5th year option, what positions constitute it the most?

Tipster19

If you use your 1st rd pick then I think that there is probably just a few positions that utilizes the 5th year option the best. Not all the positions (QB) that I suggest are going to be in play for the Bills this year but more importantly the positions that I don’t suggest are probably the positions one can eliminate the Bills from using their 1st rd pick in this year’s draft.

1. QB

2. CB

3. DL

4. OL

5. WR 

50 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

If you use your 1st rd pick then I think that there is probably just a few positions that utilizes the 5th year option the best. Not all the positions (QB) that I suggest are going to be in play for the Bills this year but more importantly the positions that I don’t suggest are probably the positions one can eliminate the Bills from using their 1st rd pick in this year’s draft.

1. QB

2. CB

3. DL

4. OL

5. WR 

What about DE if you get a good pass rushing DE i'd say a 5th year option would be totally worth using on them .

T  Master the OP wrote. DL so that encompasses DE as well as DT.  To answer you’re question, sure.  Any high value big ticket position is pounded to get the 5th year if for no other reason as a negotiating tactic while the agent and GM work out an extension.

If the agent is a guy like Rosenhaus, you also have the tag as a second year option for previous 1st rounders.

An interesting point discussed in the off season of topics is on MTC on NFLR, they cited the last several years the low number of 5th year options are exercised for guys picked in the 20s-32.  They rattled them off last season for several years.  Just kind of N interesting point as they contrasted guys taken in the top 20 and high rate exercised consistently year over year.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I think an interesting focus would be which positions get their 5th year options picked up the most. 

I’d be interested in that as well. What a great stat that is. 

As much as I would like to see the Bills upgrade other positions that I didn’t list, like it or not I’d say CB should be the #1 focus. Even if the Bills have to move up for a blue chip prospect at this position I would be all for it as long as the prospect is a big time playmaker, otherwise I would think that they would just stand pat and take best available CB.

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

1. QB

2. CB

3. DL

4. OL

5. WR 

18 minutes ago, T master said:

What about DE if you get a good pass rushing DE i'd say a 5th year option would be totally worth using on them .

Tipster and T Master aren’t the same person??? 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

T  Master the OP wrote. DL so that encompasses DE as well as DT.  To answer you’re question, sure.  Any high value big ticket position is pounded to get the 5th year if for no other reason as a negotiating tactic while the agent and GM work out an extension.

If the agent is a guy like Rosenhaus, you also have the tag as a second year option for previous 1st rounders.

I’m not getting this part about Rosenhaus. Could you explain a bit, sounds very interesting.

An interesting point discussed in the off season of topics is on MTC on NFLR, they cited the last several years the low number of 5th year options are exercised for guys picked in the 20s-32.  They rattled them off last season for several years.  Just kind of N interesting point as they contrasted guys taken in the top 20 and high rate exercised consistently year over year.

I would love to read that article! Thanks, great stuff!

If you know you nailed it with a QB, they probably never get the 5th year. They get a new deal. See Mayfield, Baker. Same with most positions, but especially QB. 

Nail it down before the price goes up!!!

QB 

OT 

Pass rusher 

CB 

WR

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

If you know you nailed it with a QB, they probably never get the 5th year. They get a new deal. See Mayfield, Baker. Same with most positions, but especially QB. 

Allen's option WAS picked up before he was extended

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

This just seems like a different way to phrase the question "what are the premier positions in the draft?"

Bucky Brooks was intimating that if you looked at this draft regardless of position, cornerbacks and safeties would be at the top of this draft. In other words, he’s saying that DL and OL are more desired positions. I don’t know if they are just plain out more valuable or just harder to find?

I know the safety position isn’t included in most valuable position lists but CB certainly does. A great shutdown corner is worth their weight in gold in the NFL.

If you’re building a team and you have an outside CB and a DE with the same exact grade, and your needs are the same,  do you take the DL?

Thoughts?

I take the DL but really the only reason I think that is I love great DL… I guess even more than a shutdown corner. Though I cannot come up with a logical reason why.

Just now, Augie said:

Did he play under it, or was it a placeholder? 

I don't think that was the question of the OP tho 

Which position constitutes it... Or basically which positions should be considered

Seeing as long term hundred + million dollar deals take time to ink out.. QB certainly constitutes it .. beane exercising it certainly believed it also was worthwhile in the moment

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think that was the question of the OP tho 

Which position constitutes it... Or basically which positions should be considered

Seeing as long term hundred + million dollar deals take time to ink out.. QB certainly constitutes it .. beane exercising it certainly believed it also was worthwhile in the moment

You be you….

We KNEW what the deal was with Josh. It would be a long term deal, not a way to buy time until we decided if he could be the guy. I was speaking to the essence of the question, while it could be taken more literally. I get that. Do you get what I’m saying? We KNEW, the Browns did not. 

30 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

Bucky Brooks was intimating that if you looked at this draft regardless of position, cornerbacks and safeties would be at the top of this draft. In other words, he’s saying that DL and OL are more desired positions. I don’t know if they are just plain out more valuable or just harder to find?

I know the safety position isn’t included in most valuable position lists but CB certainly does. A great shutdown corner is worth their weight in gold in the NFL.

If you’re building a team and you have an outside CB and a DE with the same exact grade, and your needs are the same,  do you take the DL?

Thoughts?

I take the DL but really the only reason I think that is I love great DL… I guess even more than a shutdown corner. Though I cannot come up with a logical reason why.

Yeah, the general consensus is still to take the DE. First priority is hitting the QB. Everything else trickles down from there.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Augie said:

You be you….

We KNEW what the deal was with Josh. It would be a long term deal, not a way to buy time until we decided if he could be the guy. I was speaking to the essence of the question, while it could be taken more literally. I get that. Do you get what I’m saying? We KNEW, the Browns did not. 

I understand that

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.