NFL GM Power Rankings (Brandon Beane/Sean McDermott ranked 1st)

MJS

NFL GM Power Rankings: Bills' Brandon Beane/Sean McDermott, Rams' Les Snead top the board

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-gm-power-rankings-bills-brandon-beane-sean-mcdermott-rams-les-snead-top-the-

High praise for Beane and McDermott from NFL.com in their NFL GM Power Rankings. Here are the top 5:

1) Brandon Beane/Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills

"The Bills' transformation since McDermott's hire in January 2017 could be taught in a college-level course on how to rebuild a franchise. McDermott helped to hire Beane in May of that year, and they've hit every right note since: from big trades (Stefon Diggs, moving up for Josh Allen) and savvy draft picks (Tre'Davious White, Dion Dawkins, Matt Milano) to knowing which veterans to reward (Jordan Poyer, Micah Hyde) and when to move on (John Brown, LeSean McCoy). The Bills have a defensive coach, yet prioritized building an offensive roster around Allen. They always seem to find value in free agency (SEE: this year's pickups of Jamison Crowder, O.J. Howard, Rodger Saffold, DaQuan Jones and Duke Johnson). No team is doing it better, and these two -- along with Allen -- deserve credit for helping to get funding for a new Bills stadium."

2) Les Snead, Los Angeles Rams

3) Kevin Colbert, Pittsburgh Steelers

4) Brian Gutekunst, Green Bay Packers

5) Jason Licht, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Interesting to have Beane / McDermott so high (I'm assuming they incldue McDermott since he predated Beane and had a significant hand in building the roster, especially key pieces like Tre White, Micah Hyde, and Jordan Poyer). I think there is no doubt that they have earned a ton of credit and respect around the league, and it is showing in rankings like this. I suppose I would say 1st is a little bit too high for them, but I can definitely get behind ranking them in the top 5. Go win a championship and earn that #1 spot!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I think that by the time they are done here, they will have a long list of awards/accolades. 

Like the articles states, they have made alot of good moves and few mistakes. An almost 'textbook', methodical approach to rebuilding a team from the ground up. 

The Pegulas deserve some credit for the hires, but also for stepping back and letting these guys do their thing. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We have great owners who are willing to invest what is needed to field a winning team.  Beane is clearly a top three GM in the NFL and McDermott has put together a top notch coaching staff that is able to develop home grown talent and create a great locker room with a culture of winning.  Lastly, we have a truly elite, franchise QB who has not reached his ceiling and is legitimately in the debate to be the best player in the NFL.  I have never been as optimistic about this franchise as I am right now.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, MJS said:

NFL GM Power Rankings: Bills' Brandon Beane/Sean McDermott, Rams' Les Snead top the board

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-gm-power-rankings-bills-brandon-beane-sean-mcdermott-rams-les-snead-top-the-

High praise for Beane and McDermott from NFL.com in their NFL GM Power Rankings. Here are the top 5:

1) Brandon Beane/Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills

"The Bills' transformation since McDermott's hire in January 2017 could be taught in a college-level course on how to rebuild a franchise. McDermott helped to hire Beane in May of that year, and they've hit every right note since: from big trades (Stefon Diggs, moving up for Josh Allen) and savvy draft picks (Tre'Davious White, Dion Dawkins, Matt Milano) to knowing which veterans to reward (Jordan Poyer, Micah Hyde) and when to move on (John Brown, LeSean McCoy). The Bills have a defensive coach, yet prioritized building an offensive roster around Allen. They always seem to find value in free agency (SEE: this year's pickups of Jamison Crowder, O.J. Howard, Rodger Saffold, DaQuan Jones and Duke Johnson). No team is doing it better, and these two -- along with Allen -- deserve credit for helping to get funding for a new Bills stadium."

2) Les Snead, Los Angeles Rams

3) Kevin Colbert, Pittsburgh Steelers

4) Brian Gutekunst, Green Bay Packers

5) Jason Licht, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Interesting to have Beane / McDermott so high (I'm assuming they incldue McDermott since he predated Beane and had a significant hand in building the roster, especially key pieces like Tre White, Micah Hyde, and Jordan Poyer). I think there is no doubt that they have earned a ton of credit and respect around the league, and it is showing in rankings like this. I suppose I would say 1st is a little bit too high for them, but I can definitely get behind ranking them in the top 5. Go win a championship and earn that #1 spot!

