Will this be the year Josh Allen joins the 5000 club?

Lost

it's crazy that Manning's 5,477 yards and 55 TD in a 16 game season still stand. 

The yardage is going to fall eventually, but that TD record is going to be tough to top, even in 17 games.

As amazing a year as Allen has had so far, he's on pace to break the yardage record but not close to the TD record. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

8 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I would say there is a great chance we see 5000 yards this year.   There is no doubt McDermott has evolved and allowed the offense to keep the foot on the gas but that is not new this year, it happened last year and the year before also.   How much of that is related to the competence/confidence in the offense vs a change in philosophy could be debated.   Obviously the Steelers game is an exception to that but if you look at Josh's other 400 yard games there were a couple in Miami that went to the end.  And I am not sure he was being suppressed, the overall talent level was low his first two years on offense.  Josh Allen has continually improved his game which has allowed this stuff to happen.  More than anything Josh Allen's work ethic and competitiveness is responsible for the level of offense we are seeing IMO.

You forgot to add an increased faith in the defense. You have to be able to hedge your bet on bring aggressive offensively. Yes we had the number 1 defense last year,  but the improvement by revamping the DL is a huge part of the aggressiveness by McD...

8 hours ago, Lost said:

For the first couple years of his career I didn't think it would ever happen, not because JA isn't capable but because the McD coaching style was supressing him to some extent.   McD has typically liked to slow the game down and switch to clock management mode running the ball anytime Bills got more than a 1 TD lead in games so allen never really saw those big 400yd games.   It seems the players mantra of not letting off the gas has started to rub off on McD this year.   For instance the Bills were still passing the ball even while up 31-3 against the Steelers 2 weeks ago.  

Anyway,  Josh is on pace for 5600 passing yards  and 48 TDs this season with the Easier half of their schedule coming up.  

Josh passed for 400 yards twice in 2020 and had another game at 375. He's done it before, it's just that year    he dislocated his shoulder against the Raiders and his stats suffered for the next several weeks. 

There's several people saying he won't get it because he'll sit some 4th quarters. He's already sitting 33% of 4th quarters and is still well ahead of the pace he needs.

Josh also has a chance to beat Drew Brees record of 347.63 total yards per game by a QB, Josh is currently averaging 372.8 He also has a chance at Peyton Manning's record of 3.5 total tds per game, Josh is currently averaging 3.2

3 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

Given a couple of their losses last year against teams they should've beaten, I wouldn't call that entirely accurate.  Those losses cost them homefield.

You do realize it is possible not to underestimate a bad team and still go out and lose to them when you are clearly the superior squad. You can be ready and go out and lay an egg, parity is king in this league. 

6 minutes ago, JDubya76 said:

You do realize it is possible not to underestimate a bad team and still go out and lose to them when you are clearly the superior squad. You can be ready and go out and lay an egg, parity is king in this league. 

To say they were "ready" given the errors they were making is a tough sell, chief.

Edited by Billz4ever

13 minutes ago, JDubya76 said:

Mistakes happen all the time, buckaroo. The other team get paid too, and the sun shines on a dogs azz some days.

Ok, you keep splitting hairs. They played like crap and lost to some teams they should've beaten, but let's keep acting like a loss isn't still a loss like you apparently want to do and also act like those losses didn't cost them homefield advantage, which they most certainly did.

Edited by Billz4ever

13 hours ago, StHustle said:

Nowadays it seems like an off game if JA doesn’t get at least 300 yards. Because passing the ball so much has become engrained in our offense’s DNA, I believe Josh will average over 300 ypg and indeed join the 5000 club this year. 

That’s pretty amazing considering the fact he didn’t have his first 300 yard game until his 3rd season.

I’m contrast, Kenny Pickett had a 300 yard passing game his first start and so many other rookie starting QBs get their first one relatively quickly.

When your WRs in 2018 are named Benjamin (Washed Up),  Zay Jones and Charles Clay (TE) it is hard to have 3000 yards 

When your WRs in 2019 are named Beasley, Brown and a rookie Knox, it is hard to get anywhere close to 3500 yards..

When you add a Diggs to the 2020 campaign along with an improved Knox, then things are different.

He’s on pace to smash the total yards record which Drew Brees holds. No, not held by Peyton, because Peyton had like -30 rushing yards the season he set the single season passing yards mark. While Drew Brees had like 80 yards rushing. 

I forget what the record is that Brees has. Somewhere around 5,500 yards I think.  Allen is on pace for like 6,300 yards.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.