Coaching Success as Measured by Average Depth of Playoff Run

Chaos

From my personal perspective, I like watching the Bills play every week of the season. During the four year Super Bowl run, I got to watch the Bills play every week.  This was more important to me than winning the Super Bowl (would like to win one though some day).  I was curious which coaches (with their current teams) where the most successful at extending their teams seasons.   Please note, this is not an assessement of which coach is "best".  Vince Lombardi was the same quality coach in Washington as he was in Green Bay, just less successful.  It is just an objective measure of success.  The first thing that startled me was that the NFL currently has 12 rookie coaches. NFL owners/gms are not a patient group.   In terms of extending the season, a bye is the same as a playoff game for this measure.  I was surprised to realize that Matt Lafleur is the most successful by this measure without actually getting to the Super Bowl.  It also appears that the Steelers are by far the most patient ownership. 

image.thumb.png.f8722c30b45ecd3fe303a73037fa337f.png

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Interesting, but doesn’t really mean much to me, as Matt LeFleur has proven to be one of the worst coaches on that list.

NFC is a much easier path. Also, schedule luck plays into this a lot. KC played Buffalo in round 2 last year. Bengals played the Titans. All this excel sheet sees is Bengals 1-0, Bills 0-1.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Don't see a whole lot there.  Yes Owners/GMs are not a patient bunch.  

With Buffalo & McD, it is right now about winning and pundits will say 3-0 at home, 0-4 on the road (0-2 vs. KC).  Oh & 0-2 in OT😡.

And that's why we need the 1 seed

Get that AFCCG in Buffalo and there's a different outcome

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Interesting, but doesn’t really mean much to me, as Matt LeFleur has proven to be one of the worst coaches on that list.

NFC is a much easier path. Also, schedule luck plays into this a lot. KC played Buffalo in round 2 last year. Bengals played the Titans. All this excel sheet sees is Bengals 1-0, Bills 0-1.

Whats your proof? One bad season? Or something else? 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

Thanks Chaos.  I'm not sure how much we can glean from this in evaluating the coaches, especially those with less experience, but it's interesting nonetheless.  It would appear that a ratio of around 1.0 is the baseline for "success" and maintaining your job after a few years.  

I am not sure there is a ton to be gleaned. Its not an analysis of how good a coach it. It may be worth noting that 3 of the top 4 had Hall of Fame QBs on the roster for much of their success.  Sean McVays run is remarkable compared to all others, when you consider the QBs he has had to work with.   

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

With Buffalo & McD, it is right now about winning and pundits will say 3-0 at home, 0-4 on the road (0-2 vs. KC).  Oh & 0-2 in OT😡.

Pundits will? Or you will?

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Lefleur is not a good coach.

He's wasted Rodgers best years. He's a guy with a headset that brings nothing to the table.

Reminds me of Manning's coaches aside from Dungy. 

Lafleur has only been there since 2019.  He went 13-3, 13-3, 13-4 and made the championship game twice.  Did Aaron Rodgers best years really start in 2019  when he was 36? 

10 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Lefleur is not a good coach.

He's wasted Rodgers best years. He's a guy with a headset that brings nothing to the table.

Reminds me of Manning's coaches aside from Dungy. 

To be fair, he hasn’t wasted all of them himself. Mike McCarthy had a pretty big hand in that as well. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I just want to see our Defense in the playoffs have more stamina. We tend to get gassed in the 2nd half of playoff games.  That's the ratio I care about. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.