Who do you consider to be the most overrated player(s) at their position in NFL history?

Big Turk

On 7/21/2022 at 6:02 AM, Big Turk said:

You are missing the context of why tho which is important.  He also played baseball full time for the Royals so that meant he wasn't available to play football for the first 5 or 6 weeks most years...

He split time with HOF RB Marcus Allen also, so it's not like they were just going to abandon him.  Bo averaged 5.4 YPC for his career and 73.2 YPg, which would equate to almost 1200 yards per season if extrapolated to a full 16 games.

Overrated?  Hardly.  Underused and only available 3/4 of the season?  Sure.  

One of the greatest runs I have ever seen came against Seattle on Monday night where he went 90+ for a TD and the Seahawk safety had the angle cut off on him like 30 yards up the field and he just blew by him like he was standing still and he never even got close to making the tackle. Dude might have been the fastest player on a football field of all time.

Exactly! Anyone quoting the stats on his football cards and using that as an argument isn't looking at the entire picture at all. Speaking of being the fastest on the field, Bo's 40-yard at the combine even has legend around it. Some claim he ran 3.9, one scout actually said he timed him at 4.12 seconds. 

If piss poor medicine didn't ruin his career, he may have been the one to beat Walter Payton's career numbers. 

and YES, Bo was 10x the RB Emmitt Smith was. Emmitt had two things going for him, the O-line and longevity. He played for 15 years, which we all know is ultra-rare at RB. That was his specialty, not speed, not elusiveness, not power. Bo was a powerback with insane speed especially with his size. Put him in Dallas all those years as a feature back. That would of been wild.

Edited by Herc11

18 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

Exactly! Anyone quoting the stats on his football cards and using that as an argument isn't looking at the entire picture at all. Speaking of being the fastest on the field, Bo's 40-yard at the combine even has legend around it. Some claim he ran 3.9, one scout actually said he timed him at 4.12 seconds. 

If piss poor medicine didn't ruin his career, he may have been the one to beat Walter Payton's career numbers. 

and YES, Bo was 10x the RB Emmitt Smith was. Emmitt had two things going for him, the O-line and longevity. He played for 15 years, which we all know is ultra-rare at RB. That was his specialty, not speed, not elusiveness, not power. Bo was a powerback with insane speed especially with his size. Put him in Dallas all those years as a feature back. That would of been wild.

Bo was one of the greatest pure athletes to ever play the game, an absolute freak… but if I needed a RB, I would take Emmett over him, absolutely no doubt about it.

4 hours ago, Herc11 said:

I still watch that run against Seattle on Monday night that he runs up the tunnel and can't believe how he blew by the safety that had the angle on him and a 30 yard head start. One of the most amazing things I have ever seen on a football field in terms of disbelief that I just saw that.

4 hours ago, wppete said:

Ray Lewis….. A loud mouth. 

You can't be serious. 

10 hours ago, Herc11 said:

And how would he have done this exactly when he split his time with baseball?  Play for 30 years? This is exactly my point...Everything with Bo is "if's" and "buts."  He never reached his full potential in baseball and football because he split time for each.  IMO, he was more interested in selling his brand as a dual sport athlete.  It worked, but can't consider him an all time great in either sport.

Edited by BIGFOOTspaceman
spelling

On 7/23/2022 at 10:24 AM, Chicken Boo said:

For me, Drew Brees.

Not that he's terrible or anything, but his stats don't match his standing amongst the all time greats.  

He's hovering around 10 for me and I'm not including Unitas, Staubach, etc because I never saw them play.  

I saw Unitas and Staubach play and Brees was better.  Brees' accuracy and ability to throw receivers open was uncanny.  In my mind, he's top five all time.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/21/2022 at 5:59 PM, Rigby said:

Not sure how controversial, but I will also put forth Lynn Swann.

I agree.  He was a talented receiver.  But was he better than, say Eric Moulds, who will never sniff the HOF?  I personally don't think so.

The thing about Swann is that if you were a football fan in the late 70s/early 80s you heard his name a lot.  Back then, you couldn't buy Sunday Ticket and watch whatever games you wanted.  Instead you watched what the networks put on TV and it was a Steeler-heavy diet.  So again and again and again you'd hear the announcers extol Swann's talent and grace - the announcers all loved him.  And all us fans at home were brainwashed into thinking Swann was the greatest, most acrobatic receiver since Don Hutson.  

Of course, 4 SB rings and one SB MVP helped Swann's cause.   He was an important piece on a great team and that gets him a bust.      

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I still watch that run against Seattle on Monday night that he runs up the tunnel and can't believe how he blew by the safety that had the angle on him and a 30 yard head start. One of the most amazing things I have ever seen on a football field in terms of disbelief that I just saw that.

You can't be serious. 

he was a loud mouth. 

13 hours ago, Reks Ryan said:

I hate Tom Brady.   He's an annoying pompous SOB. Hope he takes a big hit week 1 and never plays again.   

I would have no remorse if he was injured and could never play again. 

13 hours ago, Reks Ryan said:

I was going to respond to this joking that Jerry Rice never had more than 1,000 yards when not playing with Joe Montana or Steve Young.  But then I checked his stats and see that he had a 1,200 yard receiving year at age 40 playing with Rich Gannon.   Man, Jerry Rice was awesome, the opposite of overrated.   All time #1 NFL player at any positon since I have been watching football

Anyway to the point about Bryce Paup.  He did take advantage of playing with all time greats, but he still had to execute.  His 1995 season with 17.5 sacks was pretty awesome. 

It’s all wild. Rice’s 2002 season was playing beside Tim Brown who was coming off of 9 consecutive 1000 yard seasons. Reggie White played with both Clyde Simmons and Paup who each topped out with 19 and 17.5 sacks in a season (respectively). Very hard to figure out who’s actually overrated, but the discussion is entertaining. 

19 hours ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Your just jumping on the band wagon of the hate on this opinion....I'm not that young....I watched him play.  You can hate the opinion but I'll say it again, you have absolute knuckleheads in here saying Tom Brady and Emmitt Smith are overrated....players in the league for a decade plus.  Broke records, won Superbowls and MVPs.  Bo played for 4 years, never a full season yet what is essentially being said, is that Bo was better than Emmitt Smith, Thurman Thomas, Curtis Martin......Thats insane.  I get it, I'm not well liked here so people like to pile on.  Not that I care.  I don't get caught up in an emotional tizzy with how anonymous posters on TBD feel about me. 

But just so we are clear;

Emmitt Smith = overrated

Bo Jackson = One of the best RB's to play the game of Football 

I'd take him over Edmunds

Over Epenesa for sure. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.