USFL - Generals vs Stallions

Steptide

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I like hockey and football. I'll watch this.

We love football! I liked their chances last time, but Covid proved untimely. 

This could be the new minor league where guys learn, grow and get noticed. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Jim Kelly looked like a football god when he played in the USFL….

Kinda like how Josh looks in the NFL….

What would have happened had Kelly gone right to the Bills?  Where would he be statistically on the NFL list?

He made the HOF anyway, that’s pretty phenomenal….

I have contemplated this numerous times over the years.  To be honest, I am not sure Jim's NFL career would have gone as well as it did, had he not rejected the Bills in 1983.  Not because he needed the USFL to perfect his game.... but because the Bills franchise was entering "complete trainwreck" mode at that point Kelly was drafted.  Sure, they finished 8-8 that season, with Joe Feguson at the helm, but that was coming off the fumes of what Chuck Knox had built. Wilson had a brief flirtation with successful football with Chuck Knox, but his miserly tendencies kicked in, and slammed that window shut, while it should have still been wide open.

It took Kelly snubbing, and almost shaming the Bills (or Ralph Wilson), into committing to be better. That is why I always contend that while Jim Kelly may not have been the "greatest Buffalo Bill" of all time, talent wise (that honor belongs to Simpson and Smith, in my opinion) he was, by far, the most important Buffalo Bill of all time. 

Of course, you can't definitively know what would have happened...but my feeling is, if Kelly had gone straight to the NFL, there is a good chance he might have still been sitting behind Joe Ferguson for a year or maybe even two.  And Ralph was just not into spending money at the time... without the public embarrassment of not being able to land Kelly, and suffering through back to back 2-14 seasons, Wilson may have been very content to just coast without being committed to winning, as had been his tendency for most of his stewardship of the franchise.   

I remember Joe Montana, after his career was over, reflecting that things could have gone much worse for him...if he had been drafted into another situation (say going to a franchise run by Norm Pollom and Hank Bullough, as opposed to Bill Walsh) we might not remember who he was.  I think that is something to consider in considering Kelly's career.  Going to the USFL was actually a blessing for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Augie said:

We love football! I liked their chances last time, but Covid proved untimely. 

This could be the new minor league where guys learn, grow and get noticed. 

10 hours ago, Steptide said:

I hope there's another like him in the usfl. These leagues never last long, but it'd be nice to have watchable football this time of year. 

I am not going to invest my time with this.  

When I think ok - maybe they can develop players - I quickly think about the top 2 guys from the XFL - PJ Walker and Cam Phillips

Cam Phillips still has only played 2 NFL games - both with Buffalo pre XFL.

PJ Walker has at least started in the NFL since the XFL, but has 2 TDs and 8 Ints in 2 starts and some mop up detail. 

These 2 were elite in the XFL against similar quality opponents and couldn’t transition to NFL skills.

There are very few guys that exited other leagues like the XFL and have done anything in the NFL - so I just do not see it as a legitimate growth level league - College Ball is a more talented pool.

I have tried in the past and after a few weeks these leagues drop off and die - so I am not going to invest in this - especially with the lawsuit hanging over it - I wonder if they will have to do some rebranding and if that impacts the recognition.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.