Who do you consider to be the most overrated player(s) at their position in NFL history?

Big Turk

17 hours ago, Rico said:

Walter Payton. Granted, the Bears were boring af until 1985, so I didn’t pay them much mind.

Rico your fishing aren't you? Walter Payton was amazing and literally carried very bad Chicago Bears teams. I do agree Ruben Brown was overated and made alot of pro bowls he shouldn't have 🙂

Edited by billrooter

19 hours ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

He wasn't that good of a baseball player either

Can't believe the Bo Jackson mention is getting so much push back when there are knuckle heads in here suggesting that Tom Brady and Emmitt Smith are over rated.

Bo Jackson is one of the best running backs I have ever seen play, looking at some of his stats (amazing ypc) don't suggest that but for his very short and limited career he was a stud!

• Vomit 1

17 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm just not a huge Emmit fan.  I watched him play and never thought he was nearly as talented as Gale Sayers, OJ, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders or some of the other elite backs of my lifetime.

Yes, he was good.  He also benefited from a good supporting cast.  That, and his longevity, made him the top rusher of all time.  

There were quite a few running backs that I believed were better than Emmit, but where he trumped everybody is was durability and toughness. He racked up alot of carries in college before he even got in the nfl, wish I could have seen Thurman just 1 year behind an OL the caliber of Dallas' though.

18 hours ago, Rico said:

Walter Payton. Granted, the Bears were boring af until 1985, so I didn’t pay them much mind.

Walter Payton has the highest RB Pro Football Reference Hall of Fame Monitor score in NFL history, almost 40 points higher than Jim Brown. While not the be all end all, it does a good job comparing RBs to each other through various eras.

If anything this would make him underrated.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/21/2022 at 1:35 PM, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

First name that came to mind was Zach Thomas MLB of the Dolphins.  He made a lot of plays but to me most seemed like they were 4-5 yds down field.  Made Pro Bowl for the amount of tackles but was never a game changer IMO

Excellent thought here. Never thought Zach Thomas was that great. Never understood all the props he got.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/21/2022 at 2:54 AM, Doc Brown said:

William "The Fridge" Perry.  Cool nickname.  Iconic Super Bowl run on an iconic team.  Never made a pro bowl.  Only 27.5 sacks in 10 seasons.  Joe Namath, Terry Bradshaw, and Troy Aikman if we're going QB's.

Joe Namath is a good one. I was too young to pay attention to the SB victory, but I did catch a lot of him in the early 70s. When he was on, he could make some remarkable throws. But even accounting for his era and the huge differences between then and now in the passing game, he had a pretty mediocre career overall. Joe Ferguson retired with a better passer rating, and their careers overlapped significantly.

On 7/21/2022 at 2:41 PM, Coastie said:

Ken Anderson is the proof of what you say. Their careers overlapped so no concerns about eras, Anderson completed 59% of his passes for 197 touchdowns and 160 interceptions and he is not in.

And the man could also run! He was a GREAT QB.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/21/2022 at 2:55 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Emmit Smith isn’t the first or last running back to run behind a amazing line 

Having an amazing Line doesn’t Make you the four time rushing leader, Or two time yards from scrimmage leader, or 3 time TD cha

Yeah an amazing line can get you started but you need real talent to finish it… The hogs of the Redskins had an amazing line for a long time too… They didn’t have anybody lead the league in rushing or touchdowns or average… let alone 4 times

Yes but that Dallas OL was just (imo) the  best ever. The entire line was great but Erik Williams was the best RT in the history of the NFL. Often Smith would run 6 or 7 yards before he was touched but as you say, he did have the talent to finish those runs. Now, do I think that Smith would have put up HOF numbers on a team with an average OL? No. In fact, he would have been murdered on most Bills teams.

Wrt the Redskins, Riggins was GREAT while running behind them. When he got to the Redskins, he was no longer the speedster that he was in college, or even on the Jets but he was as strong as an ox. Still, he did need the great OL to give him that head of steam.

Btw, Larry Czonka wasn't so great when he left Miami and no longer ran behing Larry Little and Bob Kuchenberg, 2 GREAT guards. 

The OL was responsible for many HOF RBs but as others have said, Sanders pretty much did it on his own.

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/21/2022 at 1:10 AM, Big Turk said:

For me, the one I always come back to is Eddie George at RB.

Everyone remembers him as some great back, but the truth is he was mostly garbage, averaging 3.6 YPC over his career and only averaging over 4 YPC twice, which were both barely over at 4.1.

His last 4 years in the NFL were 3.0, 3.4, 3.3 and 3.3 YPC. And it's not like he has his carries lowered. He was well over 300 each of those first 3 seasons, with 132 his last year in the league. He just didn't have it anymore at that point, and went from slightly below average player to should not be in the NFL player.

Those are replacement level numbers.

Yeah he put up yards most seasons but only because he was given huge numbers of carries every year. I mean if you get 315 carries and end up at under 1000 yards, that's really tough to do.

Speaking of George's, what about Jeff??  To me he was hyped more than Eddie George.

2 hours ago, without a drought said:

Brian Moorman.

He was only over hyped in Buffalo because he was one of the best players on the team. That says a lot about how putrid some of those teams were.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/21/2022 at 7:41 AM, BuffaloRebound said:

For the Bills… McGahee and Watkins.  These guys were supposed to be transcendent talents,  Even before the knee injury, I think McGahee’s speed was mostly hype.  And Watkins wasn’t particularly big and couldn’t go up and get the ball in the air.  

The only people who overrated these 2 are the 2 dumb GMs who drafted them.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.