BREAKING: SCOTUS to overturn Roe?

21 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m curious what people think should happen to the two ‘journalists’ who broke this story. I’ve got to assume they are somehow connected to the legal world and may even be lawyers themselves. Should they have not understood the serious breach of trust that this leak represents and told the leaker to shred the document? 

Ya, let's punish people for printing something 

• Eyeroll 1

Leaking a preliminary SCOTUS opinion is another piece of evidence that America is in a troubling decline.  I didn't think someone working for the Court would do that.  

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Ya, let's punish people for printing something 

All these law clerks and assistants working for the justices are lawyers.  The job requirements bound them to a standard of ethics and duty to the court and their profession.  One of which is adhering to the rules of order defining the process of legal deliberations between the justices.  Another is the process that law clerks do not publish or announce or reveal court rulings.  A breach of trust and ethics and a violation of the rules of conduct between the Supreme Court justices and that individual may not result in legal action but will most certainly result in disbarment and firing.

As for punishing people, how about Julian Assange?  He just printed something too.  But lots of people on the left that love Hillary and blame Assange for her loss in 2016 along with other government operatives that got exposed and embarrassed by that act of "printing something" have the desire to lock him up.  

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, ALF said:

If it is overturned would mean abortion likely made illegal in Republican States , stay legal in Democrat States.

When SC nominees were questioned by the Senate , the ones that said Roe/Wade is now set as precedent will be highly criticized. 

The SC nominee issue is a fair point, but I'm not at all certain about "illegal in Republican states".  I think the question will ultimately boil down to a reasonable determination when the right to choose ends at some point prior to birth, with appropriate consideration for sexual assault, ***** and concerns for health of the individual.   

4 hours ago, ALF said:

Personally I'm pro life by religious belief , but I don't impose my beliefs on others. It will may now be a States right issue if overturned. It will make a partisan country even more partisan.

I think I understand what you're trying to say, but this sure sounds like you're Pro Choice.  I see a number of folks trying to thread this needle where religion is concerned and I really don't understand why.  As for the partisan nature of the country, it is what it is.  I think that whole notion is oversold to begin with.  Most politically minded folks seem to define partisanship as "We'll get along great once you square up to my way of thinking."  Abortion has been a hot button, divisive issue forever, and I'm in the camp of suggesting that if it was bad law, it was bad law.  

16 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

The SC nominee issue is a fair point, but I'm not at all certain about "illegal in Republican states".  I think the question will ultimately boil down to a reasonable determination when the right to choose ends at some point prior to birth, with appropriate consideration for sexual assault, ***** and concerns for health of the individual.   

I think I understand what you're trying to say, but this sure sounds like you're Pro Choice.  I see a number of folks trying to thread this needle where religion is concerned and I really don't understand why.  As for the partisan nature of the country, it is what it is.  I think that whole notion is oversold to begin with.  Most politically minded folks seem to define partisanship as "We'll get along great once you square up to my way of thinking."  Abortion has been a hot button, divisive issue forever, and I'm in the camp of suggesting that if it was bad law, it was bad law.  

it's a complicated issue. The politicians agenda to boil it down to us vs them is a lot of the problem here. 

The spectrum is wide ranging from “any form of intercourse not intended for procreation is immoral”  to “pro full term abortion.” 

that aside, it’s entirely feasible as a nation of majority moderate people we could probably get most to agree it’s a terrible process, but there are circumstances where it may be a better outcome for humanity. 

just remember these same politicians lecturing you about the sanctity of life have no compunction about sending your 18 year old kid off to die, and these same people saying you should have a right to choose what you do with your body were trying to mandate vaccines with 14 month old technology. 

10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

it's a complicated issue. The politicians agenda to boil it down to us vs them is a lot of the problem here. 

The spectrum is wide ranging from “any form of intercourse not intended for procreation is immoral”  to “pro full term abortion.” 

that aside, it’s entirely feasible as a nation of majority moderate people we could probably get most to agree it’s a terrible process, but there are circumstances where it may be a better outcome for humanity. 

just remember these same politicians lecturing you about the sanctity of life have no compunction about sending your 18 year old kid off to die, and these same people saying you should have a right to choose what you do with your body were trying to mandate vaccines with 14 month old technology. 

That's the point exactly--big picture, it's an incredibly complicated and nuanced discussion that the poli's break down to us v them.  

My point with @ALF is that politically speaking, being pro life for one's self but everyone else should be free to decide on their own is a Pro Choice position.  I'm not demonizing him, and respect his point of view, I just don't understand the emotional gymnastics in play.  

Your point on the autonomy is spot on.  There is precious little reality to "My body, my rules" when considering laws, rules, and regulations in the country.  Better stated, it goes "My body, my rules so long as I conform with the rules the state and federal government has set in place.".  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

And down the rabbit hole we go.

That's what you get when you support animals like that. You can't un-ring that bell 

16 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Ya, just like they should kick back voting rights, huh? 

Jim Crow was constitutional, right? 

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

That's what you get when you support animals like that. You can't un-ring that bell 

Ya, just like they should kick back voting rights, huh? 

Jim Crow was constitutional, right? 

Kind of waste deep in the hysteria this morning….no? 

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

Leaking a preliminary SCOTUS opinion is another piece of evidence that America is in a troubling decline.  I didn't think someone working for the Court would do that.  

Decline? From what? Jim Crow, Vietnam and Watergate? 

11 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

That's the point exactly--big picture, it's an incredibly complicated and nuanced discussion that the poli's break down to us v them.  

Claims it is a complicated and nuanced discussion then likes BMANs tweet where a poli breaks down to us v them

24 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Twitter sucks - example #7824

50 minutes ago, B-Man said:

They know what they're doing.  Conflate and hope people don't see through it.

What I hope happens is Alito denies that that is his opinion.  And then see where it goes.

29 minutes ago, 716er said:

Claims it is a complicated and nuanced discussion then likes BMANs tweet where a poli breaks down to us v them

I'm happy to correct the record if I "liked" a politician using us v them posted by any member of the PPP family.   Please, show me where that happened.  

It's a complicated and nuanced discussion.  We agree there?