Bills sign Dawson Knox to 4-year $53.6 mill extension ($31 mill gtd) through 2026

YoloinOhio

I don't really understand the focus on the Knox contract.  Not a good contract, but Knox was coming off a solid season and Kincaid had not been drafted (plus Knox seems to be pals with Allen, for whatever additional value that provided).  Sure, it would be great if we could be using some of the cap dollars that represent an over pay by the Bills for the Knox contract, but shouldn't there be a lot more discussion regarding the awful contract with Miller given the magnitude of the wasted dollars involved compared to the Knox contract?  

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

I don't really understand the focus on the Knox contract.  Not a good contract, but Knox was coming off a solid season and Kincaid had not been drafted (plus Knox seems to be pals with Allen, for whatever additional value that provided).  Sure, it would be great if we could be using some of the cap dollars that represent an over pay by the Bills for the Knox contract, but shouldn't there be a lot more discussion regarding the awful contract with Miller given the magnitude of the wasted dollars involved compared to the Knox contract?  

Like many contracts,  I think Knox's will get better with time.  The cap just had a dramatic increase and league revenues will likely continue to rise substantially. 

In 2 years we'll have some big contracts off the books and and replaced with younger players deals.  I don't think Knox has a contract we should be worried about.  Plus,  he'll likely have a restructure coming up.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Like many contracts,  I think Knox's will get better with time.  The cap just had a dramatic increase and league revenues will likely continue to rise substantially. 

In 2 years we'll have some big contracts off the books and and replaced with younger players deals.  I don't think Knox has a contract we should be worried about.  Plus,  he'll likely have a restructure coming up.  

there’s a good chance he’s gone in 2 years - it needs to look better fast 

16 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Knox had 186 receiving yards last year for 13 million a year. It is a disaster of a contract.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Why do you think the Bills would want to restructure?

because they plan on keeping him on the team a few more seasons and this would help alleviate some cap issues we currently have.

Classic fan mentality in this thread. Since Kincaid has emerged, they advocate for trading Knox..."He makes too much money!!" They act like they're paying Knox out of their own bank accounts. If Beane were to listen to them, trade Knox for a 4th rounder, and use that pick on the BPA; then the Bills end up with, let's say, a backup OT. Then in week 3, when Kindaid pulls a hamstring, Morris or some scrub rookie/street free agent ends up starting at TE. Then the same fans that b!tched about Knox's contract rant about the team not having any depth and what a poor job of roster construction Beane has done.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, klos63 said:

because they plan on keeping him on the team a few more seasons and this would help alleviate some cap issues we currently have.

Do you think Knox is going to simply take less money without getting cut and becoming a free agent? Or do you think the bills will restructure and guarantee the rest of his contract. 

1 hour ago, MWK said:

Knox had 186 receiving yards last year for 13 million a year. It is a disaster of a contract.

He also got hurt. 

7 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Do you think Knox is going to simply take less money without getting cut and becoming a free agent? Or do you think the bills will restructure and guarantee the rest of his contract. 

I think they restructure and commit longer, he’s a good player and a solid TE1b

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, QCity said:

He missed 5 games. 

When he came back healthy after the bye he played 45% of the snaps.

He played hurt for a few games too... also, I'm sure the injury limited this ability to do certain things after he came back

52 minutes ago, klos63 said:

A restructure would alleviate some of the problems now, but would make his contract even worse in the years to come. I think the Bills should approach him about a pay cut, not a restructure.

41 minutes ago, QCity said:

He missed 5 games. 

When he came back healthy after the bye he played 45% of the snaps.

I think it feels like Knox missed most of the year because he was largely a non-factor. It was a bad contract then (and I said as much before Kincaid was even on the radar) and it’s a bad contract now. The timing of it - after his brother had passed and before he ever took a snap in Dorsey’s offense - was curious to me. If all things stay status quo, I can’t see him being a real threat when we’ll have Diggs, Kincaid, a highly touted rookie, and Cook stealing his targets. Maybe even Shakir.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Chaos said:

just guessing, obviously, but I would expect a restructure to alleviate cap space and no changes to the overall value of the deal. But overall, i think they see Knox as a big asset and want him on the team going forward, and restructures seem to be part of the plan on most big contracts.

8 hours ago, RussellDopeland said:

Classic fan mentality in this thread. Since Kincaid has emerged, they advocate for trading Knox..."He makes too much money!!" They act like they're paying Knox out of their own bank accounts. If Beane were to listen to them, trade Knox for a 4th rounder, and use that pick on the BPA; then the Bills end up with, let's say, a backup OT. Then in week 3, when Kindaid pulls a hamstring, Morris or some scrub rookie/street free agent ends up starting at TE. Then the same fans that b!tched about Knox's contract rant about the team not having any depth and what a poor job of roster construction Beane has done.

you can’t pay top ten money for a backup and Knox will quickly be that. 

7 hours ago, klos63 said:

just guessing, obviously, but I would expect a restructure to alleviate cap space and no changes to the overall value of the deal. But overall, i think they see Knox as a big asset and want him on the team going forward, and restructures seem to be part of the plan on most big contracts.

once Kincaid got here it became an entirely different issue than you are framing.

10 hours ago, jahnyc said:

Not that type of money season!! Beane got Jerry Maguire'd

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.