Sal at Yankee Stadium

Albany,n.y.

48 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

thread help. MLB sucks at competition…..payroll

yanks $251M

Orioles $43M  

Buffalo wouldn’t have a fair chance to win.

GO BILLS - NEXT WEEK!!

Yep.

But baseball has a very different dynamic with their customers...........it can survive and thrive with economic disparities because it provides games everyday.

And it's the more naturally competitive sport.

There aren't the naturally huge winning % disparities between the best and the worst that there are in football.    The few of the very best MLB teams average 10-6 every 16 games...........and the worst go 6-10.    There were years where 10-6 didn't even get teams into the playoff field at all in the NFL.    

But if those kind of spending disparities existed in the 17 game per year NFL the level of competition would be a joke.   And then there would only be enough interest to support the very largest markets.   The decrease in every kind of revenue stream would be exponential.    Football simply doesn't make enough product to survive doing it any other way and Pete Rozelle knew that and their system of sharing the largest revenue streams is how he elevated the NFL up to the level of baseball and beyond when they hadn't even been in the same stratosphere of interest in the first half of the 20th century.

MLB also does have the basic parity system of drafting at the top when you lose just like the NFL........but additionally teams often have 10 years or even more of player control over signees(6 once at the MLB level) so that gives teams time to develop talent from within and build just that doesn't exist in the NFL.  

They also have a rule where you have to put 5th year minor leaguers......sometimes still raw 20 year olds........on your protected big league 40 man roster or expose them to other teams in a supplemental draft in December that also serves to undermine the depth of winning organizations and reward teams that are bad at scouting, drafting and developing by handing them free and seasoned prospects.   That system sorta' works like a reverse "comp pick" situation where you take mid-late round picks away from winning teams.  

And baseball also has long had a system where you lose your first round pick if you sign a player in unrestricted free agency who has been given a qualifying offer by his past team.   That team then got a free pick in between rounds 1 and 2.    So baseball HAS competitive balance procedures in place that significantly impact how big markets do business.

The aforementioned Orioles have been terrible for a long time and subsequently have drafted at the very top and now have a relatively strong nucleus of young talent.    So they should win with a low payroll for 3-5 years before they have to decide if they want to spend like the mid-large market team they've actually always been.   That's the dream for teams..........to win on the cheap and pocket big money for a few seasons before they have to decide how all-in they are.   Teams like the Cubs and Astros have used tanking to re-set their talent level and win titles in the last decade and then chosen to go opposite directions with regard to spending/committment to winning.   

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well I will give you a Bills comparison...........the Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner makes "cash to the cap" version of Ralph look like a spendthrift. :lol:

The Yankees used to spend about 80% of their gross revenue on payroll during their most recent dynasty around 2000.

Now it's less than 30%........the lowest % of any team in MLB.

When you have 30 straight winning seasons.........the Yankees haven't had a losing season after the Bills lost SB XXVI to the then Washington "Redskins"...............you never get to reset your prospect system and draft at the top...........so you naturally have to buy more and more talent to remain status quo........and if you cheap out..........you get what you pay for.

Vegas was about right.........they had the Yankees as the 6th best team in MLB and they made the final 4 but really were like the 6th or 7th best team.

Hard to claim that the Yanks have "cheaped out"--they are consistently among the very highest payrolls in the league.  They were a record setting team for much of the season. 

Mets, Dodgers and Yanks are way ahead of the rest of the league in money spent on players. All bounced from the playoffs--Mets embarrassingly so.  

• Like (+1) 1

Any other Yankees fans in the house? 

It's a weird combo.  The Bills have never won it all, fans here have absolutely zero entitlement at this point, and the nation basically roots for the Bills when their team isn't playing (with a few exceptions, and that is starting to slowly change).

The Yankees are reviled if you're not a fan - very much like the Patriots in the NFL.  It's so weird to experience that as a fan.

13 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

…..and that the Yankees are King over the Mets in Gotham.

And always will be.

Not so fast.

The Mets owned this city in the 80’s and it could happen again.

