Jump to content

Mass shooting in Buffalo (Those wishing to exchange on the political aspects of this situation should do so in the thread located in PPP) - edit by moderator


Buffalo716
 Share

Recommended Posts

What bothers me most is the pride some have in their hatred towards others. Flags, stickers, etc. to show they are part of the tribe. Last week I was in a very rural area north of Binghamton. The school bus stopped and three black children got out to go home. Two houses away, their neighbor is flying the confederate flag.    People now feel safe showing others they hate. There is no shame. That still bothers me just thinking about those kids.

  • Like (+1) 6
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Binghamton is not far from Ithaca

 

I'm aware of the geography.  I've carefully refrained from commentary on my experience with the philosophical proclivities of the area.

 

41 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

 Also I-81 from Conklin to the NYS thruway would indeed take him through Syracuse and Rochester

 

True.  It's about 15% longer, but maybe interstate all the way is a push on time.  So he could have.

 

I'm not sure if I'm "I guess his reasons will come out and we'll know" or "I don't GAF I just want this guy to burn, and the sooner the better for me" (unfortunately or fortunately  I respect the law)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

What bothers me most is the pride some have in their hatred towards others. Flags, stickers, etc. to show they are part of the tribe. Last week I was in a very rural area north of Binghamton. The school bus stopped and three black children got out to go home. Two houses away, their neighbor is flying the confederate flag.    People now feel safe showing others they hate. There is no shame. That still bothers me just thinking about those kids.

 

To be fair, some people flying the confederate battle flag don't perceive it as a symbol of hate (seriously, not kidding) and need to be gently walked through why others see it as such, and why, when you pick a symbol to display to others, you don't get to pick and choose amongst its historical associations.

 

51 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

why oh why did NYS get rid of the death penalty?

 

Apparently it costs more to exhaust all the appeals allowed in a death penalty case than to just feed and house the guy for life.  Dunno if that's the reason though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Which makes it obvious he targeted Buffalo for some reason that will hopefully come out. Syracuse is 1 hour away from Conklin, Buffalo is like 3.5 hours. 


if you have a strong stomach you can find out why he chose his target in his “manifesto.” He chose the 14208 zip code specifically because it had the highest concentration of black people he could reasonably drive to. His motivations could not be clearer. He can burn.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:


if you have a strong stomach you can find out why he chose his target in his “manifesto.” He chose the 14208 zip code specifically because it had the highest concentration of black people he could reasonably drive to. His motivations could not be clearer. He can burn.

I hadn't realized the media is now citing elements of his manifesto.  At the initial press conference the media was very closed mouthed about all this as the investigation was ongoing.  I don't think I have the stomach to search out and read the document, but from what I gather from the press, he certainly was influenced by other mass shooters and was radicalized especially over the past few years via social media forums.  This is just plain scary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

if you have a strong stomach you can find out why he chose his target in his “manifesto.” He chose the 14208 zip code specifically because it had the highest concentration of black people he could reasonably drive to. His motivations could not be clearer. He can burn.

 

My stomach is not that strong.  I will take your word. 

 

9 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I hadn't realized the media is now citing elements of his manifesto. 

 

Wish they wouldn't

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:


if you have a strong stomach you can find out why he chose his target in his “manifesto.” He chose the 14208 zip code specifically because it had the highest concentration of black people he could reasonably drive to. His motivations could not be clearer. He can burn.

Wow! 😔 😟 🙁 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

My stomach is not that strong.  I will take your word. 

 

 

Wish they wouldn't

They're not really quoting from it, but just citing how he researched the shooting venue and planned everything.  Also they cited his influences.  This was in an article in the NY Times.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

They're not really quoting from it, but just citing how he researched the shooting venue and planned everything.  Also they cited his influences.  This was in an article in the NY Times.

 

Thanks.

 

TBN article about it:

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/pure-evil-racial-motives-cited-in-mass-shooting-that-killed-10-at-buffalo-supermarket/article_8ea69e00-d3e7-11ec-95a9-3317a6a19739.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_TheBuffaloNews

 

No paywall on this article

 

NY Times coverage:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/05/14/nyregion/buffalo-shooting?

image.thumb.png.0296a30de7c01a23512cb08d30ba77c4.png

Quote

Maryam Akaic, left, and a friend light candles across the street from Tops, where they shop often. “If this happened to anyone in my family, I’d want them to light candles for us.”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just saw his plan. Had every step planned out. The store mapped out. Where security usually is. Where the most people would be. Looked at reviews online and saw store is slow. Where they would flee and what neighborhood he was gonna go to next with what weapons. 

 

My god this is the most heartbreaking thing I've ever read. 

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

This is just my opinion, but social media has been the single biggest misery to society in my 40+ years. Maybe I'm a Luddite, but I see much more harm than good.

It is with no joy that I have to say that after years of arguing the opposite point, I now have to agree with you.

The internet in general? A net positive. Social media? A net negative.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

It’s almost as if the ongoing normalization of white supremacy and replacement theory have awful consequences in the real world.


Where is this happening at ?    This seems like crazy talk 

  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:


Where is this happening at ?    This seems like crazy talk 

 

Here are a few articles about the foothold that replacement theory — itself a White supremacist ideology — has on many Americans, from a variety of sources. 
 

The shooter today was not the first mass shooter to be radicalized by white supremacy and replacement theory and he won’t be the last.

 

 

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/tucker-carlson-great-replacement-white-supremacy-1231248/amp/


https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/poll-finds-one-third-of-adults-say-they-think-an-effort-is-afoot-to-replace-native-born-americans-with-new-immigrants-for-electoral-purposes-01652314775

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/05/09/nearly-half-republicans-agree-with-great-replacement-theory/

 

https://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/amp/ncna1295212

  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It is with no joy that I have to say that after years of arguing the opposite point, I now have to agree with you.

The internet in general? A net positive. Social media? A net negative.

Yes... But social media in a "Ukrainian Situation" is a net positive!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It is with no joy that I have to say that after years of arguing the opposite point, I now have to agree with you.

The internet in general? A net positive. Social media? A net negative.

 

I think the thing to remember is that before there was Facebook and Twitter and Instagram and Discord, there were AOL groups and newsgroups and then specialized bulletin boards and websites that were dedicated to pushing various ideologies. 

 

So IMHO it's kind of hard to separate the internet from social media.  I guess the latter makes it more widespread and readily available 24/7 since it's on smartphone apps?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Logic said:

 

Here are a few articles about the foothold that replacement theory — itself a White supremacist ideology — has on many Americans, from a variety of sources. 
 

The shooter today was not the first mass shooter to be radicalized by white supremacy and replacement theory and he won’t be the last.

 

 

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/tucker-carlson-great-replacement-white-supremacy-1231248/amp/


https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/poll-finds-one-third-of-adults-say-they-think-an-effort-is-afoot-to-replace-native-born-americans-with-new-immigrants-for-electoral-purposes-01652314775

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/05/09/nearly-half-republicans-agree-with-great-replacement-theory/

 

https://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/amp/ncna1295212


white supremacy is always frowned upon 100 of 100 times that I’ve came across but I guess I don’t know everyone 

 

feels reachy 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • BuffaloBill changed the title to Mass shooting in Buffalo (Those wishing to exchange on the political aspects of this situation should do so in the thread located in PPP) - edit by moderator
  • BuffaloBill unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...