Von Miller’s path to Bills in first foray into free agency: ‘Buffalo just chose me’

DrDawkinstein

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

I can't tell you how many times someone at work has given me their notice and when I talk them into staying, they still end up leaving in less than a month.

Why?

Because the reason they gave their notice in the first place was because they didn't really want to be there.

This article concerns the hell out of me.  My biggest takeaway is that Beane and Co., had to talk Miller into signing.  He clearly admits that Buffalo was not his first choice and that he was having serious second thoughts.

I hope this ends well.

I've experienced this as well and you're right, it usually does not end up well.  But I have experienced where it works out really well...  hoping that's what happens here

What I think as fans, we should appreciate is that  Von Miller is just a little bit of a different cat and is giving us way more insight compared to most big name players would provide in the decision making process in free agency.  It would be actually interesting to know if Von's experience isn't much different then many other big name free agents.. but like most athletes today, they are programmed to say what people want to hear vs. the truth.

Many of you may have read this article from back in 2016.. but we are not dealing with your average 'dude' here....

https://www.theringer.com/2016/7/26/16077616/von-miller-denver-broncos-best-and-weirdest-nfl-player-c12a434c9bc8

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

You don't get out much, or you are blind, to what Buffalo has to offer.

In any case, you are not at all familiar, with the City of Buffalo. 

For what purpose, were the 'weeks' that you spent there? Sounds like Bull¢h!tt, to me...

Not sure about his experience, but always was great the times I went. Honestly most ppl I've came across didn't have anything bad to say really. There were a few that were young and said it wasn't enough for them to do, but that's about it.

Anyways, I have always thought highly of Buffalo 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

You don't get out much, or you are blind, to what Buffalo has to offer.

In any case, you are not at all familiar, with the City of Buffalo. 

For what purpose, were the 'weeks' that you spent there? Sounds like Bull¢h!tt, to me...

I don't begrudge you for being proud of your city. I get it. But if the league started from scratch and picked locations to have NFL teams based on the quality and size of the city, Buffalo would have no chance. That's just the reality. The Falls are the only thing that make it a place any random person might want to visit.

I'm from one of the most economically depressed metros in the entire United States, and Buffalo feels just like it.

To answer your question though, I've been to the city countless times and stayed in it on multiple occasions just to explore and find what it has to offer. My conclusion is that there's nothing special to be found and it really is a pretty depressing place. I'd rather stay in the surrounding areas that are nicer and ignore the city, because the city is pretty embarrassing as far as cities go.

I do know what I'm talking about. Have you ever seen those "Mark each thing you've done in Buffalo" things on social media? I score higher than some locals on that stuff. I've made a conscious effort to get around.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I don't begrudge you for being proud of your city. I get it. But if the league started from scratch and picked locations to have NFL teams based on the quality and size of the city, Buffalo would have no chance. That's just the reality. The Falls are the only thing that make it a place any random person might want to visit.

I'm from one of the most economically depressed metros in the entire United States, and Buffalo feels just like it.

To answer your question though, I've been to the city countless times and stayed in it on multiple occasions just to explore and find what it has to offer. My conclusion is that there's nothing special to be found and it really is a pretty depressing place. I'd rather stay in the surrounding areas that are nicer and ignore the city, because the city is pretty embarrassing as far as cities go.

I do know what I'm talking about. Have you ever seen those "Mark each thing you've done in Buffalo" things on social media? I score higher than some locals on that stuff. I've made a conscious effort to get around.

How old are you? Just wondering if you might be a younger age that gets bored easily and wants more to do and if that may be part of the reason?

7 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

How old are you? Just wondering if you might be a younger age that gets bored easily and wants more to do and if that may be part of the reason?

Maybe he works at Applebee’s and got sick of Dave & Buster’s?  :)

I’ve stayed downtown on game weekends, but I never knew it as a kid from the suburbs who left as a 17 year old. I found downtown to be just fine, and I love the strip along Main Street in Williamsville. Still, I know some young people would prefer Manhattan or Buckhead (as my son’s buddies did after college). For me personally, more is not always better. I prefer Buffalo traffic and summers to Atlanta’s! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, BUFFALOBART said:

I've lived, and worked, in Manhattan, FWIIW. People who denigrate Buffalo, are standing on thin ice. It's nothing short of ignorance, really...

My wife technically works out of Manhattan and I would join her from time to time (pre-Covid). There were things we loved, then there was the rest. If it’s for you, fine! Not for me. The wife actually turned the job down until they caved on “must live in NYC”. 

We visited Chicago in the days before the home opener last year. I hadn’t been to Chicago in decades, but it was so much nicer and cleaner than most of Manhattan. I know, all big cities have their good and bad, but the difference was striking. And I would never want to live in Chicago, either. 

3 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

If Buffalo was a European City, (I have traveled to a number of European cities) it would be a 'must see'. Suggestion: Don't come back. Why burden yourself, ferchrissake.....?

I'll be back. I love Buffalo because of the Bills, and I find the inferiority complex/pride of Buffalonians endearing.

3 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I'm 33 and an old soul. Maybe I'm missing something. Can someone share what makes Buffalo special or a nicer city than any other?

7 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I'm 33 and an old soul. Maybe I'm missing something. Can someone share what makes Buffalo special or a nicer city than any other?

I may have to agree with you that the city limits do have something to be desired. There is the Elmwood Strip which is vibrant. Chippewa which is a young person party spot. (I wouldn't want to be walking down Chippewa at 12:30 am on a Saturday night at 55. Too peoplely.) BUT, the surrounding areas is what makes Buffalo, Buffalo. My band played Music on Main tonight in Williamsville. Great turnout, great vibe! Buffalo is one of those places where you can leave the city limits and be in the suburbs in mere minutes, or in the county within a half an hour. There are a lot of advantages to living in the Buffalo AREA. If I need me some downtown, it's relatively a short drive compared to other cities. If I want the country, same short drive. 