All it takes are the Mets competing and the Yankees becoming doormats for it to happen,

Not that I really give two craps how it goes because I don’t watch bore fest baseball.

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well I will give you a Bills comparison...........the Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner makes "cash to the cap" version of Ralph look like a spendthrift. :lol:

The Yankees used to spend about 80% of their gross revenue on payroll during their most recent dynasty around 2000.

Now it's less than 30%........the lowest % of any team in MLB.

When you have 30 straight winning seasons.........the Yankees haven't had a losing season after the Bills lost SB XXVI to the then Washington "Redskins"...............you never get to reset your prospect system and draft at the top...........so you naturally have to buy more and more talent to remain status quo........and if you cheap out..........you get what you pay for.

Vegas was about right.........they had the Yankees as the 6th best team in MLB and they made the final 4 but really were like the 6th or 7th best team.

That's because Steinbrenner Sr. spent all his money on calzones.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Not so fast.

All it takes are the Mets competing and the Yankees becoming doormats for it to happen,

Not that I really give two craps how it goes because I don’t watch bore fest baseball.

I think you do sort of care, you ole’ softy you. 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

This was from Sal's Twitter.  The reason I posted it is because Sal has been talking about going to NYC and Yankee Stadium with his son while on WGR the last few days.  I though it was a nice story that Sal and Max made it to the game.  If Sal hadn't been telling the story on the radio the last few days I wouldn't have posted it, but I though some of the listeners would be glad to see they made it to the game.  Obviously the detractors aren't fans of Sal, who is one of the few people on WGR worth listening to.    

Yeah man. All good here. Dude there's thing on here about Tom Brady, Dan Snyder, Russ Wilson, Watson and so on. People who are for sure Not related to the Bills whatsoever, yet you post about Sal and we get the "whys this a post" what's this have to do with the bills". I can't stand social

media because people crap on each other at the drop of a dime. I'd just like this place to be different (and it is for the most part). Have a great day man

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Hard to claim that the Yanks have "cheaped out"--they are consistently among the very highest payrolls in the league.  They were a record setting team for much of the season. 

Mets, Dodgers and Yanks are way ahead of the rest of the league in money spent on players. All bounced from the playoffs--Mets embarrassingly so.  

Again.........the Yankees used to spend upwards of 80% of their revenue on payroll.........BY FAR the most in the league.

More recently they spend about 30% of their revenue on payroll..........sure it's still top 5 every year...........but the nature of having to buy top talent to dodge the parity machine is that the longer you rely on free agency to do that.....the more empty, toothless back-end-of-contract dollars that are going to pad your payroll figure and give a false impression of your degree of commitment to winning.   

They are by far the highest revenue generating team in MLB.........hundreds of millions more than the Dodgers and yet still close to $40M LESS in payroll expenditures in 2022.  And the Yankees also own their own TV network to boot.   They should never NOT be the highest spending team in MLB.

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

Not so fast.

Nah........the Mets owned NYC for about 3-4 years in the 80's.

The Yankees won the most games in all of MLB in the decade of the 1980's............they were far from a doormat at the time.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Again.........the Yankees used to spend upwards of 80% of their revenue on payroll.........BY FAR the most in the league.

More recently they spend about 30% of their revenue on payroll..........sure it's still top 5 every year...........but the nature of having to buy top talent to dodge the parity machine is that the longer you rely on free agency to do that.....the more empty, toothless back-end-of-contract dollars that are going to pad your payroll figure and give a false impression of your degree of commitment to winning.   

They are by far the highest revenue generating team in MLB.........hundreds of millions more than the Dodgers and yet still close to $40M LESS in payroll expenditures in 2022.  And the Yankees also own their own TV network to boot.   They should never NOT be the highest spending team in MLB.

Where are you seeing the Yankees are "hundreds of millions" ahead of the Dodgers in annual revenue?  I see Dodgers listed #1.

Even so, obviously no team is going to spend 80% of their revenue ($400+ million??) to filed a team---because they don't have to. The Yankees and Mets were the best teams in there Leagues for much of the season.  Then both collapsed when it mattered.  Both have mediocrities at Manager.  

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.