Aside from drafting Josh Allen, 2017 is by far the Bills best year of McBeane… I say McBeane because I feel certain Beane was ghost writing most of the moves. It was the two of them, talking, figuring things out.

Strangely, since 2017 they haven’t really done that well…. Maybe this year’s FAs and draft picks will be a comeback year for McBeane. They certainly changed the roster enough to have a huge impact. It will will be interesting to judge all five years after the completion of this season. Even though the last two drafts (21 & 22) will be very difficult to judge still. Free agency won’t though… This year it really is all about the rebuilt defensive line. How well will our DL play this year? That could be the answer to question who will win the Super Bowl? The Bills will need a lot from Von, Jones, Settle, Groot, Basham and AJ…. And of course Ed. I think perhaps Shaq and Jordan are here to win a Super Bowl as well. If they put their energy into training, their two pretty decent players…

I’d put the packers #1 except for one very important thing; they stink in the playoffs. The whole gosh darn rotten team.

Rogers included.

It is impressive how they build their team and win in the regular season though… Even though their division stinks. They still win some pretty big matchups during the regular season (only to look like crap in the playoffs though)

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I disagree that they've prioritized building an offensive roster. They did prioritize getting a franchise QB and have done enough on offense, but it seems most of their high draft picks and FA acquisitions have been on defense.

You can say that, but they have completely turned over the roster on offense and upgraded at virtually every position. We also have two elite superstars on offense with Allen and Diggs, plus budding stars in Davis and Knox.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, MJS said:

You can say that, but they have completely turned over the roster on offense and upgraded at virtually every position. We also have two elite superstars on offense with Allen and Diggs, plus budding stars in Davis and Knox.

I agree, I think it's just a mischaracterization of their approach.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I love how les Snead is on there. If bojo doesn’t botch a punt in a blizzard, Green Bay is probably playing for a SB and Les is out of a job for mortgaging the future of that franchise. 

But Green Bay always chokes in the playoffs, so it was meant to be anyway.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

It’s historically been special teams for them as well, especially since Rodgers has been there. Just goes to show that teams matter when it comes to roster construction. 

Rodgers wasn't doing his team any favors either. He certainly didn't look like the MVP in that game to me.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, MJS said:

Hard to argue. They've been brilliant. Anyone putting them outside the top three or so is kidding himself.

They've been consistently smart. Consistently using best practices. We're incredibly lucky to have them.

11 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Aside from drafting Josh Allen, 2017 is by far the Bills best year of McBeane… I say McBeane because I feel certain Beane was ghost writing most of the moves. It was the two of them, talking, figuring things out.

Strangely, since 2017 they haven’t really done that well…. Maybe this year’s FAs and draft picks will be a comeback year for McBeane. They certainly changed the roster enough to have a huge impact. It will will be interesting to judge all five years after the completion of this season. Even though the last two drafts (21 & 22) will be very difficult to judge still. Free agency won’t though… This year it really is all about the rebuilt defensive line. How well will our DL play this year? That could be the answer to question who will win the Super Bowl? The Bills will need a lot from Von, Jones, Settle, Groot, Basham and AJ…. And of course Ed. I think perhaps Shaq and Jordan are here to win a Super Bowl as well. If they put their energy into training, their two pretty decent players…

That being sure Beane was working with McDermott while he was actually still in Carolina with no way to know McDermott might be able to bring him in, and knowing that he'd be committing a jailable offense by sharing his corporation's own information thing? Don't worry about it. Lots of otherwise intelligent people are convinced of nutty things. It's part of being human.

But they actually have done quite well since 2018, quite well. Not incredibly, but consistently solid with few outright mistakes and a lot of useful guys picked right into the later rounds. Too early to judge a lot of it yet, but an awful lot of starters on one of the league's best teams have been acquired in those drafts.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.