Should the NFL Expand the playoffs to 8 teams and eliminate byes?

Big Turk

15 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I have been thinking about this recently.  

There is no other major league sport that gives the enormous advantage that the NFL does to it's #1 team in the conference. All of those teams have to play in the first round of the playoffs. NBA now even have play-in games to get into the playoffs...although I am not sure why simply having a better record doesn't qualify you. What's the point of all those games if you can be eliminated by a team with a worse record before the actual playoffs?? That doesn't make much sense, unless it's a money grab.

NHL has 8 teams, MLB has 6 teams. Nobody has any byes.  All of those sports play far more games than the NFL. Granted, the physical toll is different for NFL players, but still.

It used to be the top 2 teams that got a bye when there were 6 teams. Why when there could have been 3 normal playoff games, I am not sure of.  Now that they expanded to 7, obvious one team has to get a bye.  Expanding to 8 should eliminate the bye and the unfair advantage that it gives them.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Basketball, Hockey and Baseball are all completely different sports. Football is very unique and does the playoff format the right way for the sport

15 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I have been thinking about this recently.  

There is no other major league sport that gives the enormous advantage that the NFL does to it's #1 team in the conference. All of those teams have to play in the first round of the playoffs. NBA now even have play-in games to get into the playoffs...although I am not sure why simply having a better record doesn't qualify you. What's the point of all those games if you can be eliminated by a team with a worse record before the actual playoffs?? That doesn't make much sense, unless it's a money grab.

NHL has 8 teams, MLB has 6 teams. Nobody has any byes.  All of those sports play far more games than the NFL. Granted, the physical toll is different for NFL players, but still.

It used to be the top 2 teams that got a bye when there were 6 teams. Why when there could have been 3 normal playoff games, I am not sure of.  Now that they expanded to 7, obvious one team has to get a bye.  Expanding to 8 should eliminate the bye and the unfair advantage that it gives them.

In the two years so far, none of the 4 #1 seeds have won the super bowl, and only 1 team appeared in it. I wish they went back to 6, but itll be cool to see a #7 seed beat a #2 seed someday, as long as it isnt us.

2 hours ago, CSBill said:

How about back to 16 games, but 12 teams make the play-offs?

Almost every team gets the extra game, four teams deservedly get relegated, the week 17 (bye week) means something, and the four Division winners get a bye--upping the value of it and competitive push for it.

Never going back to 16 games. Just like they never went back to 14.

15 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I agree but just go back to 16 if you want to keep it even. The extra game only benefits the owners pockets.

I was fine with the 16-game season as well but for the reason you just mentioned they will be going to an 18-game season at some point.  

The #2 seed gets to play a #7 seed though. I think over time we will find that the #7 seed more often not is a pretty bad team and not a good match for a #2 seed. I don't agree with Nick Wright on much of anything but when he used the term "better than a bye" last year in reference to the #2 seeded Chiefs playing the #7 Steelers, I mostly agreed. 

We have seen teams be a little rusty coming out of first round bye's. It's not the end of the world to play a home game in the wild card round against the #7 seed. The biggest advantage of the 1 seed over the 2 seed is the home field advantage in the conference championship game. 

• Agree 1

I’m not sure how much extra the Owners are getting from a 17th game. The television contract is spread across the entirety of the season. It’s not like games aren’t on TV when teams have a bye. In fact some of the teams are just now getting their bye week. I doubt it reduces viewership. 

No.

The NFL playoff format is extremely unique and successful as is. 7 is the perfect number of teams and the bye rewards a truly great season while also forcing teams to have to play to the end.

The only change I really want is the East and North divisions merged and the West and South divisions merged in each conference so we just have two massive divisions East/West. It would forever eliminate a bad division winner which happens too frequently, would allow for good teams who don't win the division to host playoff games, and allow a better schedule balance.

The one thing that blows this season is seeing a team from the NFCS (most likely TB) make the playoffs and host a playoff game. Nothing anyone can do as that's just the way it is this year. But there will be teams with much better records sitting at home for the playoffs who deserve it more than TB.

8 minutes ago, corta765 said:

No.

The NFL playoff format is extremely unique and successful as is. 7 is the perfect number of teams and the bye rewards a truly great season while also forcing teams to have to play to the end.

The only change I really want is the East and North divisions merged and the West and South divisions merged in each conference so we just have two massive divisions East/West. It would forever eliminate a bad division winner which happens too frequently, would allow for good teams who don't win the division to host playoff games, and allow a better schedule balance.

so you would play 14 division games? That would get boring after a while. Playing the same teams every year. Maybe if they rotated who your merged division was each year, that could be fun.

7 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

so you would play 14 division games? That would get boring after a while. Playing the same teams every year. Maybe if they rotated who your merged division was each year, that could be fun.

No my idea would be you play your own division once (7 games East), one rotating game against your old division (NE/NYJ/MIA), four of the eight in the AFC West (play the other half the following year), and then the NFC as is with a division and the extra game. 

The numbers make it real tough to divvy up.

The divisions are too diluted atm.  I think go back to three divisions (Come back Central!).  That should solve having a crappy division champ.

But as for the playoffs, it's tough needing factors of two, giving some teams a bye, but not more then one.  Still wracking my head on a viable solution there.

18 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

No, they should in fact reduce the number of teams to what it was two years ago, and  go by a teams win loss record, so crappy teams and or divisions get excluded all together.  This rewarding crap organizations with post season slots really does needs to stop. If a team does not have a winning record they do not for any reason get a post season slot, is that to much to ask? 

This simply isn’t gonna happen and will NEVER be considered. The entire premise of the NFL is based in profit$. It is hands down the greatest sports attraction in the U.S. with marquee games holding the majority of most watched television programs every year. Ad revenue is at the very heart of it and all teams are sharing the obscene royalties it generates. Reduce the playoff teams?

WashYerDamMouthOutWithSoap!🤦‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

This simply isn’t gonna happen and will NEVER be considered. The entire premise of the NFL is based in profit$. It is hands down the greatest sports attraction in the U.S. with marquee games holding the majority of most watched television programs every year. Ad revenue is at the very heart of it and all teams are sharing the obscene royalties it generates. Reduce the playoff teams?

WashYerDamMouthOutWithSoap!🤦‍♂️

We all know money rules the roost, 

but it doesn’t make what I said the wrong thing to do, the on going plan to have losing teams make the post season over teams with better records is just making football less than it can be. Is the NFL the every one gets a star league, or is it a league to be based on merit?  

• Eyeroll 2

6 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

This is why there will always be incentive .. makes every regular season game SOOO important, which drives excitement, which drives ratings not only on games days, but to all the NFL related shows. Which all equals more money. 

Man, that 16 of 21 stuff ended like 30 years ago and still the myth persists. NHL and NFL playoffs percentage been pretty damn close for a while now, NBA same as the NHL, actually a little easier now with the play in series. 

I am aware. Anything over 50 percent is awful to me. Just my opinion, of course.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.