Jump to content

OLine/Unforced Error All 22 Review - Lions 2022


Bocephuz
 Share

Recommended Posts

In the past i used to do lengthy in depth posts with gifs.. don't have time for that nowadays

 

I watched every passing snap to evaluate pass blocking performance as well as Josh Allen unforced errors committed (PASS BLOCKING ONLY EVALUATED.. did not evaluate running plays). 

 

Unforced error =  Allen has time to throw, wr is open and he misses throw.. or.. Allen makes poor unforced decision 

 

OLINEMAN BEATEN =  O lineman clearly loses his one on one matchup... or.. clearly misreads stunt/combo block

 

____

 

OLINEMAN BEATEN STATS

DAWKINS - 1

QUESSENBERRY - 1

SAFFOLD - 2

BATES - 1

GVR - 2

BROWN - 3  

 

OL SUMMARY : In general the OL was slightly better than last week but still below average

-DAWKINS -  Looked pretty solid for first few series and then was replaced by Quessenberry. Didn't really see an obvious injury. 

- QUESSENBERRY - Came in for Dawk midway thru the game and actually looked solid at LT.  Only gave up one pressure.. looks much more comfortable at LT rather than RT.

- SAFFOLD -  Saffold was not as bad as last week.. but still had two ugly pressures given up. He seems slow off the snap.. both pressures were him getting beaten to the spot rather than getting physically bowled over. 

- BATES - Mr. Versatility stepped up for the injured Mitch Morse at Center and was his usual solid self only giving up one pressure all day and cleanly snapping the ball to #17.

- VAN ROTEN - Gave up two pressures and the communication between he and Brown was poor on several stunts/passoffs.  

- BROWN -  An outright liability. He led the way again with 3 pressures given up. Hutchinson clearly outclassed Spencer several time. Brown is completely vulnerable to the outside speed rush and eventually Dorsey had to keep #26 in a couple times to help the struggling RT with chip blocks. 

 

 

 

QB UNFORCED ERRORS:  Josh had 2 unforced errors by my count.  Based on my history of doing this kind of analysis when a qb has 5 or more unforced errors the chances of his team winning decrease materially. 

 

- Josh INT -  Not really an error on Josh' part.. #44 Rodriguez made a heady play/ read the play fake and got in the throwing lane and tipped the ball 

- Bad Throw - Josh had one really bad unforced throw on an out to Diggs 

 

Josh was more decisive today than against Browns. For the most part he only escaped the pocket when forced. Dorsey also went to the quick game a lot in the 2nd half to protect Josh and get the ball out of his hands. Several plays where Josh hits his drop and the ball is out immediately on a hitch or a quick slant. This was very effective and got him the offense in a big rhythm. I would hope Dorsey calls more quick game going forward as the O Line is not really capable of holding up for plays calling for multiple late developing deep routes. However.. have to give O Line props as they held up in pass pro for the most important play of the game at end of q4 when Josh had time and room to climb the pocket and throw a 34 yd laser to Diggs that pretty much won the game for the Bills. 

 

Unfortunately I don't see anyone on the roster who can replace Spencer Brown effectively so Dorsey is going to have to work around him and keep backs/TE in to help him with chips .. or perhaps go with the quick game more to compensate. 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Bocephuz said:

- BATES - Mr. Versatility stepped up for the injured Mitch Morse at Center and was his usual solid self only giving up one pressure all day and cleanly snapping the ball to #17.

 

Good stuff, @Bocephuz.  I know you said you didn't do running plays, but worth mentioning the fumbled snap TD.  Of course that's gonna get scored to Josh, but might be worth noting that I thought the snap was low for shotgun.  Seems as though there was at least one other snap where I thought "goodness, it's a good thing our QB is 6'5".

 

No knock on Bates for as little practice as they had and Josh being limited in what they had, he did well.

