Impact of Dobbs and Abortion Laws

Some were already mothers, excited about having another baby. Others were upset or frightened to find themselves pregnant. All tested positive for drugs. And when these women lost their pregnancies, each ended up in jail.

More than 50 women have been prosecuted for child neglect or manslaughter in the United States since 1999 because they tested positive for drug use after a miscarriage or stillbirth, according to an investigation by the Marshall Project, the Frontier and AL.com that was co-edited and published in partnership with The Washington Post.

The medical community calls this legal approach harmful and counterproductive. But it’s a strategy many legal experts say is likely to become more common now that Roe v. Wade has been overturned, making it easier for states to pass laws that give fetuses and embryos the same rights as children or mothers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/09/01/prosecutions-drugs-miscarriages-meth-stillbirths/

On 9/1/2022 at 2:08 PM, ArdmoreRyno said:

Weird, because the GOP is predicted (by every news outlet) to win both the House and Senate. State gov. are projected to be around 50-50. 

I feel like you missed some stuff.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-election-forecast/senate/

538 now had the Dems as a 69 out of 100 chance of winning the Senate.

Mitch came out and acknowledge they probably won’t win the Senate:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2022-election/mcconnell-says-republicans-may-not-win-senate-control-citing-candidate-rcna43777

Politico has Senate as a toss up and House only as likely Republican:

https://www.politico.com/2022-election/race-forecasts-ratings-and-predictions/

PredictIt has Rep House and Dem Senate as a pretty big favorite: https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7172/What-will-be-the-balance-of-power-in-Congress-after-the-2022-election

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

I feel like you missed some stuff.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-election-forecast/senate/

538 now had the Dems as a 69 out of 100 chance of winning the Senate.

Mitch came out and acknowledge they probably won’t win the Senate:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2022-election/mcconnell-says-republicans-may-not-win-senate-control-citing-candidate-rcna43777

PredictIt has Rep House and Dem Senate as a pretty big favorite: https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7172/What-will-be-the-balance-of-power-in-Congress-after-the-2022-election

I didn't miss anything. Last Thursday when I posted my reply, the numbers were as what I said. Those will change, like they did. 

Some people forget, over 1,000,000 democrats switched parties the past year due to the handling of covid by blue states. That is still something people haven't forgot... businesses closing down due to moronic policies by states like California. 

10 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I didn't miss anything. Last Thursday when I posted my reply, the numbers were as what I said. Those will change, like they did. 

Some people forget, over 1,000,000 democrats switched parties the past year due to the handling of covid by blue states. That is still something people haven't forgot... businesses closing down due to moronic policies by states like California. 

Just wait until gas prices start rising again in October.  Along with everything else.

53 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

The numbers were not that a week ago. Mitch came out in mid- August and conceded the Senate is probably lost. 538 had the swing for Dems in the Senate around mid-July.

You point out the 1,000,000 person switch. That was pre-Dobbs and neglects the crazy upsurge in women registering to vote (we’ve seen this have an impact on Kansas where women voter registration increased 70 percent and then soundly defeated a referendum on abortion). It also neglects the 630,000 Republicans who switch to Dems in the same period.

If you honestly thought as of last Thursday the Republicans were definitely or had a very good chance of winning the senate you’re either out of touch with the news or have reading comprehension issues.

As a recent test, we saw the Republicans lose a special election in Alaska where they held the seat since 1982!!!

Edited by Backintheday544
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

The numbers were not that a week ago. Mitch came out in mid- August and conceded the Senate is probably lost. 538 had the swing for Dems in the Senate around mid-July.

You point out the 1,000,000 person switch. That was pre-Dobbs and neglects the crazy upsurge in women registering to vote (we’ve seen this have an impact on Kansas where women voter registration increased 70 percent and then soundly defeated a referendum on abortion). It also neglects the 630,000 Republicans who switch to Dems in the same period.

If you honestly thought as of last Thursday the Republicans were definitely or had a very good chance of winning the senate you’re either out of touch with the news or have reading comprehension issues.

As a recent test, we saw the Republicans lose a special election in Alaska where they held the seat since 1982!!!

Dude, chill out. I never said anything about "pre" or "post" Dobbs. You are assuming abortion is the NUMBER ONE ISSUE in the election coming up. It's not. 

And my post last week was 100% what I said in my reply before. Those were the projections posted by Politico. Not me. They project a 226-209 seat advantage in the House. When I posted that, it had a slight edge to the GOP in the Senate. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Dude, chill out. I never said anything about "pre" or "post" Dobbs. You are assuming abortion is the NUMBER ONE ISSUE in the election coming up. It's not. 

And my post last week was 100% what I said in my reply before. Those were the projections posted by Politico. Not me. They project a 226-209 seat advantage in the House. When I posted that, it had a slight edge to the GOP in the Senate. 