12 hours ago, Warcodered said:

It's the first year here in Buffalo and the season hasn't even started yet, every time he does interviews or gets asked questions he's going to get asked about the process of coming here, I really don't get why people are letting this bug them.

You don't get it because you were a fair weather Broncos fan not that long ago.......it's very different here in WNY.........this is the way a lot of Bills fans have always been.

It's why Adam Schefter called Bills fans a "mafia" when they were illogically attacking anyone who criticized the ridiculous behavior of Stevie Johnson after he single handedly blew a game against Pittsburgh with multiple drops and then blamed......God.

There isn't the broad and friendly sense of humor about a largely moribund franchise that some similarly championship deficient organizations have.......like the Cubs prior to 2016, for instance.

We joke amongst ourselves but a large % of Bills fans are HIGHLY defensive about any perceived negative press going national.

It's one thing to not agree with Bills fans not being better sports..........but to not get it?    That's the first sign that you ain't from around here. :lol:

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Green Bay would also not have an NFL team........smaller market than Buffalo.    And probably Pittsburgh as well.    Pittsburgh is not a city often considered threatened because the Steelers are iconic due to their SB history.   But without that prestige........they are the Pirates........who can barely exist financially in MLB despite maybe the best stadium to watch a game from in the league.

It's important for the Bills to take advantage of this Josh Allen era to cement a football legacy like GB and Pittsburgh.........as a city people can't imagine without pro football.    A town that has bandwagon fans everywhere.   They've already manage to sneak thru a massive amount of public funding for a stadium that never gets thru with Kyle Orton at QB so they are off to a good start.:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Believe it or not this is an honest view on how free agency works. It’s a huge decision and until they sign players likely go back and forth when they have options.

Buffalo is not a dream destination for any player. 

Not sure about that as McKenzie said he was willing to play for candy.  Still think Beane should've taken him up on that offer.

12 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

what was OBD backup plan?   Chandler Jones was already gone by this point.  

Trade for Robert Quinn maybe.  They would've had to restructure some deals to take on his cap hit though.

6 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I'm not from there, but I've spent weeks there recently

I have, many times and for extended periods. I'm very familiar with the city and the surrounding areas. Locals don't want to hear it, but there's nothing special about Buffalo. It's a very dirty, dilapidated, small, hurting city

Have you seen our grain elevators?  Born and raised in Angola (suburb of Buffalo) but I've lived for small periods of time in Oswego, Syracuse, Omaha, Columbus, Northfolk, Miami, Reno, and back to Buffalo.  I managed to maintain the same level of unhappiness in each place. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, eball said:

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Bounce

ok, so I always understood a “direct” flight to be one where you don’t have to change planes to get to your destination.  They can be non-stop or they can stop seventeen times, but as long as you’re staying on the plane it’s a direct flight. 

I said “not JUST direct” in my post because I’m sure there’s a greater number of direct flights available between these cities than just the non-stops.  I only pointed out that there are even non-stop flights available to show how ridiculous the author’s premise was. 

We okay now?

2 minutes ago, BRH said:

ok, so I always understood a “direct” flight to be one where you don’t have to change planes to get to your destination.  They can be non-stop or they can stop seventeen times, but as long as you’re staying on the plane it’s a direct flight. 

I said “not JUST direct” in my post because I’m sure there’s a greater number of direct flights available between these cities than just the non-stops.  I only pointed out that there are even non-stop flights available to show how ridiculous the author’s premise was. 

We okay now?

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611e2d8c89252e81d1810

11 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

A lot of people forgave your people for Mussolini, probably because of the delicious pasta and Sophia Loren. 

This goes beyond the pale. 

• Haha (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I'll be back. I love Buffalo because of the Bills, and I find the inferiority complex/pride of Buffalonians endearing.

I've heard the beef weck sandwich is incredible although I've never had one

4 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I've heard the beef weck sandwich is incredible although I've never had one

No one's going to be surprised to hear this from me, but it's not. It's not even as good as a French dip from Arby's. Every time I take a new person to Buffalo and they excitedly try the beef on weck, they're always disappointed because it's not anything special. There's a reason it hasn't left the Buffalo area. And before anyone says "You haven't had a proper one! You need to get one at X place!" -- I've tried ALL the top famous places and some lesser-known places.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Believe it or not this is an honest view on how free agency works. It’s a huge decision and until they sign players likely go back and forth when they have options.

Buffalo is not a dream destination for any player. 

In the Bills history I remember also one former Bill who did NOT want to play in Buffalo. Circumvented it actually by playing in the USFL first. His name of course is Jim Kelly. Suffice it to say that Buffalo may not be the dream destination for players at first....................Until they actually DO come here. Then suddenly their attitude shifts and it becomes not only their NFL residence but Home. Im not saying that Von Miller will become a lifelong resident of WNY. But what I am saying is I'm not going to judge him for what he has Thought. I will judge him on what he Brings.  He is OUR new piece to the puzzle. 

Remember when the Bills lacked an integral piece to the roster and signed a guy named James Lofton and what occurred? I think this guy may well be the current generations "James Lofton". I officially just got chills.

14 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I'm not from there, but I've spent weeks there recently

I have, many times and for extended periods. I'm very familiar with the city and the surrounding areas. Locals don't want to hear it, but there's nothing special about Buffalo. It's a very dirty, dilapidated, small, hurting city

you must really dislike Buffalo.  Buffalo doesn't need me to defend it. You see what you see and the rest of us all will continue to see it through our rose colored glasses @-@ . 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.