 

I do think Brown looks better next to Bates than he did next to Van Roten.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bocephuz said:

In the past i used to do lengthy in depth posts with gifs.. don't have time for that nowadays

 

I watched every passing snap to evaluate pass blocking performance as well as Josh Allen unforced errors committed (PASS BLOCKING ONLY EVALUATED.. did not evaluate running plays). 

 

Unforced error =  Allen has time to throw, wr is open and he misses throw.. or.. Allen makes poor unforced decision 

 

OLINEMAN BEATEN =  O lineman clearly loses his one on one matchup... or.. clearly misreads stunt/combo block

 

____

 

OLINEMAN BEATEN STATS

DAWKINS - 1

QUESSENBERRY - 1

SAFFOLD - 2

BATES - 1

GVR - 2

BROWN - 3  

 

OL SUMMARY : In general the OL was slightly better than last week but still below average

-DAWKINS -  Looked pretty solid for first few series and then was replaced by Quessenberry. Didn't really see an obvious injury. 

- QUESSENBERRY - Came in for Dawk midway thru the game and actually looked solid at LT.  Only gave up one pressure.. looks much more comfortable at LT rather than RT.

- SAFFOLD -  Saffold was not as bad as last week.. but still had two ugly pressures given up. He seems slow off the snap.. both pressures were him getting beaten to the spot rather than getting physically bowled over. 

- BATES - Mr. Versatility stepped up for the injured Mitch Morse at Center and was his usual solid self only giving up one pressure all day and cleanly snapping the ball to #17.

- VAN ROTEN - Gave up two pressures and the communication between he and Brown was poor on several stunts/passoffs.  

- BROWN -  An outright liability. He led the way again with 3 pressures given up. Hutchinson clearly outclassed Spencer several time. Brown is completely vulnerable to the outside speed rush and eventually Dorsey had to keep #26 in a couple times to help the struggling RT with chip blocks. 

 

 

 

QB UNFORCED ERRORS:  Josh had 2 unforced errors by my count.  Based on my history of doing this kind of analysis when a qb has 5 or more unforced errors the chances of his team winning decrease materially. 

 

- Josh INT -  Not really an error on Josh' part.. #44 Rodriguez made a heady play/ read the play fake and got in the throwing lane and tipped the ball 

- Bad Throw - Josh had one really bad unforced throw on an out to Diggs 

 

Josh was more decisive today than against Browns. For the most part he only escaped the pocket when forced. Dorsey also went to the quick game a lot in the 2nd half to protect Josh and get the ball out of his hands. Several plays where Josh hits his drop and the ball is out immediately on a hitch or a quick slant. This was very effective and got him the offense in a big rhythm. I would hope Dorsey calls more quick game going forward as the O Line is not really capable of holding up for plays calling for multiple late developing deep routes. However.. have to give O Line props as they held up in pass pro for the most important play of the game at end of q4 when Josh had time and room to climb the pocket and throw a 34 yd laser to Diggs that pretty much won the game for the Bills. 

 

Unfortunately I don't see anyone on the roster who can replace Spencer Brown effectively so Dorsey is going to have to work around him and keep backs/TE in to help him with chips .. or perhaps go with the quick game more to compensate. 

 

 


Nice post. Aidan Hutchinson is a beast and causes matchup problems for most. That said, Spencer needs to do better and continue to improve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Browns best block of the day was when he whiffed on the rushing end(don’t recall who) but just got enough of the guy who hurt his elbow in the process and lied on the ground right next to Josh’s legs almost looking dead which allowed Josh to complete a long pass to McKenzie. Blocking 101. 

  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

That’d be like saying Isaiah McKenzie isn’t athletic because he isn’t a good route runner.

 

imo the first thing that makes a great athlete is great feet, and that precludes him from ever being a great athlete.

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Browns best block of the day was when he whiffed on the rushing end(don’t recall who) but just got enough of the guy who hurt his elbow in the process and lied on the ground right next to Josh’s legs almost looking dead which allowed Josh to complete a long pass to McKenzie. Blocking 101. 

