Reid Ferguson interviews Josh Allen

CorkScrewHill

Answers the tough questions .. best wing place beyond Bar-Bil, would he rather fight a Isaiah sized Grizzly Bear or a Spencer Brown sized Koala, fav and least fav road game location (fav is not surprising), and discusses many other topics. Josh Starts at 19:30ish and goes to the end (30 mins). The Ferguson brothers are pretty entertaining. Nice casual listen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Enough with the chicken wing crap.

There's more going on in WNY than chicken wings and snow.

3-henrich_martin-house-interior_pier-clu

215a5e8a-32bd-42f9-9323-0bf787074ee1_rw_

Richardson%20Complex%20night_Tom%20Burns

The architecture is the best kept secret!! Wish they would do something with the Central Terminal.Is recognized by Hollywood though 

Edited by Solomon Grundy
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/28/2022 at 11:10 AM, CorkScrewHill said:

would he rather fight a Isaiah sized Grizzly Bear or a Spencer Brown sized Koala

I'd go with the Grizzley, Koala are vicious diseased little bastards at their current size already.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Haha (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

The architecture is the best kept secret!! Wish they would do something with the Central Terminal.Is recognized by Hollywood though 

After traveling around the U.S. a little, I returned to Buffalo once and was surprised at how small my hometown was compared to the bigger American metropolises.  

But driving around Buffalo on another return, I was amazed at how much beautiful architecture Buffalo has.  And saddened how much of it was in decay (or already lost).  For example, two Frank Lloyd Wright houses still exist but his Larkin building has been torn down.  

Weirdly, I go to Parkside Candy nearly every time I visit Buffalo.  Beside enjoying their chocolate and sponge candy, I feel like I'm visiting a Buffalo in a microcosm.  Such a beautiful but decrepit old store that deserves much better care.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Enough with the chicken wing crap.

There's more going on in WNY than chicken wings and snow.

3-henrich_martin-house-interior_pier-clu

215a5e8a-32bd-42f9-9323-0bf787074ee1_rw_

Richardson%20Complex%20night_Tom%20Burns

I have been clue how I know atleast the 1st one but frank Lloyd Wright?

55 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

After traveling around the U.S. a little, I returned to Buffalo once and was surprised at how small my hometown was compared to the bigger American metropolises.  

But driving around Buffalo on another return, I was amazed at how much beautiful architecture Buffalo has.  And saddened how much of it was in decay (or already lost).  For example, two Frank Lloyd Wright houses still exist but his Larkin building has been torn down.  

Weirdly, I go to Parkside Candy nearly every time I visit Buffalo.  Beside enjoying their chocolate and sponge candy, I feel like I'm visiting a Buffalo in a microcosm.  Such a beautiful but decrepit old store that deserves much better care.  

Really???? I used to work in there, had no idea

[Edit: just looked it up. I'm not sure if they rebuilt over where it used to be and kept the name maybe?]

Edited by BillsShredder83

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

For example, two Frank Lloyd Wright houses still exist but his Larkin building has been torn down.  

Man are you saying you remember seeing the Larkin Building?  They knocked it down in 1950.  Too bad it was a remarkable building 

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Am sitting in Zorba’s, in Depew, getting my Texas hot fix in before flying back to Charlotte in a few hours.

This city always makes me feel melancholy. So many places I grew up visiting are gone, closed or run down. Tons of rebuilding has gone on in the last 25 years and I’m always surprised when I see someplace new replacing someplace old.

One thing that is absolutely obvious is the amount of extra Bills pride displayed in yards and on houses. This city is brimming with Billief 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I don't think it's a best kept secret

Buffalo has some of the best art deco, Gothic, art nouveau, victorian architecture in America 

It's an absolutely gorgeous city... Which is why I think a new age Palace downtown actually doesn't fit in

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Man are you saying you remember seeing the Larkin Building?  They knocked it down in 1950.  Too bad it was a remarkable building 

I'm old but not that ancient.  I once saw an artist's very cool cutaway rendition of it and wished some civic-minded Buffalo millionaire would rebuild it at the original location.  