I wonder how it all will go if the House is split by the narrowest majority, like one or two votes. Boy would that give power to a few people who could hold up everything if they don't get their way 

8 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Abortion isn't the NUMBER ONE ISSUE but what is driving record number of women to register to vote?

Gee, I wonder.

Please tell us - what IS the NUMBER ONE ISSUE?

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I wonder how it all will go if the House is split by the narrowest majority, like one or two votes. Boy would that give power to a few people who could hold up everything if they don't get their way 

The whole thing is interesting to see play out. You have the people fed up with how the current administration is handling things (and have been) then you have the abortion side of things. We will find out soon enough which was more of a pressing issue. 

It's interesting to hear about the "soul of a nation" when more than a few people's #1 issue is being able to end a life in utero mid-way through the 2nd trimester up to and right after birth.  Which, as I said and my Dem colleague realizes and told me yesterday, it's primarily about life, not restricting a woman's rights.  But Dems have to spin it that way.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Abortion isn't the NUMBER ONE ISSUE but what is driving record number of women to register to vote?

Gee, I wonder.

Please tell us - what IS the NUMBER ONE ISSUE?

Did I say women? I said "number one issue" as in OVERALL to voters.

Or are you going to do what you do best... assume things. 

The number one issue to voters is the economy. It normally is the number on issue in every election going back for a decade where terrorism and homeland secruity topped it all after 9/11. Gas prices, inflation, or other economic issues... those are THE biggest thing people worry about. In fact, here are the numbers via Quinnipiac:

34% economy

12% gun violence

Nothing else is in double digits in regards to what voters care about. Breaking it down by party:

GOP

48% economy

16% immigration

Dems
22% gun violence

14% abortion

12% election laws

11% climate change

Ind.

41% inflation 

(nothing else was in double digits)

6 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Did I say women? I said "number one issue" as in OVERALL to voters.

Or are you going to do what you do best... assume things. 

The number one issue to voters is the economy. It normally is the number on issue in every election going back for a decade where terrorism and homeland secruity topped it all after 9/11. Gas prices, inflation, or other economic issues... those are THE biggest thing people worry about. In fact, here are the numbers via Quinnipiac:

34% economy

12% gun violence

Nothing else is in double digits in regards to what voters care about. Breaking it down by party:

GOP

48% economy

16% immigration

Dems
22% gun violence

14% abortion

12% election laws

11% climate change

Ind.

41% inflation 

(nothing else was in double digits)

Why are women coming out in droves to register to vote?

25 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Why are women coming out in droves to register to vote?

I never said anything about abortion or women. I talked about what the main issues are to American voters right now and where the projections in Congress are looking.

1 hour ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Great, I’m glad we clarified your issue is easing comprehension. “Weird, because the GOP is predicted (by every news outlet) to win both the House and Senate. State gov. are projected to be around 50-50.”Politico isn’t every news outlet.

I am not assuming abortion is the number 1 issue for the election. However, I will assume that the trove of women registering to vote post Dobbs, it is the #1 issue. We’ve seen these increase women voters already contribute to disallowing an abortion referendum in red Kansas by a vote of 55-45.

In addition, while abortion may not be an issue for Republicans, there are two issues you overlook. 1) abortion is a major issue for Dems and it’s something that has already been shown to drive out the vote and increase voter registration. 2) for some Republicans abortion has been a get out to vote issue. With Dobbs, those Republicans would be less likely to vote.

5 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

Great, I’m glad we clarified your issue is easing comprehension. “Weird, because the GOP is predicted (by every news outlet) to win both the House and Senate. State gov. are projected to be around 50-50.”Politico isn’t every news outlet.

I am not assuming abortion is the number 1 issue for the election. However, I will assume that the trove of women registering to vote post Dobbs, it is the #1 issue. We’ve seen these increase women voters already contribute to disallowing an abortion referendum in red Kansas by a vote of 55-45.

In addition, while abortion may not be an issue for Republicans, there are two issues you overlook. 1) abortion is a major issue for Dems and it’s something that has already been shown to drive out the vote and increase voter registration. 2) for some Republicans abortion has been a get out to vote issue. With Dobbs, those Republicans would be less likely to vote.

Less likely to vote... what?

Yes, abortion is a major issue to the democrats... it's 14% of their concerns I think I posted the stat that was released? Data by VOX (a very leftist media source) said that before the Dobbs ruling, there were 450,000 voters "new young voters" almost split 50-50 (around 100,000 each) when it came to parties (ind. were the vast majority of regsitered voters) and post, the number at the time of the data was 52,000 new voters, around 10,000 GOP and 20,000 DNC (again, most were ind.). 

