Am I the only one who hasn't completely given up on Zack Moss?

Logic

12 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Moss was hopefully hurt or out of shape last season or both.  He looked nothing like a professional football player when he played.

That’s a little harsh…I mean, the uniform seemed to fit well and everything.

12 hours ago, unbillievable said:

I have a feeling that Singletary will get traded, Moss will be a healthy scratch, and a rookie plus Duke will be the backfield.

How is that’s feeling?  Sounds like a random guess 

13 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I hope something clicks for him.  Have a feeling we are drafting a RB this year and Moss will be the weekly healthy scratch

If they draft a RB which I agree good chance will happen, doubt he's even on the roster.  Either him or Jonson will be gone and the other one left will likely be inactive.  Of the two I give Johnson a better chance of surviving.

We've seen players turn it around, and we've seen players who needed a couple years before showing solid improvement.

I'll judge Moss at the end of training camp/pre-season. I always viewed Moss as more of a bowling ball RB. Hit the gap and run over anything in your way. Hopefully a new OL scheme/Coach and upgrades on the OL will improve all the RBs on our roster.

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

His vision is poor imo.  That is really needed as a RB lol

I agree with this statement, but I am of the belief that this can be fixed with repetition. The truth is, we were not running the ball enough last year, especially early in the season and that affected the run game as a whole. With enough reps, I believe Moss will get better at accelerating through the hole.

• Like (+1) 1

What others are saying about his "vision" is accurate. I don't recall what game it was but I saw a video breakdown where the O line did their job and opened up some nice running lanes. Multiple time Moss missed the hole and ran into a wall. He didn't play much after that game.

Singletary played well when he was featured. At times I thought we had TT out there. I still want to see a major upgrade behind him.

Edited by bmur66

6 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

You need to lighten up.  People are allowed to voice an opinion contrary to yours.

Many believe Moss lacks what it takes to be an effective NFL caliber running back.  No need for such personal attacks to other posters.

If you want to start a thread, put on your big boy pants and man up.

Since you don't like one word responses, I hope this response meets your standards.

And to answer your original question...yes.

The post to which you're replying is an inside joke with a friend of mine.

Take your own advice.

• Like (+1) 1

Moss's "promising" rookie season was worse than Singletary's sophomore slump season. Moss's sophomore season was less of a slump and more of a disaster (even accounting for the shoddy O-line). 

His play should hopefully improve this season, but his ceiling seems to be mediocre RB2.  

RB2 is one of the least valuable positions on the roster, so can't say that I care one way or the other if we try to replace him this offseason or give him more time. 

1 minute ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Moss's "promising" rookie season was worse than Singletary's sophomore slump season. Moss's sophomore season was less of a slump and more of a disaster (even accounting for the shoddy O-line). 

His play should hopefully improve this season, but his ceiling seems to be mediocre RB2.  

RB2 is one of the least valuable positions on the roster, so can't say that I care one way or the other if we try to replace him this offseason or give him more time. 

Yep - RB2 is usually someone on a rookie contract so... he needs to find a niche.  They tried short yardage back but between him not having the juice and the offensive line being incapable of moving anyone up the middle, they tended to lean on allen outside the hashes in those situations.  

The one cut ability is there, he can catch, etc.  I dunno what his issue was last year though - apprehensive and just slow.  Speed can be learned, or at least some burst can be learned.  Whether our line is capable of creating the necessary cutback lanes in zone is where I'm concerned.  Losing feliciano and williams honestly helps, as both were just so bad as backside guards and tackles in zone.  

IMO, this is his make-or-break year. In a slight parallel, I had given up on Knox at this time last year but he did have a very good 2021. Similarly, I am hoping Moss also plays better. Two things though - the OL still needs upgrade and I am hoping Beane is not done yet. Saffold is better at run blocking but we need an upgrade at RT. Secondly, Moss doesnt look like he can be the feature back in case of a Singletary injury. So we still need a Plan B for the overall RB room. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Fan in Chicago said:

IMO, this is his make-or-break year. In a slight parallel, I had given up on Knox at this time last year but he did have a very good 2021. Similarly, I am hoping Moss also plays better. Two things though - the OL still needs upgrade and I am hoping Beane is not done yet. Saffold is better at run blocking but we need an upgrade at RT. Secondly, Moss doesnt look like he can be the feature back in case of a Singletary injury. So we still need a Plan B for the overall RB room. 

Yep. Lots of folks gave up on both Singletary AND Knox prior to their third seasons, and both played pivotal roles in the Bills winning another AFC East title.

I'm not saying Moss is a sure thing to have a bounce-back year three, but I think it's more likely than unlikely.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Vickveto said:

Ford gets paid too much for the staff not to  believe in him. he would be cut or restructured by now. Brown was selected in the third round you have to bet on his improvement. Getting a day one top ten running back or Another quality speed receiver is worth more to us in the first two rounds.

but  we will probably draft a linebacker in the first round and trade Edmonds on draft day.

Ford is on a rookie contract, which is probably the only reason he is still there. Rookie contracts cannot be renegotiated or altered in any way until the final game of year three. 

Edited by chris heff

Something else was going on with Moss last year. Wasn’t he a healthy scratch opening day? Could be bad practice habits, bad attitude, who knows. Just seems the coaching staff lost faith in him very early on.

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

It wasn't vision.  The offensive line was absolute trash for much of last year.  

If that were the case, why was Singletary so successful the last six games or so.  I was all for him in 2020, but he just couldn’t punch through hole and the line always gets blamed.

With Saffold, Brown, Dawkins and Morse, we have four of the five slots set.  Bates and Boettger are going to duke it  out unless we take a G in the second or third.

FWIW, I still love the Syracuse article last week moving up to the Giants pick for Sauce.  It’s what this team needs to get to final step.

10 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Then why were you whining about one word responses?

I just think they're a silly waste of time that does nothing to further the discourse.

I made a thoughtful post ending in the question "if you've given up on him, why? If you don't think he can improve, why not?".

So to me, it seemed reasonable that a more useful response than "yes" would have been one that made even a short, one sentence attempt to answer one of those questions or explain one's opinion. If you're interested enough to read the post and respond to it, it seems reasonable to me that you'd be interested enough to explain your position -- however cursory or brief that explanation may be.

Of course, you ultimately have the freedom to give a one word response that offers no detail, just as I have the freedom to call that one word response a waste of time that does nothing to further the discussion.