Cincy was not a one score game with the opposition having the ball with a chance to tie at the end of the game.

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

KC benefited greatly from Wilson going down to injury and being unavailable after the 3rd Mahomes INT gave the Bronco's the ball at midfield late in the 4th quarter only down by 6.  Had Cousins gone out in the 4th quarter I'm very positive the Bills would be 11 - 2 right now.

I noted that too.....  But thanks for the reminder.

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Cincy was not a one score game with the opposition having the ball with a chance to tie at the end of the game.

I noted that too.....  But thanks for the reminder.

What about KC? 

When Mahomes had the ball at the 25 with under 5 minutes in the game and a chance to close the game out....what happened? Did Mahomes close the game out?

• Like (+1) 1

Talk about hiding the facts.  We can argue about the conditions, but I expect the Bills to be able to put up points.  When they need one-two first downs to ice a game, I expect them to get it.

I will use the KC game as an example of how the season has changed.  They were at the 2 yard line and hadn't played great to that point, but I had no doubt they'd go 98 and score a TD (they did).  That was how good I felt about their offence in October. 

I expect way more then 20 points a game (especially at home).  I do not expect 5 straight punts to start the game.  Sorry my expectations are higher.

I really am not invested in Denver, but know their Defense has been very good all year and KC put up more yards and points then anyone else this year.

I had higher expectations from our offense to. But the fact that the game didn't play out the way I thought it might is the way football works.  If you're going to site facts:

*  The weather did impact both teams offensive production. The Bills pass drops, which screwed up at least 3 drives forcing punts, were clearly impacted by the weather.

*  Both teams play very good defense which limited both teams offensive production.

*  The Bills low offensive output was in part by design.  McD determined that the defense would limit the Jet's scoring and only short fields brought about by turnovers would allow the Jets to score a lot of points.  You know like what happened in the KC/Denver game where the Mahomes INT's resulted in the Broncos scoring 28 points with only 320 yards of total offense.

*  The Bills held a two score lead from late in the 3rd period to late in the 4th period. Rather then try to stretch the lead to 3 scores, which is what we fans want, the Bills played the odds and protected a two score lead. The end result was a win.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What about KC? 

When Mahomes had the ball at the 25 with under 5 minutes in the game and a chance to close the game out....what happened? Did Mahomes close the game out?

He ran out the last 4:21......  Absolutely right about the int too.

What did Buffalo do their last 3 possessions (3 & out + a safety).  

But again stop with the KC/Denver.....  How about my other examples Philly & SF?  Oh yea.......  Crickets.....

I certainly understand where these feelings of unease and doubt come from despite currently sitting with the #1 seed in the AFC and tied for best record in conference. But like I've said before, watching this team ever since the KC game you just get the feeling that something is missing despite grinding out 4 straight wins after 2 tough losses.

Yes this team is playing a more gritty style of football this year and winning close games, but it doesn't hide the fact this offensive line is among the worst in the league and with teams keying in on Diggs it's become increasingly clear we have no other real options that are going to scare defenses especially come January and time is running out with each passing game heading into the playoffs.

At the end of the day this just feels like a one and done type of team, almost similar to the Titans last year in that everyone knew they weren't a true contender or team to be feared despite finishing with the #1 seed.

Feels pretty good to me.  Just win.

This is the NFL.  Nobody goes wire to wire and does so with style points.  We all want to see 20 games that look like Bills v Pats in the wild card round.  That is simply not possible.  We are beating divisional opponents that have serious playoff chances and doing it when it matters.  

5 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I certainly understand where these feelings of unease and doubt come from despite currently sitting with the #1 seed in the AFC and tied for best record in conference. But like I've said before, watching this team ever since the KC game you just get the feeling that something is missing despite grinding out 4 straight wins after 2 tough losses.

Yes this team is playing a more gritty style of football this year and winning close games, but it doesn't hide the fact this offensive line is among the worst in the league and with teams keying in on Diggs it's become increasingly clear we have no other real options that are going to scare defenses especially come January and time is running out with each passing game heading into the playoffs.

At the end of the day this just feels like a one and done type of team, almost similar to the Titans last year in that everyone knew they weren't a true contender or team to be feared despite finishing with the #1 seed.

Sorry about the Dolphins

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

He ran out the last 4:21......  Absolutely right about the int too.

What did Buffalo do their last 3 possessions (3 & out + a safety).  

But again stop with the KC/Denver.....  How about my other examples Philly & SF?  Oh yea.......  Crickets.....

Do you think Philly and SF dominating yesterday strengthens your argument?

SF two weeks ago won 13-0 at home against a 4-8 Saints team.  If the Bills only scored 13 points, at home against the Saints....what would your reaction be?

