Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

Nice win last night! I thought for a minute they were going to blow it when they allowed those 3 unanswered goals in the 2nd I was like “here we go…”. But then they answered back and took over again in the 3rd.

Now keep it going! Like I keep saying, I’ll be happy if they can just stay in the playoff hunt down the stretch and not collapse under the pressure. That would feel like a successful season and step forward to me.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Nice win last night! I thought for a minute they were going to blow it when they allowed those 3 unanswered goals in the 2nd I was like “here we go…”. But then they answered back and took over again in the 3rd.

Now keep it going! Like I keep saying, I’ll be happy if they can just stay in the playoff hunt down the stretch and not collapse under the pressure. That would feel like a successful season and step forward to me.

The quick response by Krebs and Quinn was huge.  It is still highly concerning how the last 3 games a strong performance has managed to spiral out of control in a matter of 2 or 3 minutes of game play.  Credit to the Sabres for getting back in control of that game and not allowing another goal but you can't let the Ducks and other bottom feeders explode like that.  I dont like our playoff chances if the winning recipe requires 6 goals a night.

• Like (+1) 2

That was a good, and needed win!. However, I'm done with the Comrie experiment. That 3rd goal was just brutal. He was face down on the ice, and either lost the puck, or thought he had it trapped. Not a big deal, that stuff happens all the time. The problem was, he laid there with his left leg bent. If he had his leg extended, that puck doesn't go in. At the very least, the shooter would've needed to lift it which doesn't always work.  

The 2nd goal was not on Comrie, but it was lame defense. A Duck player screening Comrie with Lyubushkin standing in front of him. Made no effort to move or disrupt the player and essentially added to the screen. 

The defense plays way to loosey-goosey at times. The only way the Sabres are making the playoffs is if they tighten up the D and ride Ukko Pekka Luukkonen until his legs fall off. 

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Devon Levi is not going to play in Buffalo for a while. 

I can see him getting games this year based on where the Sabres are positioned. He and his agent could demand at least one game to burn a year of the ELC, or if the Sabres are really out of contention 10 games based on this.

A player doesn’t accrue a completed season for the purposes of free agency, salary arbitration eligibility or expansion protection until he has played 10 games in a season, but for the purpose of burning a year of the ELC, one game is all it takes.

But these ELC rules make my head hurt. Devon is already age 21, which i guess affects how long the ELC is in place and can it slide if not in the NHL. I am not sure if a year gets burned of the ELC next year if he is the AHL because of that...like i said, damn rules make my head hurt.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Devon Levi is not going to play in Buffalo for a while. 

Disagree I think Devon Levi is going to play a lot sooner than Buffalo Sabres fans realize. Don Edwards and Bob Sauve were Devon Levi age playing in the NHL as starters. The Buffalo Sabres have major goaltending problems that is most likely costing the Buffalo Sabres a playoff spot this season unfortunately. Craig Anderson is retiring most likely. UPL and Comrie aren’t the answer in the Buffalo Sabres net. I expect Devon Levi is the opening night starter for the Buffalo Sabres in 2023-24 if Devon Levi decides to turn professional. Devon Levi isn’t riding the bus to no where in Rochester. If the Buffalo Sabres don’t have a roster spot guaranteed in Buffalo next season he isn’t coming out it will be back to Northeastern Huskies until he can walk as a free agent. Bob Sauve was on the Buffalo Sabres roster before Don Edwards by a year because Bob Sauve wasn’t going to sign with Buffalo Sabres unless given a roster spot because of the WHA at the time where he was a high draft pick I believe. Nobody super talented hockey player wise is riding a bus in Rochester it is ridiculous that so many Sabres fans think that is even a possibility.

Owen Power got a Buffalo Sabres roster spot guaranteed same with Devon Levi that is better and more important position than Owen Power. Buffalo Sabres fans don’t get the Sabres aren’t in the drivers seat few free agents want to come to Buffalo in a 32 team NHL today. The Buffalo Sabres are between 25 to 32 NHL teams you would like to play for. For Buffalo it is NHL what we offer a major league pay check. Devon Levi isn’t leaving Boston for Rochester riding a bus on minor league money and food money the thought is ridiculous. We need to be realistic Devon Levi on the 2023-24 Buffalo Sabres roster or no Devon Levi ever. If the Buffalo Sabres don’t sign Devon Levi this spring it isn’t happening he will go back to school and sign elsewhere NHL team wise if we don’t sign him this spring in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

20 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Disagree I think Devon Levi is going to play a lot sooner than Buffalo Sabres fans realize. Don Edwards and Bob Sauve were Devon Levi age playing in the NHL as starters. The Buffalo Sabres have major goaltending problems that is most likely costing the Buffalo Sabres a playoff spot this season unfortunately. Craig Anderson is retiring most likely. UPL and Comrie aren’t the answer in the Buffalo Sabres net. I expect Devon Levi is the opening night starter for the Buffalo Sabres in 2023-24 if Devon Levi decides to turn professional. Devon Levi isn’t riding the bus to no where in Rochester. If the Buffalo Sabres don’t have a roster spot guaranteed in Buffalo next season he isn’t coming out it will be back to Northeastern Huskies until he can walk as a free agent. Bob Sauve was on the Buffalo Sabres roster before Don Edwards by a year because Bob Sauve wasn’t going to sign with Buffalo Sabres unless given a roster spot because of the WHA at the time where he was a high draft pick I believe. Nobody super talented hockey player wise is riding a bus in Rochester it is ridiculous that so many Sabres fans think that is even a possibility.

