In the Era of Josh Allen, how about a little Jim Kelly love

wjag

I simply don't think it's fair to compare QBs from Kelly's era to QBs in the modern era.  If Marino, Elway, Kelly, Favre, Young and Montana didn't take head hunting hits that they did, they could have played much longer..  How many times did Kelly get knocked out of a game?  If Allen was exposed to those type of hits, he would be on IR some of the last few seasons shortening his career and numbers.  Imagine if KC's Jones was allowed to hit Allen the way Bruce hit QBs...  Or imagine if Mahomes was crushed by MIcah Parsons the way Reggie White used to hit Simms.  Same thing for the receivers who used to get head hunted by LBs and safeties. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, wjag said:

Yep..  he missed the FG wide-right...  😉

Norwood didn’t make a kick on grass from that distance ALL year … it wasn’t a gimme for him 

in fact odds were against him … that’s the truth

He wasn’t money from that distance 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Norwood didn’t make a kick on grass from that distance ALL year … it wasn’t a gimme for him 

I know. I remember saying it’s not close enough. 

3 hours ago, Augie said:

I think you missed my point entirely. We have a long way to go. Jimbo never wanted to go to Buffalo in the first place and went out of his way to avoid the city. Like many players, he got there and learned to appreciate the area. 

Josh was thrilled to be drafted by the Bills and embraced the city immediately. We don’t know where he will be or what he might feel in 10-15 years, but it would not shock me if he had homes wherever the hell he wants, because he can certainly afford it. To have one in WNY would not be at all surprising. 

Think you missed my point. Married men tend to live near where their wives grew up. 

3 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

On the field, I think Josh is already a much better player. Kelly was never the top 2 guy in a league with Marino, Elway, Montana and then Young, Esiason, Moon, Aikman, etc. Kelly was maybe top 5 like perhaps a Joe Burrow is today. For the overall legacy, it will take time to build up that kind of resume but hopefully Josh is on his way to a HOF career of his own. Jim had a top 2-3 best defensive end of all time in Bruce Smith and a league MVP in Thurman Thomas. They also didn't have to deal with free agency back then. It was a well built team at every position and opponents didn't have much of an answer defensively for the K-gun offense at first. Watch the AFC championship game against the Raiders to see that offense at their peak and really clicking. It's an absolute shame they couldn't pull off that win in Super Bowl 25 because it was right there for the taking.

Off the field, it's no comparison. Kelly was a known jerk and a real piece of work. Apparently he's been humbled since but I have no time for a adulterating and arrogant pr*ck who pretended to be a Christian. I've heard too many stories of how he treated women back in the day and how his poor wife had to take it on the chin and yet stuck by him.

Jim's been an ambassador for Buffalo for many years so I have to give him credit for that, but I will be glad to see him turn that over to Josh. However the day his career is over, Josh will be on the first flight out of here and back to California so we will just have to enjoy the show while we can.

I’dput him above everyone but Montana and Marino, and perhaps Aikman Imo. 

2 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Think you missed my point. Married men tend to live near where their wives grew up. 

This is interesting. I promise I’m not arguing with you, but I honestly can’t think of a single couple we know where this is true. Life is mobile these days.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

But he’d been hitting from that distance and farther during the pregame warmups…IIRC

1 minute ago, Augie said:

This is interesting. I promise I’m not arguing with you, but I honestly can’t think of a single couple we know where this is true. Life is mobile these days.

Kelly likely stayed in Buffalo because it beats goi g back to East Brady, Pa, and apparently he was not into coaching or announcing. 

17 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Kelly likely stayed in Buffalo because it beats goi g back to East Brady, Pa, and apparently he was not into coaching or announcing. 

He could go back to Miami, or go to LA or wherever he wanted to go. There are far more options out there for those who can afford them. 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

During the Jim Kelly era there was no love or respect for Josh Allen. Nada, nothing, zip, like he didn't even exist. 

Pretty much every current player on the roster can be included with that statement.  

33 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

He was going to move to Virginia after he retired, but ended up deciding to stay in Buffalo. 

6 hours ago, WideNine said:

It was a good listen and I did not know those Canton ceremony changes were linked to Jim's induction. I have no problems believing the bar story.

I knew the location was changed because of him, but not the green room being created.  I was there for the last ceremony on the steps when Marv Levy was inducted, and then the following year in the stadium when Jim made it in.  People I was with for Marv's induction, were already planning for Jim's induction the next year, even though it was far from official, only that he would be eligible for induction, they were that sure he would make it. 

4 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

On the field, I think Josh is already a much better player. Kelly was never the top 2 guy in a league with Marino, Elway, Montana and then Young, Esiason, Moon, Aikman, etc. Kelly was maybe top 5 like perhaps a Joe Burrow is today. For the overall legacy, it will take time to build up that kind of resume but hopefully Josh is on his way to a HOF career of his own. Jim had a top 2-3 best defensive end of all time in Bruce Smith and a league MVP in Thurman Thomas. They also didn't have to deal with free agency back then. It was a well built team at every position and opponents didn't have much of an answer defensively for the K-gun offense at first. Watch the AFC championship game against the Raiders to see that offense at their peak and really clicking. It's an absolute shame they couldn't pull off that win in Super Bowl 25 because it was right there for the taking.

Off the field, it's no comparison. Kelly was a known jerk and a real piece of work. Apparently he's been humbled since but I have no time for a adulterating and arrogant pr*ck who pretended to be a Christian. I've heard too many stories of how he treated women back in the day and how his poor wife had to take it on the chin and yet stuck by him.

Jim's been an ambassador for Buffalo for many years so I have to give him credit for that, but I will be glad to see him turn that over to Josh. However the day his career is over, Josh will be on the first flight out of here and back to California so we will just have to enjoy the show while we can.

Is it really necessary to drag Jim Kelly’s name through the mud on an internet message board about gossip you heard from someone who heard from someone thirty years ago? 

5 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

💯 on just about everything you said. I’d say that’s pretty much the way of athletes and famous ppl now. They move to Florida or California. They have all the money in the world so why limit yourself. If Allen woke up tomorrow with Kelly’s money, he’d jump out a window. But yes, Allen is 1,000x a better person than Kelly was. 

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DC Greg said:

Is it really necessary to drag Jim Kelly’s name through the mud on an internet message board about gossip you heard from someone who heard from someone thirty years ago? 

No from 18 yr old girls he invited to his parties when he was married and in his late 30's and 40's. He's a dirtbag, it's not a rumor. His wife wrote a book about it I believe 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.