Von Miller’s path to Bills in first foray into free agency: ‘Buffalo just chose me’

DrDawkinstein

https://theathletic.com/3387676/2022/07/07/von-miller-bills-rams-broncos/?source=user-shared-article&redirected=1

Earlier that day, the 33-year-old became a free agent for the first time in his career. Now he was on a private plane to Buffalo to sign with the Bills. And he was second-guessing himself.

I am going to miss my teammates so much.

There are no direct flights to Buffalo from the other cities I spend a lot of time in.

Nobody wants to play in sub-zero weather.

Miller was backing out. He told himself he was going to the Bills offices in Orchard Park and telling GM Brandon Beane and head coach Sean McDermott he had decided not to sign face to face. He would offer to pay for the private plane ride.

When he arrived, he asked to use the bathroom and locked himself in for 15 minutes. Someone finally checked on him. “Hey, you all right?”

Not really.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

There are non-stop (not just direct) flights daily between Buffalo and Denver, Dallas, and LA.  What other cities does he "spend a lot of time in"?

Other than that, it was a great article.

And the happy ending (NOT the Kraft/Watson type you scumbags!)

On a shelf in Miller’s boyhood bedroom sits a ballcap with a blue buffalo and a red stripe. The cap has been there for 11 years.

In 2011, Miller was convinced he would be taken by the Bills with the third pick of the draft. He wore the cap while working out to prepare for the NFL combine. The night before the draft, when he heard the Broncos planned to take him with the second pick, he was stunned. He put the cap on the shelf, where it remained all these years.

The truth is, back then the Bills badly wanted Miller.

“We would have definitely taken him,” says Doug Whaley, the Bills’ assistant GM at the time.

After the Panthers took quarterback Cam Newton first, the Broncos selected Miller, whom Denver head coach John Fox thought was the best player in the draft. The Bills then chose defensive tackle Marcell Dareus, but they never forgot about Miller.

Beane recalls the Bills inquiring about Miller’s availability in 2019, but the Broncos were not interested in moving him then. After Paton replaced Elway as general manager, Beane asked about Miller again in early 2021. Paton told him they weren’t looking to trade him. Then, when Miller finally was on the trade block last season, Beane made a third run at him. The Broncos and Rams were a better match, however, and Miller was sent west instead of east.

About three years ago, Miller looked up Allen on Instagram and kiddingly told him they would join forces on the Bills one day. In the time since, Miller watched the Bills closely and imagined himself there. Branion says a couple of years ago, Miller told him the Bills were a team he would be interested in joining.

So really, Miller didn’t become a Bill quickly. From the dusty sprawl of North Texas to the feathered foothills of Colorado and the palm tree-lined streets of Southern California, the pull to Buffalo has been unceasing.

This wasn’t just Miller’s decision, it seems.

“This place chose me,” Miller says. “Buffalo just chose me. And it’s been trying to choose me all of these years.”

• Haha (+1) 3

Great article.

A fine example of why I find The Athletic to be a highly worthwhile subscription.

The "he was gonna back out" angle is a new addition to the story. Certainly helps explain why he looked like his dog died in his "touring the Bills facility" video.

Credit to Beane and the Bills staff for sealing the deal with a player who was having serious second thoughts. 

• Like (+1) 6

Just now, Logic said:

Great article.

A fine example of why I find The Athletic to be a highly worthwhile subscription.

The "he was gonna back out" angle is a new addition to the story. Certainly helps explain why he looked like his dog died in his "touring the Bills facility" video.

Credit to Beane and the Bills staff for sealing the deal with a player who was having serious second thoughts. 

He said this in his first press conference 

• Agree 2

I’m sure he got a good vibe from everyone he met, and that helped him commit. That along with our high end facilities. 

Oh, and the money. Has anyone mentioned the money? Buffalo “chose to open the checkbook”.  Love Von, don’t blame the guy, but he wasn’t coming for the vet minimum. 

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Honestly, he's said a lot of stuff like this and I feel like it would be good to stop.

I get how it can be annoying, but he has zero ties to Buffalo.  

Played his entire career in Denver.  Was traded to LA.  Hometown is Dallas.  

He has ties in all those places that Buffalo could never replicate.  He's an honest guy, and I'm entirely confident that we'll hear similar stories from him down the line about how much Buffalo also means to him.

We have guys like Stefon Diggs wanting to re-sign here.  If a player loves football, Bills Mafia is the fanbase to rep, and Von loves football.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Honestly, he's said a lot of stuff like this and I feel like it would be good to stop.

Yeah, really. You’re a Bill now. We’re getting to TMI territory. 

You were ready to back out? Okay, makes sense, it’s a big choice. But I would’ve signed with Dallas for less because it’s Dallas? Not sure how that information benefits anyone, especially the people from Buffalo and your new teammates. 

Even if it makes all the sense in the world to him. Who is the demographic for this information? Cowboys fans? Let’s move along. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

He just seems to be at the point of his career where he's very honest about things no BS. I don't really care that a guy was willing to give the hometown team he grew up dreaming of playing on a discount if they'd gotten closer to what he wanted. Of course he was torn on a decision that could likely be his last stop of his NFL career, once he's made the decision I'm sure he's completely bought in now.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

28 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

He said this in his first press conference 

I don't recall him saying definitively that he was going to back out, and that he had decided that he would tell Beane face-to-face that he wasn't signing. I remember him saying he was having serious second thoughts and doubts, but not that he was planning to back out. I certainly may be wrong, but that's how I remember it.

