Inflation rockets to 41-year high

Punching Bag

https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/inflation-rockets-to-41-year-high-4756545/

Inflation accelerated to 8.5% in March from a year earlier — the highest rate since 1981 — with sharp rises in the cost of fuel and food hitting consumers' wallets, according to new Labor Department data. A large chunk of the consumer price surge is a result of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, which sent fuel prices spiking last month, with U.S. gas prices briefly hitting a high of $4.33. But supply chain snarls, booming consumer demand and rising wages and housing costs are also pushing up inflation.

Is anyone surprised about this?  I see prices at same stores, same locations, exactly same items, going 15-20% up since last year.  Some manufactures are reducing sizes while trying to make packages look same size.  Some may be due to difficulty in finding workers (minimum wage went up but in this area most stores were paying more than minimum already).

18 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Wages are up... That's a good thing.  Right?

Awesome! Gonna be a millionaire in a few years when I retire! 

Indeed, my 401k is also fine, and 10 years from now (60), retirement is feasible.  I will keep working until they wheel me out feet first, but at some point the guardrails of corporate structure, at this point it's 27 years for me, wear on you.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And so many Retail and Gas companies reporting record profits. Not revenue. Profits.

The prices went up VERY FAST, and now they are coming back down v e r y    s l o w l y…..

No, I’m not at all surprised by any of it. You can’t just print money without consequences, and I’ll leave it at that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Also note that this inflation is worldwide, not just here. We had a good run.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Yep.  Happens when societies come out of situations like wars or pandemics.  People don’t spend during them, and afterward you have pent up demand for goods that is greater than supply.  Thus inflation.

Yeah, there have to be repercussions from all that was done to keep things from collapsing when everything was ground to a halt during the pandemic.

• Like (+1) 1

the grocery store eek......practically everything at the "99 cents store" is now $1.29 and that's just one example.  Meat prices are waaay higher ..supply chain issues......the  gas prices are making folks suffer.

Im buckled in for the ride but times are tough for many. Not just here. Imagine if you lived in Russia or Ukraine 😞

18 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah, there have to be repercussions from all that was done to keep things from collapsing when everything was ground to a halt during the pandemic.

The Fed will get more aggressive easing rates and such to try and help.  But other inflated costs like gas are very multi factorial; can’t expect government to wave a magic wand and have everything the way you want.

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ve not read that in quite some time. Does it have anything to do with a middle finger? 

Lol... no, but its a legit ask for sure. Just saw a pair on the feeders in the last 5 minutes.

1 minute ago, T&C said:

Lol... no, but its a legit ask for sure. Just saw a pair on the feeders in the last 5 minutes.

When we lived in Hilton Head, SC we used to get Painted Buntings at the feeder. Amazingly beautiful birds. Somebody actually gave us a painting of them for our wedding, oddly enough. Reminded me of Goldfinches growing up, but the Crayola 64 pack version. When we had the most Painted Buntings we lived on……wait for it……Goldfinch Lane. 

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Painted_Bunting/overview

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/inflation-rockets-to-41-year-high-4756545/

Is anyone surprised about this?  I see prices at same stores, same locations, exactly same items, going 15-20% up since last year.  Some manufactures are reducing sizes while trying to make packages look same size.  Some may be due to difficulty in finding workers (minimum wage went up but in this area most stores were paying more than minimum already).

image.png.f24b9498da6e770050122989b34913e0.png

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

When we lived in Hilton Head, SC we used to get Painted Buntings at the feeder. Amazingly beautiful birds. Somebody actually gave us a painting of them for our wedding, oddly enough. Reminded me of Goldfinches growing up, but the Crayola 64 pack version. When we had the most Painted Buntings we lived on……wait for it……Goldfinch Lane. 

This one is around the size of a finch... it could be in the Bunting family but I just haven't seen an actual pic of it anywhere. Maybe I'm starting a new Jurassic park here.

4 hours ago, Augie said:

Bird seed @ Costco is up almost 75%, in the past year.  We see an occasional Indigo Bunting in VA.  Beautiful birds.

Right now, the red crested blackbirds, are cleaning us out.  Can't wait for them to migrate, and give us a break.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.