OLine/Unforced Error All 22 Review - Lions 2022

Bocephuz

12 hours ago, Simon said:

I don't agree with this at all.

His feet have been a problem since the minute he stepped onto an NFL field.

If I recall .. when he was drafted his measurables were off the charts for OTs. Clearly something has happened to him where he can't move like he used to. 

59 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I don't know the mechanics or viability, but given Brown's size and that he's been much better in the run game, I wonder if he's more suited for a Guard position? Maybe moving him inside will help with his slow step and allow him to use his size to maul the guys in front of him rather than needing to peddle to the right to keep his man from getting around him. Just a thought...

not a bad idea. shades of Cody Ford all over again

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Agree with this.  They should rebuild their o-line this offseason (should have done it last offseason).  They need new two guards and at least one young developmental tackle.  And more playmakers at WR.

I'm hoping they use the draft more than FA to do this as this constant patching up holes with mid level vets is not good long term solution. Unfortunately the one area where McBeane has whiffed most in the draft is OL.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Agree with this.  They should rebuild their o-line this offseason (should have done it last offseason).  They need new two guards and at least one young developmental tackle.  And more playmakers at WR.

I'm concerned that this investment will hinder the HC from adding another depth DT, 4th DE, or backup SAM who can play ST to say nothing over another safety.  

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Just to be clear you want to replace Bates at guard?  Did you post during the off-season that Beane should have let him walk to the Bears? I think most of us on here agreed with Beane to match the Bears offer.  

Morse had a good year last season and Dawkins was playing at an All-Pro level late in the season.  They replaced Feliciano and Ford with Saffold.  Most of us were worried about Brown at RT but though Q was a good depth signing.

I wanted  the Chiefs center instead of Basham and I wanted an OT instead of Cook this past draft.  That would have been much better use of draft picks but you can't say Beane didn't try to address the o-line this past off-season.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Bocephuz said:

Several plays where Josh hits his drop and the ball is out immediately on a hitch or a quick slant. This was very effective and got him the offense in a big rhythm.

This bugs me.  This is exactly how the Bills game planned to beat Aaron Donald and the Rams week 1 and it worked flawlessly.  They seemed to get away from it midway through the season for some reason but I would certainly like to see them get back on these long efficient passing drives.  Bring in less blockers and spread receivers out to give josh options for the quick reads.  

I think offensive line is something always in constant flux and in the past where Beane I would say hit on some free agent signings like Spain/Feliciano/Williams that filled a void for a year or so, this year Saffold has not answered the bell as we hope and Brown has taken a sizable step back (maybe injury related). Van Rotten is playing more then you would like as a healthy Bills line would be Dawkins Saffold Morse Bates Brown. The stalwarts of the line are Dawkins and Morse and everything else has been interchangeable going back to 2019 which has led to some good and some bad. I doubt that Brown is replaced as though this has not been the best year he was good last year and as I said injuries I think have had their toll.

I would expect next year a focus on OG in draft and FA to try and get younger. Additionally Morse is not exactly a young guy either and the Bills need to consider having an OG that can eventually move into that role. Bates has been fine but depth is always a luxury if you can get it.

Finally injuries have been everywhere this year. Offensive line requires a lot of cohesiveness to be at your best and truthfully they just have not had that. Not trying to make excuses as line play has hurt the Bills especially in the Jets game. After tomorrows game Buffalo gets a needed mini bye to put what will be their best roster possible out for the rest of the season and hopefully with that their most cohesive and high performing line.

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

I think offensive line is something always in constant flux and in the past where Beane I would say hit on some free agent signings like Spain/Feliciano/Williams that filled a void for a year or so, this year Saffold has not answered the bell as we hope and Brown has taken a sizable step back (maybe injury related). Van Rotten is playing more then you would like as a healthy Bills line would be Dawkins Saffold Morse Bates Brown. The stalwarts of the line are Dawkins and Morse and everything else has been interchangeable going back to 2019 which has led to some good and some bad. I doubt that Brown is replaced as though this has not been the best year he was good last year and as I said injuries I think have had their toll.

I would expect next year a focus on OG in draft and FA to try and get younger. Additionally Morse is not exactly a young guy either and the Bills need to consider having an OG that can eventually move into that role. Bates has been fine but depth is always a luxury if you can get it.

Finally injuries have been everywhere this year. Offensive line requires a lot of cohesiveness to be at your best and truthfully they just have not had that. Not trying to make excuses as line play has hurt the Bills especially in the Jets game. After tomorrows game Buffalo gets a needed mini bye to put what will be their best roster possible out for the rest of the season and hopefully with that their most cohesive and high performing line.

Cohesiveness is certainly important.. especially when you are trying to pick up stunts/twists etc. Hopefully Morse comes back and Bates kicks back over to RG to provide some stability to Brown in picking up stunts/ communication. Van Roten and Brown had zero chemistry on that last game. 

8 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

I don't know the mechanics or viability, but given Brown's size and that he's been much better in the run game, I wonder if he's more suited for a Guard position? Maybe moving him inside will help with his slow step and allow him to use his size to maul the guys in front of him rather than needing to peddle to the right to keep his man from getting around him. Just a thought...

This was exactly what I said last year after watching Brown for a couple games.

The biggest issue might be his size in passing lanes.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The Oline was my area of biggest concern this past offseason and the Bills need an overhaul. Need to replace Saffold and bring in competition for Brown and get some more depth and a developmental players.

25 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Oline was my area of biggest concern this past offseason and the Bills need an overhaul. Need to replace Saffold and bring in competition for Brown and get some more depth and a developmental players.

I'll admit I was a little shocked Beane didn't pick an OL with anywhere from 3-5 last draft.

It has to be the #1 priority this offseason.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

WR talent is the clear #1 priority IMO

OL is the obvious 2nd

The next time they draft a defensive player in the first three rounds will be too soon!

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'll admit I was a little shocked Beane didn't pick an OL with anywhere from 3-5 last draft.

It has to be the #1 priority this offseason.

I think will Allen’s elite mobility and pocket awareness they should prioritize WR talent and depth. 

I am with you though, it is a clear need. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In pass pro, that might help, but for a guard in the run game I worry about someone that tall being beaten for leverage. Low man wins. 

Moving the player inside to guard was what they were planning to do with Tommy Doyle, before his injury.

They have drafted two towering tackle prospects that are struggling so bad outside that they might be forced to play them in a position that doesn't suit their physical traits.

Sharing juicy insights on their decision-making process and being polished public speakers is great, but they could do much better at evaluating OL (and DE) talent.

Just take the best OL in the first round next year, regardless of position. Only way you don’t go OL is if a blue chipper unexpectedly falls, otherwise take the best prospect to protect Josh and let the players/coaches sort out who plays where.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.