Jump to content

Different field goal holder?


Recommended Posts

On 5/9/2022 at 9:46 AM, Your Brown Eye said:

If they are going to carry 3 QB's then Matt Barkley can do it. He won't see the field as QB3, so get some use out of him. He knows the system, seems smart enough to pick up any new nuisances of the offense relatively quickly where he can also practice holding and placement of FG's.

If Barkley makes the team at all, it will be as a practice squad player who won’t dress and be available on Sundays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2022 at 9:46 AM, Your Brown Eye said:

If they are going to carry 3 QB's then Matt Barkley can do it. He won't see the field as QB3, so get some use out of him. He knows the system, seems smart enough to pick up any new nuisances of the offense relatively quickly where he can also practice holding and placement of FG's.

Also, don’t they get an extra game day roster spot for a 3rd QB?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2022 at 11:07 AM, Rochesterfan said:

 

 


 

No one has experience because with the new practice rules - everyone uses the punter.

 

There is not enough practice time for any position players to hold.  FG, Punt, Long Snapping - all get practiced and worked on at the same time as the rest of the team is practicing.

 

When guys like Tasker or Reich held - lots of back up QBs held - because they had unlimited practice time so they could stay after and hold.

 

It will be just like every other team and the punter will hold. One of the backups will get a chance to hold in case of injury, but other than that it will be the punter.

 

 

Isn't AJ Epennessa the back up long snapper?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Isn't AJ Epennessa the back up long snapper?


 

I don’t know if it is AJ, but they will have a regular roster player that will practice a couple of times a season and a few more than that during training camp/ pre-season in case of injury to the primary.  
 

So typically the Back-up QB will practice holding a few - the punter will practice FG kicks, the kicker will practice punts, other lineman will practice snapping, etc.

 

That is all done within the confines of practice as they work special teams, but you are talking about practicing it maybe a handful of times in the season - versus thousands of times for the starters.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yes!

 

Well, no. He right of course.

 

Plus when there was a roster spot for an emergency QB it was only to play QB, if I'm not mistaken. You couldn't let the guy play another position. And one of the other QBs had to be out for the rest of the game, I believe.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, The Dean said:

 

Well, no. He right of course.

 

Plus when there was a roster spot for an emergency QB it was only to play QB, if I'm not mistaken. You couldn't let the guy play another position. And one of the other QBs had to be out for the rest of the game, I believe.

Thank you for more of an explanation than “NO!”  And because of this I started to look it up myself which didn’t take long. But honestly I thought the 3rd QB rule still applied and was more strict than I thought it was. Thank you for somewhat of an explanation. 
 

https://www.sportscasting.com/why-the-nfl-abolished-the-third-quarterback-rule/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, mrags said:

Yes!

 

10 hours ago, The Dean said:

 

Well, no. He right of course.

 

Plus when there was a roster spot for an emergency QB it was only to play QB, if I'm not mistaken. You couldn't let the guy play another position. And one of the other QBs had to be out for the rest of the game, I believe.

 

10 hours ago, mrags said:

Thank you for more of an explanation than “NO!”  And because of this I started to look it up myself which didn’t take long. But honestly I thought the 3rd QB rule still applied and was more strict than I thought it was. Thank you for somewhat of an explanation. 
 

https://www.sportscasting.com/why-the-nfl-abolished-the-third-quarterback-rule/

 

So the reason I just simply said "No" was because Rags I assumed you were being sarcastic.  I figured someone who posted as much as you do and seem to know what's going on knew that rule was long gone (You're probably going to catch alot of flack for this :) )

 

Below is a link to an article "5 Reasons QB's don't hold"  One time I had found another link think it was like "the 10 reasons....." That article added that way back likely prior to the Emergency QB Rule in 1991 rosters were larger and teams routinely dressed 3 QB's so then they did hold much more.  Maybe Frank Reich started as a 3rd string QB and that's how he got into holding even though he was he 2nd string QB in Buffalo?

 

Also was stated elsewhere that punters generally last more seasons on a roster than the 3rd string or even 2nd string QB.  Couple articles I've read state Barkley will likely be cut, then moved to PS so why invest time in a guy who at best may not last more than one season.