The Eagles needed a last second TD to beat the Colts...a Colts team coached by Jeff Saturday who has never coached.  The Colts are obviously tanking and were close to beating the Eagles.  Eagles lost the Commanders and struggled against the Texans lol. 

If the Bills struggled against the Saints, lost to the Commanders and struggled against the Texans....what would your reaction be? 

Edited by Royale with Cheese

12 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

No this was the SB favourite at the start of the year & expect them there.

image.png.f4e00f378b8fb25ec34a5d7ae05b854d.png

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Do you think Philly and SF dominating yesterday strengthens your argument?

SF two weeks ago won 13-0 at home against a 4-8 Saints team.  If the Bills only scored 13 points, at home against the Saints....what would your reaction be?

The Eagles needed a last second TD to beat the Colts...a Colts team coached by Jeff Saturday who has never coached.  The Colts are obviously tanking and were close to beating the Eagles.  Eagles lost the Commanders and struggled against the Texans lol. 

If the Bills struggled against the Texans, lost to the Commanders and struggled against the Texans....what would your reaction be? 

Just stop it.  You're embarrassing yourself going through every game.  

Anyone who can't see the Bills are not playing to expected levels is wearing blinders.

Edited by Billsfan1972

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

BTW was responding to FilthyBeast comparing to the Titans last year.  So don't go after me.

I still have them winning it all.  I am a fan.

11 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No this was the SB favourite at the start of the year & expect them there.

image.png.f4e00f378b8fb25ec34a5d7ae05b854d.png

Just stop it.  You're embarrassing yourself going through every game.  

Anyone who can't see the Bills are not playing to expected levels is wearing blinders.

Why can't we use every game?  Shouldn't a team be based on a 17 game season and not a few cherry picked games?

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

How about the 2020 Steelers, that everyone knew was a fraud and lost round 1.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/2020.htm

This does not answer my question at all.  

I find it amazing I can't use a game that happened just two weeks ago but you go and pull up a team from 2 YEARS ago.

What did bringing up the 2020 Steelers have anything to do with this discussion?

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I find it amazing I can't use a game that happened just two weeks ago but you go and pull up a team from 2 YEARS ago.

What did bringing up the 2020 Steelers have anything to do with this discussion?

Talk about cherry picking.  I had issues about the NE game, but yes a solid win (and to me should have been by more).  

I was stating that the Bills have not played particularly well since the KC game.  I did not go as far as FilthyBeast (and still have them winning it all), but used Pittsburgh as an example of a team whose 11-0 start was smoke and mirrors and then we saw the real team come the end of the season.  If we look as you say at all 16 weeks they were a solid 12-4.

So you are cherry picking the NE game, but that is perfectly fine?

Edited by Billsfan1972

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

yet he'll get very angry at you for not answering a question either.  

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

@Billsfan1972...please, please, please read this multiple times.  take a break, and go back and read it a few times again.  this post can possible fix your problems on this board if you are able to have any self awareness.

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Well done.  Did he answer it?  No he cherry picked, but keep defending him.

you also don't answer questions that don't support your argument, and you also cherry picked.  royal is only responding to a comment you made.  you make a comment like that, just back it up.

8 minutes ago, teef said:

@Billsfan1972...please, please, please read this multiple times.  take a break, and go back and read it a few times again.  this post can possible fix your problems on this board if you are able to have any self awareness.

you also don't answer questions that don't support your argument, and you also cherry picked.  royal is only responding to a comment you made.  you make a comment like that, just back it up.

I answered the question. The Bills beat NE.  It was a good, not great victory.  Actually started a thread on it talking the OL & Drops.

What more can I do?  Royale with Cheese mentioned 17 games and I pointed out Pittsburgh going in the toilet after an 11-0 start.  Again facts.

I have detailed the Denver game.

Answer these Questions:

Is Denver one of the top defenses in the League?  KC put up more yards vs. them then anyone this Year

Denver scored their most points all year, but had other games where they moved the ball more.  True or False?

KC closed out the game with 4 first downs & preventing Denver from an opportunity to win.  True or False?

Denver is 3-10, 3 in OT and 8 losses < 7 points. Again True or False?

I guess my factual statements don't fit your narrative? 

Edited by Billsfan1972

Talk about cherry picking.  I had issues about the NE game, but yes a solid win (and to me should have been by more).  

I was stating that the Bills have not played particularly well since the KC game.  I did not go as far as FilthyBeast (and still have them winning it all), but used Pittsburgh as an example of a team whose 11-0 start was smoke and mirrors and then we saw the real team come the end of the season.  If we look as you say at all 16 weeks they were a solid 12-4.

So you are cherry picking the NE game, but that is perfectly fine?

