Thoughts about starters during the rest of preseason

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Should starters see the field during preseason?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. [Poll] Whaddya think? Do the major starters get/need any playing time before season starts?

• No friggin' way - I know what they can do and I want no injuries. I wanna see more of the 2s and 3s to evaluate.
    • Yes, this week. Knock some rust off, game action with new coaches, develop timing. Home game, extra week to recover should any nicks happen. Make the kids happy!
    • Yes, next week. Closer to season, get used to operating on the road

13 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I no longer see the value in preseason reps unless you’re trying to decide on the key roster decisions..

They say it helps tune up and game speed yada yada, but the starters aren’t going all out full intensity.

Save it for when it counts. 

The start of the season is still wonky and a mess regardless of the number of pre-season games. You can't 'simulate' when the Ws and Ls actually count. 

• Agree 1

If we were playing the Jets in week 1, then I wouldn't let the starters see the field for the entire preseason.  But since we start on the road against the Rams, I think they need to take a few hits and get the brain going.  I don't want them to knock the rust off at halftime and it's too late to recover

20 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm still trying to figure out the new preseason plan across the league now that they're down to 3 preseason games. It USED to be, the 3rd game was the dress rehearsal with all the starters, and then the 4th game was for all the backups and deep roster battles.

Not sure if they bump it up and have week 2 be the starters rehearsal, and week 3 be the backup battles. Or if we wait until week 3 to play the starters.

Either way, I think they will get SOME time. They need to get out and have at least 1 series of live, full speed action.

I think playing the starters this week makes the most sense.

Just wait until we get to 18 regular season games and the preseason goes down to 2 games.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I no longer see the value in preseason reps unless you’re trying to decide on the key roster decisions..

They say it helps tune up and game speed yada yada, but the starters aren’t going all out full intensity.

Save it for when it counts. 

Big disagree on the bold.

The coaches may have a vanilla game plan, but every player in a game, even if it is preseason, is going to go 100%. Because they dont know if the guy across from them is trying to make the team and going to go 100% too. And if they dont, then not only will they get dominated, but there is a huge risk for injury.

In all my playing days across multiple sports, we always saw the most injuries when we'd have 75% play-throughs.

And nothing in practice can simulate a real game.

The starters need to get in and bang at least once before the regular season.

• Agree 2

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

The coaches may have a vanilla game plan, but every player in a game, even if it is preseason, is going to go 100%. Because they dont know if the guy across from them is trying to make the team and going to go 100% too. And if they dont, then not only will they get dominated, but there is a huge risk for injury.

In all my playing days across multiple sports, we always saw the most injuries when we'd have 75% play-throughs.

Disagree on the disagree… pass rushers in particular are notably partial speed in the preseason… 

1 hour ago, CountDorkula said:

This is 100% a fans expectation.

Players from all over the league say they don't need or see a reason to play in preseason.  Most of them play to not get hurt anyways.

Players would also be the first to tell you they dont need Training Camp or Practice either. Dont believe the players. They're lazy when it comes to this stuff.

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Disagree on the disagree… pass rushers in particular are notably partial speed in the preseason… 

I'm gonna need a link to some film and analysis on that.

44 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm gonna need a link to some film and analysis on that...............

29 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

I think we should look to the Jets to see why not playing your starting QB in preseason is a really good idea. 

Sorry, this is some playing-afraid/playing-not-to-lose stuff. I understand the risks as well, and dont want to take any unnecessary chances, but almost every other starting QB played last week and Wilson was the one and only injury. So if that's your point, then you are telling us the odds are in our favor.

There is a difference between being in running/conditioning shape, and being in hitting shape.

Also, how dare you compare our big, beefy boy with soft, little Wilson. Josh isnt getting a no-contact bone bruise. He DELIVERS the bone bruises.

I understand why teams want to be conservative during the preseason and not risk injury, but by the same token you also risk injuries with guys who have had had little to no contact during camp/preseason once the live bullets start flying.

I also think getting off to a slow start and losing to a physical team like the Steelers in the opener last year also had a lot to do with this team being overconfident and not ready because most of the key players didn't get many preseason snaps.

Therefore I'm in the camp that thinks we should get the starters some action for at least a quarter or so in one of the next few games. KC had no problem trotting out Mahomes and a lot of their key guys last week and that's the team we are ultimately still gunning for.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Sorry, this is some playing-afraid/playing-not-to-lose stuff. I understand the risks as well, and dont want to take any unnecessary chances, but almost every other starting QB played last week and Wilson was the one and only injury. So if that's your point, then you are telling us the odds are in our favor.

There is a difference between being in running/conditioning shape, and being in hitting shape.

Also, how dare you compare our big, beefy boy with soft, little Wilson. Josh isnt getting a no-contact bone bruise. He DELIVERS the bone bruises.

So we should run Josh Allen on 2 QB draws next preseason game so he gets hit a few times?

depends on who the starters are. JA perhaps for a quarter or half max.  OJ Howard battling to start perhaps over Morris, yeah, play him more.  Would like to see some of the rookies who might start play more.   All pro starters (JA/Diggs, both safeties, Oliver and Miller) , quarter to half max.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.