This isn't the artist's recreation I remember but this short video of the Larkin building is good:

www.vrexplorer.net/HTC-Vive/Larkin-building-by-Frank-Lloyd-Wright

So, yeah, there's more to Buffalo than just wings.  For example, the Smithsonian Associates do a 4-day Frank Lloyd Wright Buffalo tour for $1300+.  

smithsonianassociates.org/ticketing/tickets/fl-wrights-buffalo

Edited by hondo in seattle

On 5/28/2022 at 1:21 PM, hondo in seattle said:

The preservation efforts were not good until relatively recently. While you are correct about the Larkin Building, there is a one acre campus with 3 Wright buildings in the middle of the beautiful Parkside neighborhood (main Darwin Martin House, Barton House, Gardner's cottage). There are very few cities in the country that can offer that. Strongly recommend the full tour of all 3 houses.

In addition, the HH Richardson tower and complex(the old Buffalo Psych Center), Louis Sullivan's The Guaranty building (he was Wright's original boss), Eero's Saarinen's Kleinhans Music Hall, Frederick Law Olmstead, designer of Central Park in NY did Delaware Park in Buffalo including Forest Lawn Cemetery (a beautiful place to walk and noted for quite a few famous people being buried there, including but not limited to these: https://www.visitbuffaloniagara.com/7-famous-residents-of-forest-lawn-cemetery/), blocks and blocks of Victorian Houses in Elmwood Village (it's like walking through a different era in history), The Albright Knox Art gallery (on the National Registry of Historic Places), the Theodore Roosevelt Mansion on Delaware Ave. where Roosevelt was sworn in after McKinley was assassinated and many many beautiful mansions that line Delaware Ave. The industrialists of old that lived there at one point owned all the land from Delaware Avenue to the Niagara River and there are more architectural attractions as well. Buffalo may be old and small but it's architecture is outstanding. Architectural tourism in this town has become a major tourist draw. It literally is one of the major component's of the future of this area. They don't build them like this any more and very few of the newer American cities have anything like it. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/28/2022 at 7:51 PM, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think it's a best kept secret

Buffalo has some of the best art deco, Gothic, art nouveau, victorian architecture in America 

It's an absolutely gorgeous city... Which is why I think a new age Palace downtown actually doesn't fit in

I disagree. A mixture of the old and the new has worked in other cities i.e. Boston, Philadelphia, etc. 

11 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I disagree. A mixture of the old and the new has worked in other cities i.e. Boston, Philadelphia, etc. 

None of those cities have built a new football palace downtown 

I'm not anti construction.. I just don't think 2+ billion dollars for a state of the art downtown stadium is worth it imo 

I'm all for the safest, cheapest option with the best sight lines

Edited by Buffalo716

23 hours ago, BubbaT said:

The preservation efforts were not good until relatively recently. While you are correct about the Larkin Building, there is a one acre campus with 3 Wright buildings in the middle of the beautiful Parkside neighborhood (main Darwin Martin House, Barton House, Gardner's cottage). There are very few cities in the country that can offer that. Strongly recommend the full tour of all 3 houses.

In addition, the HH Richardson tower and complex(the old Buffalo Psych Center), Louis Sullivan's The Guaranty building (he was Wright's original boss), Eero's Saarinen's Kleinhans Music Hall, Frederick Law Olmstead, designer of Central Park in NY did Delaware Park in Buffalo including Forest Lawn Cemetery (a beautiful place to walk and noted for quite a few famous people being buried there, including but not limited to these: https://www.visitbuffaloniagara.com/7-famous-residents-of-forest-lawn-cemetery/), blocks and blocks of Victorian Houses in Elmwood Village (it's like walking through a different era in history), The Albright Knox Art gallery (on the National Registry of Historic Places), the Theodore Roosevelt Mansion on Delaware Ave. where Roosevelt was sworn in after McKinley was assassinated and many many beautiful mansions that line Delaware Ave. The industrialists of old that lived there at one point owned all the land from Delaware Avenue to the Niagara River and there are more architectural attractions as well. Buffalo may be old and small but it's architecture is outstanding. Architectural tourism in this town has become a major tourist draw. It literally is one of the major component's of the future of this area. They don't build them like this any more and very few of the newer American cities have anything like it. 

I'll throw in the Ellicott Square Building and City Hall onto the list

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.