Compare and Contrast Von's move with Reggie White in 1993

ganesh

Reggie white - After 8 seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles, signs a 4year 17M FA deal with the GB Packets at the age of 32.  He went on to play for six seasons with them including a SuperBowl win and averaging about 10+ sacks per year. 

Von Miller is coming to Buffalo almost in a similar fashion and has signed a six year contract.  Do you see Miller having the same impact as Green did to Favre and the Packers on their way to a Lombardi. 

Thoughts ?

• Like (+1) 3

Goat, you beat me to it.  Reggie White is one of the best two DE’s to play the game opposite of Bruuuce.  Von is fantastic and what he did in the SB against Newton was unbelievable.  I see Von giving us three excellent years, and we move on as we won’t want to pay the entire contract.  BTW, I’d love to be wrong and he plays at an elite level until 39, but I just doubt it. What I don’t want to see is he gives us 3 great years, but starts to diminish in his speed and we hold on too long.

Its a good topic though Ganesh.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Reggie white - After 8 seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles, signs a 4year 17M FA deal with the GB Packets at the age of 32.  He went on to play for six seasons with them including a SuperBowl win and averaging about 10+ sacks per year. 

Von Miller is coming to Buffalo almost in a similar fashion and has signed a six year contract.  Do you see Miller having the same impact as Green did to Favre and the Packers on their way to a Lombardi. 

Thoughts ?

Not exactly…. White was still at the very peak of his game and is tied with Bruce Smith as the best DL of all-time….

Von is a hair lower than those guys and is no longer at his peak.

So, not exactly but similar. The move was made to produce the same result; Super Bowl victories.

For the Bills, so much is hanging on the rest of the DL, Tre White’s return, and Elam’s ability to learn and gain confidence….

Reggie White felt like a one man wrecking crew.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Goat, you beat me to it.  Reggie White is one of the best two DE’s to play the game opposite of Bruuuce.  Von is fantastic and what he did in the SB against Newton was unbelievable.  I see Von giving us three excellent years, and we move on as we won’t want to pay the entire contract.  BTW, I’d love to be wrong and he plays at an elite level until 39, but I just doubt it. What I don’t want to see is he gives us 3 great years, but starts to diminish in his speed and we hold on too long.

Its a good topic though Ganesh.  

In one interview recently Von mentioned he wants to be a GM one day so he plays until he has to concede to father time and he just moves into a position in front office to learn from the current best gm in the NFL.  Win win.  

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I would probably compare it to bringing in Bryce Paup, more than Reggie. JMO.

Paup was just Another FA acquisition who happened to have two great seasons in Buffalo.   White was one of the best DE in the league when he moved to Green Bay. Von Miller has been one of the best in his craft while at Denver and brief stint in LA

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

There is definitely precedent for top DEs to perform at a high level after 30 for many years. 

Von has the desire and tenacity to match both Bruce's and Reggie's late career accomplishments... he could even surpass them

12 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I would probably compare it to bringing in Bryce Paup, more than Reggie. JMO.

Bryce was a helluva coup, he played extremely well for us... but only for a short time.  Not the same lvl that Buce and Reggie maintained for a longer time.

But Bryce is one of our best ever FA pickups

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t dislike Von but he’s not the same kind of beast as some of the greats. He’s had a huge knack for making big plays in big moments. Which is exactly what we have needed for years. He’s also fully capable of being invisible for stretches of games as well. I don’t know what impact he’ll have in the stats, but we might only see a 6-7 sack season not DPOY kinda numbers. He needs Oliver or Rousseau to take a step towards elite status for this to work successfully imo. 

The biggest impact Von will bring is the attention he will be paid, creating opportunity for others...

Von getting 9 or 10 sacks isnt a big deal if teams dont double and triple him.  I think teams will game plan for him until he shows they dont have to. 

IMO, Von was the missing link on the defense, the reason they were willing to pay him so much.  I really how he does not start slowing down in his first 3 years here.     

11 hours ago, ganesh said:

Thoughts ?

My first thought…..was how puny that Reggie White contract seems right now! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.