Patriots trade their 5th round pick for Texans 6th and 7th round picks

Big Turk

Kind of a weird trade. Patriots get 2 picks back for their 5th, the Texans 6th and 7th round picks. Patriots didn't have a 7th this year.

Usually don't see these ahead of the draft as they typically depend who is on the board at the time of the pick.

A Texans 6th round pick is almost a 5th round pick because it is so high.

https://www.battleredblog.com/2022-nfl-draft/2022/4/25/23041672/houston-texans-trade-new-england-patriots-5th-round-pick-nfl-draft

Just days before the 2022 NFL Draft, Houston Texans general manager Nick Caserio has struck a deal with his former team, the New England Patriots.

Any guesses on which team he will be working for after he is fired?

• Haha (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

https://www.battleredblog.com/2022-nfl-draft/2022/4/25/23041672/houston-texans-trade-new-england-patriots-5th-round-pick-nfl-draft

The team he worked for for 19 years?

25 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Correct.  To put more context to this tade, the Pats traded back 13 spots from their 5th round pick in exchange for a 7th round pick.

Pats trade away to Texans:  Pick #170

Pats acquire from Texans:  Pick #183 and #245.

I would say this trade is fair, but slightly favors the Pats.  At that later point in the draft, the difference in quality of players isn't that great and the chances of them making the roster are about the same.  I doubt there's a statistic that would show the success rate of Player #170 vs. Player #183, but I would guess it wouldn't be much different.  So the Pats get a fairly equivalent pick, plus another flyer in the 7th round.  It certainly seems like a silly trade for the Texans to make at this point in time.  I could see it being made during the draft (as mentioned above) if there was a particular player targeted at that spot that the Texans really wanted and feared might get away, but why make that trade now?

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Correct.  To put more context to this tade, the Pats traded back 13 spots from their 5th round pick in exchange for a 7th round pick.

I would say this trade is fair, but slightly favors the Pats.  At that later point in the draft, the difference in quality of players isn't that great and the chances of them making the roster are about the same.  I doubt there's a statistic that would show the success rate of Player #170 vs. Player #183, but I would guess it wouldn't be much different.  So the Pats get a fairly equivalent pick, plus another flyer in the 7th round.  It certainly seems like a silly trade for the Texans to make at this point in time.  I could see it being made during the draft (as mentioned above) if there was a particular player targeted at that spot that the Texans really wanted and feared might get away, but why make that trade now?

Exactly right.  The chances of getting a starter that late aren't great.  The chances of getting a difference maker are even slimmer.

There's been statistical studies on this.  The 5th, 6th and 7th rounds are not loaded with talent.  Though there's usually a Pro Bowler or two buried in there somewhere.   But the odds of finding a Pro Bowler in the 7th round are pretty much the same as finding one in the 5th.  In either case, it's a long shot.

Belichick is effectively doubling his chances of getting a good player.  Or very nearly so.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

It really is a silly trade for the Texans, for one main reason: They're early in a rebuild. You'd think they'd want as many draft picks as possible. They're not like the Bills or Chiefs, saying to themselves that they don't think a 7th round pick will make the roster. For the Texans to be the ones giving up the extra pick, and to be doing it this far in advance, is just bizarre. 

Nick Cesario appears to have been out-gamed by his old chum Belichick on this one.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Kind of a weird trade. Patriots get 2 picks back for their 5th, the Texans 6th and 7th round picks. Patriots didn't have a 7th this year.

Usually don't see these ahead of the draft as they typically depend who is on the board at the time of the pick.

4-D Chess. Mere mortals like us can never understand.

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

Well said.  Players at that point in the draft all have about the same chance of success, so basically Belicheck picked up an extra 7th.

Maybe he gets lucky with that extra pick. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.