AJ Epenesa Is really playing well

78thealltimegreat

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If you rewatch the game last night AJ was noticeable particularly in run support. This is the second week he’s playing solid hopefully he’s finally turned the corner. 

I was worried he was going to get a flag for a hit to the head last night on that one run stop...it looked like he came up and just shouldered a dude under the chin and sent him flying near the LOS on the one play...I don't think I have ever seen a tackle like that before.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 78thealltimegreat said:

If you rewatch the game last night AJ was noticeable particularly in run support. This is the second week he’s playing solid hopefully he’s finally turned the corner. 

I totally agree. That said, guys don't always turn out to be the style of player that we envisioned them to be coming in. They are however, valuable pieces in this scheme. Right now, everybody is playing well. If they are all able to chill a little at the beginning of games, and play disciplined 1/11th football for 60 minutes, there is no way  this team can be stopped.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, clayboy54 said:

I totally agree. That said, guys don't always turn out to be the style of player that we envisioned them to be coming in. They are however, valuable pieces in this scheme. Right now, everybody is playing well. If they are all able to chill a little at the beginning of games, and play disciplined 1/11th football for 60 minutes, there is no way  this team can be stopped.

Yeh it’s almost like a light went on he looks like a completely different player 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I was worried he was going to get a flag for a hit to the head last night on that one run stop...it looked like he came up and just shouldered a dude under the chin and sent him flying near the LOS on the one play...I don't think I have ever seen a tackle like that before.

It looked more like a hockey hip check than a football tackle lol

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Might need to be if we are down 3 of our 4 DTs for Miami. In the heat and humidity down there you want to be able to have a heavy rotation as well. 

Basham can also slide inside if need be. Lots of versatility not to mention the Fish aren't all that much of a threat to run up the middle.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

It was my least favorite play of his all night. Bad form, and bad idea. As a DL, he needs to be wrapping up and tackling through the player. Especially when playing Derrick Henry.

I hate that DBs all try to do that human-missile garbage now, and I hate it even more from DLs.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I actually would be surprised if Oliver and Settle don't play.  

Settle of the 3 has the best shot I think. I don't think Ed was ever close for this week based on what I saw and heard. I think he is more 50/50. Phillips if he has tweaked his hammy is probably out. If it was just tightness and they said "this game is done out you come" then he should be fine. Think it is pretty binary on him we should know from McD's first media session where he stands.

The growth of the young talent is just as a important as having Von Miller, imo. Epenesa has taken a couple of years to develop, but the limits caused by COVID must have had an effect. Our second team DL this year might overall be on a par with our starting DL last year.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

Basham can also slide inside if need be. Lots of versatility not to mention the Fish aren't all that much of a threat to run up the middle.

He can and so can Groot as he showed last night.... but you'd be down to one true starting level DT on the road in a place where you want to rotate because of conditions. That is not the end of the world but it is less than ideal. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Settle of the 3 has the best shot I think. I don't think Ed was ever close for this week based on what I saw and heard. I think he is more 50/50. Phillips if he has tweaked his hammy is probably out. If it was just tightness and they said "this game is done out you come" then he should be fine. Think it is pretty binary on him we should know from McD's first media session where he stands.

I think Phillips is out for a long while.  He tweaked hammy usually has you hobbling...he went down hard liked it locked up completely.  

I've heard that Settle thought he could go last night.  I think it was a precautionary to hold him off one more week.

I think you're right about Oliver not being close last night but it'll be more than two weeks for his sprain.  I've sprained my ankle I think 7 times in my life and 10 days was the norm for me....but I'm also not 285 lbs.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Miami is probably a good opponent to face with some of your huge DT's out. Being fast against them might be a good way to go anyway. Hill and Waddle against a depleted secondary is more of a concern IMO. They have enough bodies to rotate in the heat. Just not the bodies we might have expected.

Tua had a great 4th quarter but the long balls were all short and in the air a long time. Much harder to do that against our D. They won't stop Josh, and Tua having to match score for score without getting those long passes (which he won't against the Bills D) is a long shot IMO.

19 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It was my least favorite play of his all night. Bad form, and bad idea. As a DL, he needs to be wrapping up and tackling through the player. Especially when playing Derrick Henry.

I hate that DBs all try to do that human-missile garbage now, and I hate it even more from DLs.

Yeah I wasn't a fan either but it just was a super weird play that worked that time...I am sure he will be getting ragged on in the film room about it

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.