On 9/6/2022 at 6:13 PM, Backintheday544 said:

I guess I’m more sanguine than most other leftists regarding the Democrats’ chances of holding the House. I think the polls may be significantly undersampling Gen Z voters in a midterm election. Since this midterm is markedly different from others due to the Dobbs ruling, performance expectation benchmarks of a 220-215 Democratic House and a 52-48 Democratic Senate seem perfectly reasonable to me.

An equally important focus, of course, must be on maintaining political pressure on the Democrats beyond the election. I hope my fellow Gen Z’ers understand this?! We need a federal codification of Roe v. Wade that protects the following:

1. All abortions during the non-viable embryonic/fetal development stage.

2. Medical waivers (general physical health of mother, miscarriage dilation/curettage or dilation/evacuation services, ectopic pregnancies, fetal abnormalities, any cryptic pregnancies and irregular pregnancies related to irregular periods and amenorrhea, etc.).

3. Psychological waivers (rape, i n c e s t, mental health of mother, etc.).

4. Logistics waivers for those stuck on abortion waitlists.

5. Full contraceptive access services.

6. Decriminalization of abortion for all fifty states (i.e. no murder charges allowed for mother or doctor).

7. No legal restrictions on interstate travel to seek abortions.

AND IF the Supreme Court shoots down a Women’s Health Protection Act like this one (which would essentially be a violation of the Ninth Amendment and the due process clause in each of the Fifth and Fourteenth), then Gen Z needs to be ready to take to the streets and pressure our politicians for court packing.

EDIT: Silly censored "i n c e st" word.

Edited by ComradeKayAdams
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

I guess I’m more sanguine than most other leftists regarding the Democrats’ chances of holding the House. I think the polls may be significantly undersampling Gen Z voters in a midterm election. Since this midterm is markedly different from others due to the Dobbs ruling, performance expectation benchmarks of a 220-215 Democratic House and a 52-48 Democratic Senate seem perfectly reasonable to me.

An equally important focus, of course, must be on maintaining political pressure on the Democrats beyond the election. I hope my fellow Gen Z’ers understand this?! We need a federal codification of Roe v. Wade that protects the following:

1. All abortions during the non-viable embryonic/fetal development stage.

2. Medical waivers (general physical health of mother, miscarriage dilation/curettage or dilation/evacuation services, ectopic pregnancies, fetal abnormalities, any cryptic pregnancies and irregular pregnancies related to irregular periods and amenorrhea, etc.).

3. Psychological waivers (rape, i n c e s t, mental health of mother, etc.).

4. Logistics waivers for those stuck on abortion waitlists.

5. Full contraceptive access services.

6. Decriminalization of abortion for all fifty states (i.e. no murder charges allowed for mother or doctor).

7. No legal restrictions on interstate travel to seek abortions.

AND IF the Supreme Court shoots down a Women’s Health Protection Act like this one (which would essentially be a violation of the Ninth Amendment and the due process clause in each of the Fifth and Fourteenth), then Gen Z needs to be ready to take to the streets and pressure our politicians for court packing.

EDIT: Silly censored "i n c e st" word.

No chance at the House and probably going to lose the Senate as well.  When gas and oil prices hit $8 a gallon right before the election, it's over.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

No chance at the House and probably going to lose the Senate as well.  When gas and oil prices hit $8 a gallon right before the election, it's over.

Lol. Highest gas has been in today dollars has been like $5.50 under Bush. There’s a better chance of Dems gaining seats in the house than $8 gas this year.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

Lol. Highest gas has been in today dollars has been like $5.50 under Bush. There’s a better chance of Dems gaining seats in the house than $8 gas this year.

We'll all be wishing for $5.50 a gallon.  I'm having my home heating oil topped-up tomorrow at $4.05/gallon. 

On 9/10/2022 at 9:52 AM, Doc said:

It's just dumb to not allow an abortion at least for a pregnancy that is a threat to the mother. 

im no longer shocked at the ways republicans figure out how to lose voters. from trump telling voters to either vote in person or not at all. great idea, idiot. to the insane policy they are pushing for the ultra religious sector of voters instead of the MILLIONS of disenfranchised dems and independants that would love a end to the extremist policy that is getting pushed. all R's have to do is stay moderate, thats it. remind them of all the ways the left destroyed this country and its a clean sweep. blm riots, defunding police, destructive covid mandates, inflation, mess at the boarder, soldiers they let die in afganistan, how dems support teachers over parents. DAs that are destroying law and order. gas and energy. there are literally too many reasons.

republicans: things are to much in our favor. lets remind everyone how extreme we can get on our side. lets arrest people trying to get a abortion! not extreme enough sir. oh ok well how about a ban on contraceptives! poll numbers are dropping sir, your a genius!

democrats drenched in sweat knowing jan 6 is not working. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! did you here that birthing people? they hate you!!!!!!

Edited by Buffarukus
  • Agree 1