 

https://howtheyplay.com/team-sports/Reasons-Punters-Hold-for-Field-Goals

 

 

Emergency QB Rule (1991 to 2010)

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_quarterback_rule

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

 

 

 

So the reason I just simply said "No" was because Rags I assumed you were being sarcastic.  I figured someone who posted as much as you do and seem to know what's going on knew that rule was long gone (You're probably going to catch alot of flack for this :) )

 

Below is a link to an article "5 Reasons QB's don't hold"  One time I had found another link think it was like "the 10 reasons....." That article added that way back likely prior to the Emergency QB Rule in 1991 rosters were larger and teams routinely dressed 3 QB's so then they did hold much more.  Maybe Frank Reich started as a 3rd string QB and that's how he got into holding even though he was he 2nd string QB in Buffalo?

 

Also was stated elsewhere that punters generally last more seasons on a roster than the 3rd string or even 2nd string QB.  Couple articles I've read state Barkley will likely be cut, then moved to PS so why invest time in a guy who at best may not last more than one season.

 

https://howtheyplay.com/team-sports/Reasons-Punters-Hold-for-Field-Goals

 

 

Emergency QB Rule (1991 to 2010)

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_quarterback_rule

It’s great you gave me benefit of the doubt that I know what’s going on. My wife would disagree with you 100%. 
 

yeah I wasn’t sure of the rule. Thought something changed recently. Honestly, based on the article I linked it states it’s been done a while which I’m sure is similar to the one you linked as well. I swear something more recent was put in place. I obviously don’t follow up as closely to changes like this. Nor do I really care that much. End of the day Araiza will win the job. Will be just fine. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2022 at 9:42 AM, Offside Number 76 said:

 

I'm a big fan of using the backup QB to hold for kicks.  It opens up all sorts of possibilities.


I agree.  Barkley is a good option.  He’s going to be the third QB on the depth chart, and would have time to practice enough to do it, but there is one problem.  That means we have three active QB’s on game day.  Does McD want to do that or have Areiza just practice nonstop to get him ready.  As much as I love the idea of fake kicks as an option to throw a quick out route on 4th and 4 to a backup WR, but I just don’t see them activating all three.  Keenum will be the main backup as they trade for him for a reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Punt God is already the best holder on the team. He will probably go down as the best holder to ever play that position. They will make a FG holder HoF shrine for him next to his punting records.

Edited by TBBills
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who needs extras points will just go for 2 !!! 

11 minutes ago, without a drought said:

Who's going to hold for punts?

Who said will be doing any punting this year ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2022 at 5:56 PM, machine gun kelly said:


I agree.  Barkley is a good option.  He’s going to be the third QB on the depth chart, and would have time to practice enough to do it, but there is one problem.  That means we have three active QB’s on game day.  Does McD want to do that or have Areiza just practice nonstop to get him ready.  As much as I love the idea of fake kicks as an option to throw a quick out route on 4th and 4 to a backup WR, but I just don’t see them activating all three.  Keenum will be the main backup as they trade for him for a reason.

 

No way are they keeping 3 QB's for this on the active roster.  If it really came down to Araiza is terrible at holding, better chance they'd keep Haack for holding rather than start training someone else, or use someone else who's a core ST player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

 

No way are they keeping 3 QB's for this on the active roster.  If it really came down to Araiza is terrible at holding, better chance they'd keep Haack for holding rather than start training someone else, or use someone else who's a core ST player.

 

 

I think the only way Araiza doesn't stick is if he pulls a Gary Anderson in camp and pre season.  He'd better learn to hold and fast.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have to say, I have never in my life ever seen people so fixated on something like FG Holding, or even a punter in general.

 

I mean reporters have also been ridiculously focused on a punter ten times more than any other player drafted.  It’s almost always one of the first things asked to McD and Beane.

 

LET IT GO PEOPLE.  There is literally nothing to worry about here, the over the top obsession about this is utterly insane.  He will be fine, and as someone already pointed out, with the supposed god of ball holding Haack, Bass accuracy was only better by one FG over the not so good Bojo.  
 

I was thrilled when we drafted the Punt God because Haack is terrible, but Geezus why is this guy the obsessive talk of the off-season?  He is gonna punt the ball the fewest times in the NFL playoffs this year as it is, and Bass is gonna be fine with him holding just like he was with the crappy Bojo.  
 

Elam, Cook, Shakir are the guys we should be really talking about.  The are very exciting additions to this team too and will have a chance to impact the season even more.  Not to mention our revamped interior DL and Von Miller.  
 

Obsess over them 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...