Owen Power got a Buffalo Sabres roster spot guaranteed same with Devon Levi that is better and more important position than Owen Power. Buffalo Sabres fans don’t get the Sabres aren’t in the drivers seat few free agents want to come to Buffalo in a 32 team NHL today. The Buffalo Sabres are between 25 to 32 NHL teams you would like to play for. For Buffalo it is NHL what we offer a major league pay check. Devon Levi isn’t leaving Boston for Rochester riding a bus on minor league money and food money the thought is ridiculous. We need to be realistic Devon Levi on the 2023-24 Buffalo Sabres roster or no Devon Levi ever. If the Buffalo Sabres don’t sign Devon Levi this spring it isn’t happening he will go back to school and sign elsewhere NHL team wise if we don’t sign him this spring in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I admire your dedication in using the full name for all players every, single time.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

I can see him getting games this year based on where the Sabres are positioned. He and his agent could demand at least one game to burn a year of the ELC, or if the Sabres are really out of contention 10 games based on this.

A player doesn’t accrue a completed season for the purposes of free agency, salary arbitration eligibility or expansion protection until he has played 10 games in a season, but for the purpose of burning a year of the ELC, one game is all it takes.

But these ELC rules make my head hurt. Devon is already age 21, which i guess affects how long the ELC is in place and can it slide if not in the NHL. I am not sure if a year gets burned of the ELC next year if he is the AHL because of that...like i said, damn rules make my head hurt.

This.  If the Sabres are out of the playoff hunt and he signs, he'll get a start I'd bet.

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

He can dress as a backup and it will count towards his ELC. After the trade deadline (Mar 3rd) there is no roster limit as long as they remain under the cap and they have tons of cap space so that's not an issue.

I agree with others that if they are in a playoff chase you won't see him. I know many are already done with Comrie, but I don't think Adams is.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But if they are in the race I can't see Levi getting a start.

Watching Caps-Panthers. CAps look tired. No OVIE obviously hurts them, but they look old and tired. Don’t think they will be a factor down the stretch. 

to me looks like Isles, Wings, Sens, Panthers, Sabres fighting for one spot. 

Tough race, 3 point games prolly gunna  decide it, which sucks. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Watching Caps-Panthers. CAps look tired. No OVIE obviously hurts them, but they look old and tired. Don’t think they will be a factor down the stretch. 

to me looks like Isles, Wings, Sens, Panthers, Sabres fighting for one spot. 

Tough race, 3 point games prolly gunna  decide it, which sucks. 

Pens are in that mix too. Two spots for 6 teams.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Pens are in that mix too. Two spots for 6 teams.

Yeah, it's probably not going to happen.  But it's still fun to watch games on the assumption that it will.

It definitely CAN, and after this many years of total garbage, this situation is a breath of fresh air!

At least we are a lot of fun to watch, and on good nights look like the 1985 Edmonton Oilers, at least in terms of wild, fun, defense-be-damned playing style....which ain't gonna win a Cup, but it's a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

Team needs to learn how to play much tighter, more responsible, structured defense.   But that will come in time.  They are all still babies.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I think the Pens have the # 1 WC just about locked up.  

Screenshot-20230217-084619.jpg

I can't see how Pittsburgh has locked up anything with 29 games to go. Yes, they have 4-5 games in hand on the Islanders and Panthers. But only lead Detroit by 3 points and the Sabres by 5.

Right now you have 6 teams within 5 points of each other, and 8 teams within 9. It's going to be quite a race for the 2 wild cards.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I agree I expect him to be in Rochester all next year and maybe even the following year too. 

If you think Devon Levi is eating minor league food and making minor league money then you don't know Devon Levi because Devon Levi isn't riding the bus in Rochester when Devon Levi could be eating Devon Levi brand caviar on a Devon Levi 777 surrounded by 10 beautiful Devon Levis catering to his every Devon Levi, DEVON LEVI!!!!!

• Haha (+1) 3

10 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Yeah, it's probably not going to happen.  But it's still fun to watch games on the assumption that it will.

It definitely CAN, and after this many years of total garbage, this situation is a breath of fresh air!

At least we are a lot of fun to watch, and on good nights look like the 1985 Edmonton Oilers, at least in terms of wild, fun, defense-be-damned playing style....which ain't gonna win a Cup, but it's a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

Team needs to learn how to play much tighter, more responsible, structured defense.   But that will come in time.  They are all still babies.

This is what brought me back. I dont live and die with the Sabres like I do the Bills. I just want fun hockey and if we win it's a bonus.

So much of the recent past has been boring, unwatchable, BAD hockey.

Now, even when we lose the games are still fun and high scoring. At least the guys are playing decent hockey, skating fast up the ice in transition, making passes, etc.

Cant wait to see these guys as older, grizzled veterans in a few years.

18 hours ago, Doc said:

This.  If the Sabres are out of the playoff hunt and he signs, he'll get a start I'd bet.

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But if they are in the race I can't see Levi getting a start.

14 hours ago, QCity said:

I agree with others that if they are in a playoff chase you won't see him. I know many are already done with Comrie, but I don't think Adams is.

This line of thinking kinda blows my mind. How much worse than Comrie can he really be? At this point I'd want to play him as our shot that might put us over the hump.

20 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

It doesn't matter whether or not he plays.  The team can (and will) agree to having the first year of the ELC burn.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.