Wise Words from the "Conehead"

ddaryl

Reminder that as fans we need to cherish these years because they won't last forever.

Hopefully the Sabres continue to improve and we have a 2 headed monster for at least a decade 

314080236_10159139018278862_680788425171

For those who don't know the Tom Conehead Girot

u212jbq8sv931.jpg?auto=webp&s=73d2e8a067

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 16
  • Thank you (+1) 14

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Are the Sabres still a thing? That's cute.

I don’t like the sabres more than the bills but the sabres have a much better all time record 

and historically is much more relevant

Buffalo also is one of the hockey capitals of America 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Are the Sabres still a thing? That's cute.

https://www.nhl.com/news/super-16-nhl-power-rankings-november-3/c-337124728?tid=278386388

9. Buffalo Sabres (7-3-0)

Total points: 96

Last week: No. 11

"I thought the Sabres had a chance at being a playoff contender if a few things broke right. They would need their top forwards who stepped up last season to keep scoring, their young defensemen to keep progressing, and strong goaltending from Craig Anderson. Well, Tage Thompson, Alex Tuch and Victor Olofsson each scored in a 6-3 win against the Penguins on Wednesday and are on pace to smash their previous NHL highs (38 for Thompson, 20 for Tuch, 20 for Olofsson). Rasmus Dahlin started the season with goals in five straight games and is an early contender for the Norris Trophy given to the best defensemen in the NHL. Anderson, 41, and Eric Comrie have provided top-10 goaltending. The Sabres have been fun to watch develop since Don Granato took over as coach last season, and it should be interesting to see how they handle this level of success as the season goes on." -- Adam Kimelman,

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Jesus, I remember my Dad buying beer from him at the War Memorial for Bisons game. 

“Buy a warm one from me, the next ones free!”

The Conehead guarantee. 

He’s 100% correct. I get the same feeling every week watching the Bills with my son. The Glory Years have returned, and it’s sweet as honey. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The early to mid-1970s were a great time to be a kid in Buffalo.  The Bills, Sabres and Braves were all really good, full of great personalities and had success.  Sal Maiorana wrote a book about it:

https://www.amazon.com/When-Buffalo-Atop-Sports-World/dp/B085K6R2TR/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=3TUHUQX1SPFZ3&keywords=sal+maiorana+books&qid=1667509215&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjAwIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=sal+mai%2Caps%2C142&sr=8-1

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Cos hockey sucks?

Hockey can be more enthralling than anything on earth if you are disposed to it. Clearly not everyone is, since it is 4th of 4 major sports. But it is right up there with the Buffalo Bills for me and many others 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Sabres are a real fun watch this watch. Entertaining, fast-paced, hungry, young, and playing together as a team after they finally cut out the cancer last year.

I just told my buddy the other day "I dream of seeing Josh Allen in a Sabres jersey and Super Bowl ring at the Stanley Cup parade in Buffalo". :thumbsup:

Tom (Conehead) is a great guy. Known him long enough to remember when the Conehead Guarantee was "If you get a warm beer from me, the NEXT one is free" instead of the updated "Get a warm beer from me, and you drink it for free". 🤣 Not that it matters. His beer is always cold. He actually taught me the right way to get your drinks as cold as possible. It's using water and making an ice bath, not just ice in the cooler. Knowing is half the battle!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don’t like the sabres more than the bills but the sabres have a much better all time record 

and historically is much more relevant

Buffalo also is one of the hockey capitals of America 

The first New Years Day outdoor game at the Ralph was a classic. With the snow and overtime, it ended up being everything and more that the NHL could want. I don’t think any since then have matched the scene of that day. Was that the high water moment of hockey in Buffalo?

Edited by CSBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, CSBill said:

The first New Years Day outdoor game at the Ralph was a classic. With the snow and overtime, it ended being everything and more that the NHL could want. I don’t think any since then have matched the scene of that day. Was that the high water moment of Sabers hockey? 

no. hell no.  The game’s took like 4 hours with all the stoppages to fix the ice.  And frigging Crosby scored the game-winning shootout goal for the Penguins 🤢

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CSBill said:

The first New Years Day outdoor game at the Ralph was a classic. With the snow and overtime, it ended up being everything and more that the NHL could want. I don’t think any since then have matched the scene of that day. Was that the high water moment of hockey in Buffalo?

Potentially for fans under 30.. as like a moment

for most older fans who have been there since day 1 they might say it’s the fog game in the 75 Stanley cup finals 

Gilbert has a special place in the heart of older buffalonians 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Potentially for fans under 30.. as like a moment

for most older fans who have been there since day 1 they might say it’s the fog game in the 75 Stanley cup finals 

Gilbert has a special place in the heart of older buffalonians 

Yeah, I can see that (well, couldn't see much that night watching it on TV).

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Cos hockey sucks?

I think you need to watch some Sabres games from the mid 90s - the early 2000s. With Hasek in net and Rick Jeanneret on the play by play. That's the time period that sticks out for me. IMO RJ was one of the best play by play guys in any sport. 

He had so many catch phrases and memorable calls. A few of my favorites

He shoots, he scooooooores!! Top shelf where momma hides the cookies!

La-la-la-la-la-la-LaFontaine!

Call a cop, he robbed him blind!

May Day!

We're going back to where Jimmy Hoffa is!

More cheap shots than a Mexican Cantina!

Man, I loved that dude.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.