LOL nope.

I'm not cherry picking, I'm giving you examples of how you can't just use one game to determine everything like you do.  

"The Eagles dominated the Giants yesterday!".  When the Eagles don't dominate "you can't use every game".  That's what you literally said.

When the Steelers were 11-0, they were 3rd in Super Bowl odds.  We are still #1.  They lost 4 out of their last 5, we've won 4 in a row.

So basically you're trying to make an argument you can't judge a team by an entire season now.

I answered the question. The Bills beat NE.  It was a good, not great victory.  Actually started a thread on it talking the OL & Drops.

What more can I do.  Royale with Cheese mentioned 17 games and IO pointed out Pittsburgh going in the toilet after an 11-0 start.  Again facts.

Answer these Questions:

Is Denver one of the top defenses in the League?  KC put up more yards vs. them then anyone this Year

Denver scored their most points all year, but had other games where they moved the ball more.  True or False?

KC closed out the game with 4 first downs & preventing Denver from an opportunity to win.  True or False?

whelp...i tried.  have at it folks.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL nope.

I'm not cherry picking, I'm giving you examples of how you can't just use one game to determine everything like you do.  

"The Eagles dominated the Giants yesterday!".  When the Eagles don't dominate "you can't use every game".  That's what you literally said.

When the Steelers were 11-0, they were 3rd in Super Bowl odds.  We are still #1.  They lost 4 out of their last 5, we've won 4 in a row.

So basically you're trying to make an argument you can't judge a team by an entire season now.

Yes I imagine they were behind KC & GB?  And rightly so.

I still think the Bills are the best team in the NFL.  

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

It is nothing to do with your expectations. It is to do with your wild inconsistency in judging underperming vs getting the job done.

The Bills offense scored more than the Jets give up on average and you criticise.

The Chiefs defense gives up double what the Broncos score on average and you say got the job done. 

I don't know if you are stuggling to understand my point.... it isn't about the arguments you make. It is about the fact that you don't treat all arguments even handidly. That is why you get push back NOT because of the "facts" you present. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

It is nothing to do with your expectations. It is to do with your wild inconsistency in judging underperming vs getting the job done.

The Bills offense scored more than the Jets give up on average and you criticise.

The Chiefs defense gives up double what the Broncos score on average and you say got the job done. 

I don't know if you are stuggling to understand my point.... it isn't about the arguments you make. It is about the fact that you don't treat all arguments even handidly. That is why you get push back NOT because of the "facts" you present. 

And you look in a bubble based on Average Points.  The Bills are not an average opponent.  They should be scoring well above the average the Jets allow (okay am not bringing up weather, which played a part), but the Bills offense was bad yesterday outside the 2 TD drives (aided mightily by that great offside call and a 20 yard PI).  The other two drives were 25 & 21 yards (yep McKenzie too dropped another 3rd down).   

Talk about inconsistent.    

9 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

What more can I do?  Royale with Cheese mentioned 17 games and I pointed out Pittsburgh going in the toilet after an 11-0 start.  Again facts.

Answer these Questions:

The Broncos defense is good. Nobody is arguing about the Broncos defense. The Broncos offense is horrific and put up almost double their seasonal average against the Chiefs. 

16 hours ago, buffblue said:

Kind of agree here, but it's not just Josh being a little gun shy. Can you honestly remember a game where our offense schemed guys open with ease? Even when we were rolling, it was all on Allen. Dorsey has been highly underwhelming

not going through the rest of this thread cause it is depressing but yes i remember a game.  Last game against the jets.  We schemed John Brown open deep and he couldnt make a play on a slightly underthrown ball that had DPI.  Diggs was open across the middle for maybe a TD but Josh missed him on the first drive.  Later we got Diggs unguarded in the slot and ran a curl.  It got tackled pretty easily, but later in the game we see the whip route from the same formation.  Also the Play action pass to Davis that set up first and goal on the second TD was scheming a person open.  Thats a lot of schemed open peeps (I think there may have been more).  Execution has been a problem.  we had what 5 dropped passes.  Dorsey hasn't been perfect but hes been fine.

And you look in a bubble based on Average Points.  The Bills are not an average opponent.  They should be scoring well above the average the Jets allow (okay am not bringing up weather, which played a part), but the Bills offense was bad yesterday outside the 2 TD drives (aided mightily by that great offside call and a 20 yard PI).  The other two drives were 25 & 21 yards (yep McKenzie too dropped another 3rd down).   

Talk about inconsistent.    

I don't disagree the Bills offense was bad. I repeat for the millionth time this is not about your opinions. It is about your logical inconsistency when deciding what is worthy of criticism.

Average points is the exact opposite of looking in a bubble. That is how averages work. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.