OJ Howard expected to sign with Bengals (update: signs with Texans)

YoloinOhio

54 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Wow, I have the impression that Joe knows his stuff about the cap, but that wasn't my understanding of offset language at al.

Since players are paid by the game, I thought you take whatever the new team pays per game - I think Howard's minimum salary is $1.035M or $57,500 per game - multiply by the number of games he's on a roster, and that's what the Bills get credit for.

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Wow, I have the impression that Joe knows his stuff about the cap, but that wasn't my understanding of offset language at al.

Since players are paid by the game, I thought you take whatever the new team pays per game - I think Howard's minimum salary is $1.035M or $57,500 per game - multiply by the number of games he's on a roster, and that's what the Bills get credit for.

Vested veterans have their entire salary guaranteed if they're on the 53-man roster to start the season.  Only if they sign after week 1 do they get paid game-by-game.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Vested veterans have their entire salary guaranteed if they're on the 53-man roster to start the season.  Only if they sign after week 1 do they get paid game-by-game.

You're getting stuff mixed, Doc.

We all know Howard's salary was fully guaranteed, period, whether he's on the roster to start the season or not.

Vested veterans may claim their entire salary if cut after the first day of the season one time during their career, so it's not all vested veterans all the time.

That said, all NFL players get paid game by game during the season - whether their salary is guaranteed or not, whether they're a vested vet who has exercised his "once in career" guarantee, or whether they're a rookie. I believe income taxes are the reason for this, since the players owe state income tax due in the state where the game is held.

49 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If rather have the cap credit applied next year honestly. 

Getting another 1-1.5m this year doesn't change anything. We are still deep right now.  Next year is when the big contracts kick in. 

Unless they really wanted obj this year. 

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

If rather have the cap credit applied next year honestly. 

Getting another 1-1.5m this year doesn't change anything. We are still deep right now.  Next year is when the big contracts kick in. 

Unless they really wanted obj this year. 

If they want obj they can maneuver the cap to sign him imo

58 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

You're getting stuff mixed, Doc.

We all know Howard's salary was fully guaranteed, period, whether he's on the roster to start the season or not.

Vested veterans may claim their entire salary if cut after the first day of the season one time during their career, so it's not all vested veterans all the time.

That said, all NFL players get paid game by game during the season - whether their salary is guaranteed or not, whether they're a vested vet who has exercised his "once in career" guarantee, or whether they're a rookie. I believe income taxes are the reason for this, since the players owe state income tax due in the state where the game is held.

This is the first year he'll be eligible to take advantage of it.  And if he gets cut by the Texans, one of the most talent-poor teams in the league, he'll in all likelihood take the full year's salary.

5 hours ago, RunJoshRun said:

Lets be honest - who really cares where he signs!  He's a bum.

I'm glad to see he signed with the Texans, who are no threat to the Bills, on the off-chance they got it wrong with him.  And also for the cap relief it may provide.

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I know Spotrac is not the "official" cap space entity, but OJ Howard's 2022 dead money cost came down about $950k.

Bills now have $3.1M in cap space.

FWIW.

I just noticed this too. If Sportrac is right then info from Sal that we get any cap space back next year was incorrect. But I guess Sal might be right and Sportrac just simplified things.

Also, do we know if this is final or he needs to stay on the Texans roster (and we get some prorated number if he is cut)?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.