Jump to content

Last year for Mickey Rats


Recommended Posts

Don't know if it was Captain Kidd's orMickey Ratt's but remember going there in early 60s (maybe 1963 or 1964. Used to be the   building you changed in at the beach. Surprised it is still standing. We had family get togethers at Sunset every summer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Five minute walk from my house growing up.  Rats and Maria's pizza was the only good thing about Angola.  Worked in the kitchen there and then as a barback through college.  Great memories and there was no better place to be around the 4th of July.  Have to get back out there this summer.  Sad to see it go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Was the 1st place I drove home from as an 18 y.o., in the ‘70’s, with no recollection of doing so…..


…..after a few years of practicing, by 1980, it seemed to became less of a problem and an auto pilot type ride.

 

Can’t deny, if it was divine intervention, that safely navigated the vehicle back to S.Buffalo from Angola at 5:00a.m., more times than I can remember.


…..and the Elmwood Strip., Allen St. the rural Lance & Shield and that old country barn with a loft, south of Buffalo that George Thorougood played.

Edited by I am the egg man
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haven’t been there since before the pandemic hit but I’m still bummed it’s closing. My aunt lives down the street on the lake and we used to walk or kayak over at least once or twice every summer. I’ll have to be sure to make it there for one last drink at least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to party there when I was younger.  Haven't been in at least a decade if not longer.  It's sad but not overly sad to me because they have been talking about it being it's last Summer for at least the last 5-6 years.  In fact I thought it was already closed down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

I used to party there when I was younger.  Haven't been in at least a decade if not longer.  It's sad but not overly sad to me because they have been talking about it being it's last Summer for at least the last 5-6 years.  In fact I thought it was already closed down.

Yeah, I would have guessed that Mickey Ratt's closed for good a decade ago!  Who knew it was still in operation?

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/2/2022 at 1:04 AM, I am the egg man said:

Was the 1st place I drove home from as an 18 y.o., in the ‘70’s, with no recollection of doing so…..


…..after a few years of practicing, by 1980, it seemed to became less of a problem and an auto pilot type ride.

 

Can’t deny, if it was divine intervention, that safely navigated the vehicle back to S.Buffalo from Angola at 5:00a.m., more times than I can remember.


…..and the Elmwood Strip., Allen St. the rural Lance & Shield and that old country barn with a loft, south of Buffalo that George Thorougood played.

I was never there, but are you talking about Belle Starr?

  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In 1978 I got caught smoking a joint in the girls bathroom with a couple other guys and a few girls.(the small bathroom was packed).

Like a wiseguy I told the bouncer: "hey man what are you doing in here, this is the girls bathroom." I was then the first one to head out of the bathroom door and quickly disappeared into the crowd. I switched shirts and borrowed a baseball cap. The other 2 guys got booted and were drinking beer in the lot. 

 About an hour and a few beers later I'm grooving to Sister Sledge with 3 or four fine ladies on the dance floor when the bouncer grabs me and escorts me to the door. Luckily he was a good sport and complimented me on my disguise. I was 17.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/1/2022 at 10:04 PM, I am the egg man said:

Was the 1st place I drove home from as an 18 y.o., in the ‘70’s, with no recollection of doing so…..


…..after a few years of practicing, by 1980, it seemed to became less of a problem and an auto pilot type ride.

 

Can’t deny, if it was divine intervention, that safely navigated the vehicle back to S.Buffalo from Angola at 5:00a.m., more times than I can remember.


…..and the Elmwood Strip., Allen St. the rural Lance & Shield and that old country barn with a loft, south of Buffalo that George Thorougood played.

  The Belle Star.  I remember when it burned down. That place rocked.

 Made a fake Sheriffs ID in 77 when I was 16 with a Polaroid.  Late 70s, early 80s at Sunset beach , Mulligans Beach and the Brick bar, Mickey Rats, SB day parties at Crystal Beach. Great concerts at the Aud and Summerfests at the stadium. Weekend parties in Caz Park and madness on Seneca St. 

 South Buffalo was partying hard, glad I survived.🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

  The Belle Star.  I remember when it burned down. That place rocked.

 Made a fake Sheriffs ID in 77 when I was 16 with a Polaroid.  Late 70s, early 80s at Sunset beach , Mulligans Beach and the Brick bar, Mickey Rats, SB day parties at Crystal Beach. Great concerts at the Aud and Summerfests at the stadium. Weekend parties in Caz Park and madness on Seneca St. 

 South Buffalo was partying hard, glad I survived.🙂

Many a great rock and roll and blues acts came through the Belle star

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Turk71 said:

  The Belle Star.  I remember when it burned down. That place rocked.

 Made a fake Sheriffs ID in 77 when I was 16 with a Polaroid.  Late 70s, early 80s at Sunset beach , Mulligans Beach and the Brick bar, Mickey Rats, SB day parties at Crystal Beach. Great concerts at the Aud and Summerfests at the stadium. Weekend parties in Caz Park and madness on Seneca St. 

 South Buffalo was partying hard, glad I survived.🙂

I recall many of us born in 1956 that had a NYS driver's license had the unfair advantage of easily scuffing the '6' into a '5' on the license.  😁

*
As for the last year for Rats, I recall this being said before in the [BN] years ago.  Within the space of a week, three different stories ran regarding what then owner Paladino was going to do with it.  We had fun with their inability to relate the true destiny of the property in the comments section. 

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...