Wise Words from the "Conehead"

ddaryl

1 hour ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Jesus, I remember my Dad buying beer from him at the War Memorial for Bisons game. 

“Buy a warm one from me, the next ones free!”

The Conehead guarantee. 

He’s 100% correct. I get the same feeling every week watching the Bills with my son. The Glory Years have returned, and it’s sweet as honey. 

Same here but my dad at the Bisons games in the 90s. I love your quote and:

”Cold Labatts!

Peanuts!

Who… needs… a… beer?”

Great guy. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

I don't care if you are a fan of a different hockey team or if you don't like hockey but any supposed "Diehard" Bills fan on here talking S*** about the Sabres can F*** Right Off!  The Sabres are a huge part of the fabric to WNY and have their place in the Western New York community.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I think you need to watch some Sabres games from the mid 90s - the early 2000s. With Hasek in net and Rick Jeanneret on the play by play. That's the time period that sticks out for me. IMO RJ was one of the best play by play guys in any sport. 

And ‘05 - ‘07!!!

We 100% would have won the Stanley Cup the year after the lockout if we could have gotten past the Hurricanes in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals.  Ugh…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

And ‘05 - ‘07!!!

We 100% would have won the Stanley Cup the year after the lockout if we could have gotten past the Hurricanes in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals.  Ugh…

Yes, those years as well, but the mid 90s - 2001 is the time period I really became a fan and started watching every single game religiously.

• Like (+1) 1

How many of us here have bought a beer from Conehead, just for the experience, because he was Conehead? Same with The Earl of Bud. I have an autographed picture of The Earl still proudly on display in my house from when I was a young pup. What a gig these guys have had for so long. Great post OP!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Potentially for fans under 30.. as like a moment

for most older fans who have been there since day 1 they might say it’s the fog game in the 75 Stanley cup finals 

Gilbert has a special place in the heart of older buffalonians 

MAY DAY! MAY DAY! MAY DAY! MAY DAY! Brad May wins in it overtime. Kind of like when the Bills finally ended streak against Dolphins. Fog game was more significant, but those were 2 huge monkeys off Buffalo's backs.

I can't believe Conehead is still around (I moved away years ago).  Like an earlier poster mentioned, some of my earliest memories are seeing him and the Earl of Bud at the Rockpile at Bisons games as a kid.  I loved those games at the Rockpile.  Place was usually half empty, so me and the other neighborhood kids would just bounce all over the stadium, trying to find a good spot to snag foul balls.

Surprised to see the hate for hockey.  Guessing GunnerBill has never been to a game in person.  It's the best live sports viewing experience of them all, in my opinion.  And this is coming from someone who never played more than after school street and pond hockey as a kid.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Potentially for fans under 30.. as like a moment

for most older fans who have been there since day 1 they might say it’s the fog game in the 75 Stanley cup finals 

Gilbert has a special place in the heart of older buffalonians 

Sabres 12, Wings 6 …. during the cold war and on the border of Canada.   Without a Cup or Lombardi, the greatest professional sports moment in Buffalo, ever.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Jesus, I remember my Dad buying beer from him at the War Memorial for Bisons game. 

“Buy a warm one from me, the next ones free!”

The Conehead guarantee. 

He’s 100% correct. I get the same feeling every week watching the Bills with my son. The Glory Years have returned, and it’s sweet as honey. 

What's Jesus have to do with this?

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Cos hockey sucks?

No way man. You’re nuts!

Hockey is one of the most exciting sports to watch, especially good playoff hockey. It’s so high paced, with constant change of possession.

And physical. Is there anything better than a big open ice hit? Much higher scoring in this era too. So many exciting young players to watch.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I don't care if you are a fan of a different hockey team or if you don't like hockey but any supposed "Diehard" Bills fan on here talking S*** about the Sabres can F*** Right Off!  The Sabres are a huge part of the fabric to WNY and have their place in the Western New York community.  

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47nb0hlwoj77rn0mwuxw

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

And anyone telling Bills fans not to talk ***** about the worst team in pro sports over the last decade better be a season ticket holder to the Sabres.   Douchebags who don't put their money where their mouth is but act like they are the Sabres #1 fan are as useless as t!ts on a bull.    

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47nb0hlwoj77rn0mwuxw

You are a fan of New England pro sports teams........the ultimate sin of a WNY sports fan...........and you have literally whined on TSW about us criticizing your fellow Mass-hole sports fans.    

As if there is any difference between the fans of the Patriots/Celtics/Bruins/Red Sox. 

There ain't.  

So don't try to act like you are captain Buffalo you traitor. 😂

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.