Who do you consider to be the most overrated player(s) at their position in NFL history?

Big Turk

22 minutes ago, Rigby said:

Terry Bradshaw

Ken Stabler

Joe Namath

Most of the Cowboys 'legends'

This. Take him off that Steelers team with the Steel Curtain carrying him to the Super Bowl every year. Put him on any run of the mill team from those years. Give him the same exact stats otherwise. He wouldn't make the Hall of Fame.

51% Career completion percentage. 212 TDs, 210 INTs. Yes, I realize it was a totally different era in terms of QB stats and expectations. Don't care. Bradshaw was lucky to be the quarterback/care taker on a team with a Hall of Fame defense and head coach.

Totally overrated, and a total blowhard to boot.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

If by "next to nothing" you mean Bo Jackson was practically unstoppable when carrying the ball.  

He wasn't that good of a baseball player either

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

You are missing the context of why tho which is important.  He also played baseball full time for the Royals so that meant he wasn't available to play football for the first 5 or 6 weeks most years...

He split time with HOF RB Marcus Allen also, so it's not like they were just going to abandon him.  Bo averaged 5.4 YPC for his career and 73.2 YPg, which would equate to almost 1200 yards per season if extrapolated to a full 16 games.

Overrated?  Hardly.  Underused and only available 3/4 of the season?  Sure.  

One of the greatest runs I have ever seen came against Seattle on Monday night where he went 90+ for a TD and the Seahawk safety had the angle cut off on him like 30 yards up the field and he just blew by him like he was standing still and he never even got close to making the tackle. Dude might have been the fastest player on a football field of all time.

Can't believe the Bo Jackson mention is getting so much push back when there are knuckle heads in here suggesting that Tom Brady and Emmitt Smith are over rated.

4 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

You also never saw him unnecessarily lose an inch of yardage by taking ill-advised chances. That’s what made him special. 

I agree that he plodded forward most of the time. I don’t think that made Emmett “special.” He was good and running downhill and through open holes. He was just a solid back, in my book. Not special in any way. 

Re those 90s backs, I would take Sanders, Thurman, Allen, Faulk, T Davis, and Bettis all over Emmitt. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Who was the greatest prospect in the history of the world, had a traditionally solid team go on a one year tank to take him, had that same team trade away their greatest ever player to pave way for him, got inserted into a division who had a five year run of unmatched ineptitude and still managed to produce average results, playing in just one AFCCG and getting smoked in it, winning his terrible division a few times and choking it away at other times?  Oh, and then he retired early.

Andrew Luck

his twitter feed was epic, however.  

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No, so why the hell would anyone put him in a more traditional system? A Formula 1 car wouldn't be as good if it was used to do the weekly supermarket run either. 

So says you.  Its the only way I travel to the Supermarket.  I drive the mini-van to and from work though, jus to keep the miles down on my F1 car

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

Fine, Brady is better than Tyrod I'll give you that much

Now you are just being facetious because Tyrod isn't even worthy of ever being mentioned in the same anything with Brady.

1 hour ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Can't believe the Bo Jackson mention is getting so much push back when there are knuckle heads in here suggesting that Tom Brady and Emmitt Smith are over rated.

Because he wasn't overrated.  He just never played a full season. but when he did play he was amazing.

54 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I agree that he plodded forward most of the time. I don’t think that made Emmett “special.” He was good and running downhill and through open holes. He was just a solid back, in my book. Not special in any way. 

Re those 90s backs, I would take Sanders, Thurman, Allen, Faulk, T Davis, and Bettis all over Emmitt. 

Sanders is definitely the best in that era, but I don't know that i take any of the rest of those guys over prime Emmitt.  

1 hour ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

My fault, I didn't realize you were just a troll. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

William "The Fridge" Perry.  Cool nickname.  Iconic Super Bowl run on an iconic team.  Never made a pro bowl.  Only 27.5 sacks in 10 seasons.  Joe Namath, Terry Bradshaw, and Troy Aikman if we're going QB's.

You ever see Namath play? 

he absolutely threw one of the best footballs off all time … threw for 4000 yards in 1967 

It literally took the bills like 50 years before we had somebody throw for 4000 yards

58 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Curtis Martin for me.  The same for Emmett as they lasted a long time.

I would’ve taken the Thurmonator over Emmett any day of the week.

They we’re good, not game changing.

59 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Curtis Martin for me.  The same for Emmett as they lasted a long time.

I would’ve taken the Thurmonator over Emmett any day of the week.

They we’re good, not game changing.

Emmit Smith led the league in rushing four times… Yards per game three times

TDs 3 times , average once… yards from scrimmage twice 

No matter what way you put it those are absolutely Hall of Fame numbers.. He doesn’t have to be your favorite but he absolutely dominated

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Bettis never Led the league in rushing ,touchdowns or average… Or yards from scrimmage… 3.9 career 

Smith led the league in rushing four times, Three times touchdown leader, Average leader, Two-time yards from scrimmage leader

Even behind a great line those are asinine numbers.. Do I think Thurman was a better all around back? Yes 

But emmit has first ballad HoF numbers too … he was far more than really good

Edited by Buffalo716

27 minutes ago, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

First name that came to mind was Zach Thomas MLB of the Dolphins.  He made a lot of plays but to me most seemed like they were 4-5 yds down field.  Made Pro Bowl for the amount of tackles but was never a game changer IMO

He was my first choice as well. I'll never understand how he made so many Pro Bowls.

Other overrated players:

RB: Ricky Watters, Roger Craig & Jerome Bettis

WR: Michael Irvin & Chad Johnson

DL: Warren Sapp & John Randle

DE: Jason Taylor & Kevin Greene

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You ever see Namath play? 

he absolutely threw one of the best footballs off all time … threw for 4000 yards in 1967 

It literally took the bills like 50 years before we had somebody throw for 4000 yards

Emmit Smith led the league in rushing four times… Yards per game three times

TDs 3 times , average once… yards from scrimmage twice 

No matter what way you put it those are absolutely Hall of Fame numbers.. He doesn’t have to be your favorite but he absolutely dominated

I agree on Emmitt Smith.  He might be a little overrated as a function of his career numbers and maybe he's not the best RB in league history,  but on any other competent team that emphasized the inside power running game,  I think he's still a likely HOF RB.  Maybe he wasn't super fast, but he had no shortage of long runs in his career. He had good short area quickness and his contact balance and strength to break tackles were very much elite.  They didn't use him as much as a receiver,  but he was pretty good in that role as well,  and was the best RB in pass protection I've ever seen.  He did benefit from their OL,  but I'm not going to fault him for success in favorable circumstances  and I'm not sure there was anyone better suited to the type of offense they ran. 

I'd also have to defend Aikman as well.  Yeah, the stat line kinda sucks,  but when they needed a play,  he consistently made them.  He gets labeled as a game manager,  which has some truth to it,  but he could throw downfield as well as anyone in the league when they asked him to.  Best QB in NFL history?  No,  but again,  put him in a competent situation and I think he's probably still a HOFer and,  in fact,  probably puts up better numbers on most of the playoff teams of the era than he did in Dallas due to their heavy emphasis on Smith and the run in the red zone.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.