Brown whiffed so hard the DE over exerted himself trying to beat a phantom block.  Spencer weaponized the pass rusher's own aggressiveness and momentum and struck a killer blow without even touching him.  Thats some Bruce Lee type *****.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Haha (+1) 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Van Rotten, Saffold and Brown need to be replaced next year. If you can't protect your elite QB you're no good to me. Quessenberry should only be 2nd line depth. Build around Dawkins, Morse & Bates.

 

11 hours ago, Process said:

Nice work...confirms what we've been seeing all year long...Brown and Saffold are huge liabilities. 

 

8 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Brown whiffed so hard the DE over exerted himself trying to beat a phantom block.  Spencer weaponized the pass rusher's own aggressiveness and momentum and struck a killer blow without even touching him.  Thats some Bruce Lee type *****.

 

Was it even a year ago that TBD was measuring Brown for that gold jacket??   Ah....time does fly.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know the mechanics or viability, but given Brown's size and that he's been much better in the run game, I wonder if he's more suited for a Guard position? Maybe moving him inside will help with his slow step and allow him to use his size to maul the guys in front of him rather than needing to peddle to the right to keep his man from getting around him. Just a thought...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I don't know the mechanics or viability, but given Brown's size and that he's been much better in the run game, I wonder if he's more suited for a Guard position? Maybe moving him inside will help with his slow step and allow him to use his size to maul the guys in front of him rather than needing to peddle to the right to keep his man from getting around him. Just a thought...

 

In pass pro, that might help, but for a guard in the run game I worry about someone that tall being beaten for leverage. Low man wins. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Beck Water said:

 

Good stuff, @Bocephuz.  I know you said you didn't do running plays, but worth mentioning the fumbled snap TD.  Of course that's gonna get scored to Josh, but might be worth noting that I thought the snap was low for shotgun.  Seems as though there was at least one other snap where I thought "goodness, it's a good thing our QB is 6'5".

 

No knock on Bates for as little practice as they had and Josh being limited in what they had, he did well.

 

I do think Brown looks better next to Bates than he did next to Van Roten.

 

Good observation... that was one instance where backup center had snap issue. That being said Morse has had a few bad snaps himself this year.. will be good to get Mitch back though and kick Bates over and get GVR on the bench. 

13 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Van Rotten, Saffold and Brown need to be replaced next year. If you can't protect your elite QB you're no good to me. Quessenberry should only be 2nd line depth. Build around Dawkins, Morse & Bates.

Agree need upgrades for GVR, Saff and Brown next year. Dawkins quite frankly has had some really rough patches this year... wouldn't mind seeing them taking a LT in rd 1 or 2 next year to groom as his replacement. Quess is decent backup .. 

13 hours ago, Rat-boy said:


Nice post. Aidan Hutchinson is a beast and causes matchup problems for most. That said, Spencer needs to do better and continue to improve.

Brown has had some tough matchups last few weeks this is true. Even so... he may be playing himself out of a job if he doesn't at least be more competitive in his one on one battles rest of year

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, hemma said:

So ol were beaten on 10 of 42 pass attempts.

Your gut feeling on the 29 runs?

Gut feeling... didn't really watch the run plays much .. but its possible that Saffold and Brown are good enough in the run block game to justify their weak pass pro.. just speculation.. I don't really feel comfortable breaking down run game stuff.. too complex for me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Bocephuz said:

 

Good observation... that was one instance where backup center had snap issue. That being said Morse has had a few bad snaps himself this year.. will be good to get Mitch back though and kick Bates over and get GVR on the bench. 

Agree need upgrades for GVR, Saff and Brown next year. Dawkins quite frankly has had some really rough patches this year... wouldn't mind seeing them taking a LT in rd 1 or 2 next year to groom as his replacement. Quess is decent backup .. 

Brown has had some tough matchups last few weeks this is true. Even so... he may be playing himself out of a job if he doesn't at least be more competitive in his one on one battles rest of year

 

Agree with this.  They should rebuild their o-line this offseason (should have done it last offseason).  They need new two guards and at least one young developmental tackle.  And more playmakers at WR.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...