• Disagree 2

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I don't recall him saying definitively that he was going to back out, and that he had decided that he would tell Beane face-to-face that he wasn't signing. I remember him saying he was having serious second thoughts and doubts, but not that he was planning to back out. I certainly may be wrong, but that's how I remember it.

I don't remember where, but I do think I saw him say this at some point.

9 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Yeah, really. You’re a Bill now. We’re getting to TMI territory. 

You were ready to back out? Okay, makes sense, it’s a big choice. But I would’ve signed with Dallas for less because it’s Dallas? Not sure how that information benefits anyone, especially the people from Buffalo and your new teammates. 

I think he meant because it is home.

I'd much rather these guys just say it - it's about the money AND best chance to win.

But I agree I really don't care how honest he wants to be, we paid you a ***k ton of money no one wants to hear anything other "sure there were 1 or 2 other teams I considered but I chose Buffalo this is where I want to finish my career."  

They all have second thoughts.  Of course they do.  

But part of our "process" here is....not the stuff he keeps saying out loud.  

Spare me the "he had a Bills hat" on his shelf in his draft year.  Don't care.  Or "Buffalo chose me."  My God.  Stop it. 

D-line remains my #1 concern with this team - lots of new faces and chemistry that's going to take time it is no different then OL.  And we payed a 33 year old to come play in a lead role.  You better freaking ball.   

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I think he meant because it is home.

I'd much rather these guys just say it - it's about the money AND best chance to win.

But I agree I really don't care how honest he wants to be, we paid you a ***k ton of money no one wants to hear anything other "sure there were 1 or 2 other teams I considered but I chose Buffalo this is where I want to finish my career."  

They all have second thoughts.  Of course they do.  

But part of our "process" here is....not the stuff he keeps saying out loud.  

Spare me the "he had a Bills hat" on his shelf in his draft year.  Don't care.  Or "Buffalo chose me."  My God.  Stop it. 

D-line remains my #1 concern with this team - lots of new faces and chemistry that's going to take time it is no different then OL.  And we payed a 33 year old to come play in a lead role.  You better freaking ball.   

It's the first year here in Buffalo and the season hasn't even started yet, every time he does interviews or gets asked questions he's going to get asked about the process of coming here, I really don't get why people are letting this bug them. I'd rather be on this side of the conversation than Cowboys fans hearing about how he almost could have been there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He just seems to be at the point of his career where he's very honest about things no BS. I don't really care that a guy was willing to give the hometown team he grew up dreaming of playing on a discount if they'd gotten closer to what he wanted. Of course he was torn on a decision that could likely be his last stop of his NFL career, once he's made the decision I'm sure he's completely bought in now.

I mean, I like to think of myself as an honest person. But there’s honesty and then there’s sharing information that doesn’t benefit anyone. I’m just not sure how the Dallas stuff benefits anyone. 

Thinking about backing out, sure, I get that it’s a big deal. 

• Agree 2

So what do you guys want?  Do you want a guy who wanted to come here just because we're a good team, give him a great chance at winning another title, and pay him the most money ...  or do you want a guy who thinks hard about his decisions, is open to new information, and is ultimately sold by the GM, coaches, players, etc that this is the best place to be?

The guy grew up in Texas, spent his career in Denver, and just won a title in LA.  I can't begrudge him having second thoughts.  A lot of guys would have turned the plane around.  Or slunk away and signed elsewhere after giving a verbal commitment, like McKissic.  He gave us a chance and we convinced him.  I love that.  

Honestly, I'd be a lot madder if I were a Cowboys fan.  Dallas had the chance to bring in a Hall of Famer and thought they could do it on the cheap just because they're Dallas.

Edited by BRH
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Logic said:

Great article.

The Athletic is my only virtual subscription. Their articles are written well and are top notch imo.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, BRH said:

So what do you guys want?  Do you want a guy who wanted to come here just because we're a good team, give him a great chance at winning another title, and pay him the most money ...  or do you want a guy who thinks hard about his decisions, is open to new information, and is ultimately sold by the GM, coaches, players, etc that this is the best place to be?

The guy grew up in Texas, spent his career in Denver, and just won a title in LA.  I can't begrudge him having second thoughts.  A lot of guys would have turned the plane around.  Or slunk away and signed elsewhere after giving a verbal commitment, like McKissic.  He gave us a chance and we convinced him.  I love that.  

Honestly, I'd be a lot madder if I were a Cowboys fan.  Dallas had the chance to bring in a Hall of Famer and thought they could do it on the cheap just because they're Dallas.

It just makes any talk of "this was the best chance to win" seem hollow because it was about the money and when you want to win the trust of your teammates and endure yourself to fans, I think it's best to keep this private.  Idk....maybe they all talk like this.  But it's just not something that jibes with our process especially when you have guys like Philips and Shaq openly clamoring to get back here - and one of them might get cut.  Maybe both.  

He's 33.  And entering a situation on a D line where he is now THE guy.  Not Oliver.  Not Rousseau - not yet.  It's him.  No Aaron Donald or Bradley Chubb to compliment him and get the attention. 

I'm thrilled we have him.  I think my expectations aren't as high as others.  Father time will catch up with him and the last thing I want is a Miller operating at 75% of his usual self say by next season and him not being thrilled about being here if things aren't going well.  

I guess at the very least the only 2 teams I can accept him saying he'd go to were the Rams and Cowboys.  

Rousseau and Oliver really need to be beasts this season.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.