In the Era of Josh Allen, how about a little Jim Kelly love

wjag

The Kelly years were great and he and that core team helped lift the Bills and Buffalo into the national spot light.

He is in the shadow of Allen now, but has to be happy that the team has finally found "the guy" who can represent Buffalo and work to finish the mission.

It was a good listen and I did not know those Canton ceremony changes were linked to Jim's induction. I have no problems believing the bar story.

• Like (+1) 4

23 hours ago, WideNine said:

The Kelly years were great and he and that core team helped lift the Bills and Buffalo into the national spot light.

He is in the shadow of Allen now, but has to be happy that the team has finally found "the guy" who can represent Buffalo and work to finish the mission.

It was a good listen and I did not know those Canton ceremony changes were linked to Jim's induction. I have no problems believing the bar story.

Hardly in a shadow.  Let's get to at least 1 SB, let alone 4 straight

Edited by Dablitzkrieg
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Hardly in a shadow.  Let's fet to at least 1 SB, let alone 4 straight

True.

Was just thinking Allen with the national spot light and it is a different era with social media.

There still space left in those shoes to fill.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks OP, great listen. To any naysayers upthread, first off, don’t click if you don’t want to hear about him. With all due respect, Kelly can’t ever get enough attention from us as far as I’m concerned. The man bled Bills every day once he got here and unlike many others, stayed local once his time was done. Also, he’s probably the happiest of any of us that Allen is the new man and is setting new franchise records on the way to likely Super Bowl territory. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Jim has received decades of love from Bills fans. I’m sure he is thrilled they have finally found a worthy successor. Jim is probably Josh’s #1 fan. The future will determine which of the two were better. Josh is setting all sorts of records in this passing era of the game, but Super Bowls are the measuring stick. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Thanks OP, great listen. To any naysayers upthread, first off, don’t click if you don’t want to hear about him. With all due respect, Kelly can’t ever get enough attention from us as far as I’m concerned. The man bled Bills every day once he got here and unlike many others, stayed local once his time was done. Also, he’s probably the happiest of any of us that Allen is the new man and is setting new franchise records on the way to likely Super Bowl territory. 

Jim Kelly gets lots of love here and amongst Bills fans in general, he is a football legend, hell, the man broke a guys leg for intercepting a pass, think about it, what other teams QB has the much grit?

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Jim Kelly gets lots of love here and amongst Bills fans in general, he is a football legend, hell, the man broke a guys leg for intercepting a pass, think about it, what other teams QB has the much grit?

Go Bills!!!

JoPa would say that's why he recruited him to play LB.

Kelly was clearly awesome and responsible for alot of that teams success.  But that was a more balanced/well rounded team...better oline, RB, superstars on defense (similar to this yr with Von).  I'd argue Josh has a bit less talent surrounding him on offense.

Josh and Jim both fit this city/fan base perfectly, playing the game like a "football player" (not just a QB), as you said.  

Eventually Beane will put a better oline in front of Josh, but we have enough pieces to win it all this year....just need to stay healthy.

• Like (+1) 1

On the field, I think Josh is already a much better player. Kelly was never the top 2 guy in a league with Marino, Elway, Montana and then Young, Esiason, Moon, Aikman, etc. Kelly was maybe top 5 like perhaps a Joe Burrow is today. For the overall legacy, it will take time to build up that kind of resume but hopefully Josh is on his way to a HOF career of his own. Jim had a top 2-3 best defensive end of all time in Bruce Smith and a league MVP in Thurman Thomas. They also didn't have to deal with free agency back then. It was a well built team at every position and opponents didn't have much of an answer defensively for the K-gun offense at first. Watch the AFC championship game against the Raiders to see that offense at their peak and really clicking. It's an absolute shame they couldn't pull off that win in Super Bowl 25 because it was right there for the taking.

Off the field, it's no comparison. Kelly was a known jerk and a real piece of work. Apparently he's been humbled since but I have no time for a adulterating and arrogant pr*ck who pretended to be a Christian. I've heard too many stories of how he treated women back in the day and how his poor wife had to take it on the chin and yet stuck by him.

Jim's been an ambassador for Buffalo for many years so I have to give him credit for that, but I will be glad to see him turn that over to Josh. However the day his career is over, Josh will be on the first flight out of here and back to California so we will just have to enjoy the show while we can.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

On the field, I think Josh is already a much better player. Kelly was never the top 2 guy in a league with Marino, Elway, Montana and then Young, Esiason, Moon, Aikman, etc. Kelly was maybe top 5 like perhaps a Joe Burrow is today. For the overall legacy, it will take time to build up that kind of resume but hopefully Josh is on his way to a HOF career of his own. Jim had a top 2-3 best defensive end of all time in Bruce Smith and a league MVP in Thurman Thomas. They also didn't have to deal with free agency back then. It was a well built team at every position and opponents didn't have much of an answer defensively for the K-gun offense at first. Watch the AFC championship game against the Raiders to see that offense at their peak and really clicking. It's an absolute shame they couldn't pull off that win in Super Bowl 25 because it was right there for the taking.

Off the field, it's no comparison. Kelly was a known jerk and a real piece of work. Apparently he's been humbled since but I have no time for a adulterating and arrogant pr*ck who pretended to be a Christian. I've heard too many stories of how he treated women back in the day and how his poor wife had to take it on the chin and yet stuck by him.

Jim's been an ambassador for Buffalo for many years so I have to give him credit for that, but I will be glad to see him turn that over to Josh. However the day his career is over, Josh will be on the first flight out of here and back to California so we will just have to enjoy the show while we can.

I don’t like a lot of the old stories either. I’m not local so I’m sure what I’ve heard is just the tip of the iceberg. Having said that, I’m not in the business of judging any more than I have to. If his wife can forgive him, I think I can do the same. 

As for Josh on the first flight out, we will have to wait and see. Kelly was on the last flight IN, if you recall. Things change over the years. That is one thing we know for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t like a lot of the old stories either. I’m not local so I’m sure what I’ve heard is just the tip of the iceberg. Having said that, I’m not in the business of judging any more than I have to. If his wife can forgive him, I think I can do the same. 

As for Josh on the first flight out, we will have to wait and see. Kelly was on the last flight IN, if you recall. Things change over the years. That is one thing we know for sure. 

I don’t know. Kelly stayed in Bflo, but his wife was from Bflo and Kelly grew up 3 hrs south of Bflo. 

Josh grew up in CA, and his GF is from CA. I think he’s goin back there. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was definitely overly harsh there re-reading it but I guess I'm just trying to make the point that we finally have a good guy that we can all cheer for. I couldn't imagine being the Cleveland Browns fans right now for instance. Happy to have Josh

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, pennstate10 said:

I don’t know. Kelly stayed in Bflo, but his wife was from Bflo and Kelly grew up 3 hrs south of Bflo. 

Josh grew up in CA, and his GF is from CA. I think he’s goin back there. 

I think you missed my point entirely. We have a long way to go. Jimbo never wanted to go to Buffalo in the first place and went out of his way to avoid the city. Like many players, he got there and learned to appreciate the area. 

Josh was thrilled to be drafted by the Bills and embraced the city immediately. We don’t know where he will be or what he might feel in 10-15 years, but it would not shock me if he had homes wherever the hell he wants, because he can certainly afford it. To have one in WNY would not be at all surprising. 

17 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I was definitely overly harsh there re-reading it but I guess I'm just trying to make the point that we finally have a good guy that we can all cheer for. I couldn't imagine being the Cleveland Browns fans right now for instance. Happy to have Josh

I don’t know that I could be a Browns fan now. I lived thru the drought, but I don’t think I could take that owner and that QB. Hard to comprehend, but I might have to vote with my feet and my wallet there. 

I understand, Kelly came in as a guy you might want to party with, while Josh is a guy you’d want your daughter to marry. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Hardly in a shadow.  Let's fet to at least 1 SB, let alone 4 straight

Talent wise he is. Allen has done so many unique things in NFL history that every time he does a new one we just shrug our shoulders. Kelly was never that.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.