Bills restructure Ryan Bates contract

YoloinOhio

Ok with Diggs now back in SPOTRAC and this restructure already shown.  Bates currently holding a 1.45M base this year....

Bills have 8.2M in space this year.  Take 2.2M off for Rookies at this point and you have 6M roughly in space. (65 players on Contract, maybe 8 coming via Draft would make this 73 players on contract.) So have 17 spots open (historically been about 13 UDFA signed) so there is roughly 4 spots that could still get UFAs into (yes I know they could go with a Higher UDFA class as well).

Then you have the remaining Cap Space Tickets

Edmunds Extension - Likely saves another 5M this year

White Base to Bonus - Saves roughly 4M this year

Dawkins Base to Bonus - Saves roughly 4M this year

Edmunds Trade - saves 12.7M this year

Poyer Trade - saves 6.6M this year

Poyer Extension - Laves roughly 4M this year (Max)

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Billsbuff said:

Browns fans think Denzel Ward could be on the move.  In the final year of his contract and they can't pay him for a new deal.  Might cost a 1st or 2nd (much more likely the 2nd).

Not going to give a premier pick and a 19M AAV contract on this Defense YET again.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Ok with Diggs now back in SPOTRAC and this restructure already shown.  Bates currently holding a 1.45M base this year....

Bills have 8.2M in space this year.  Take 2.2M off for Rookies at this point and you have 6M roughly in space. 

Then you have the remaining Cap Space Tickets

Edmunds Extension - Likely saves another 5M this year

White Base to Bonus - Saves roughly 4M this year

Dawkins Base to Bonus - Saves roughly 4M this year

Edmunds Trade - saves 12.7M this year

Poyer Trade - saves 6.6M this year

Poyer Extension - Laves roughly 4M this year (Max)

Not specifically advocating for any of these but dang none of these are offensively bad scenarios. I want Beane to file my taxes

1 minute ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Not specifically advocating for any of these but dang none of these are offensively bad scenarios. I want Beane to file my taxes

Beane and Overdorf are magicians.  It is amazing how Overdorf when given the full set of tools is a master with the contract structures.  Night and Day his performance under Terry and Ralph/Littman

• Agree 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Learn something new everyday.  Granted the last time I really looked into the RFA rules was during the Clay offersheet year, but man I could have Swore they were frozen as is for a Year (at least during the Clay times)

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I didnt think they could touch a matched RFA contact for at least a year?

Obviously this is a legal thing to do. I just don’t see how it can be either. Why even attempt to sign a RFA when it can be automatically matched and then restructured a short time later?

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

Obviously this is a legal thing to do. I just don’t see how it can be either. Why even attempt to sign a RFA when it can be automatically matched and then restructured a short time later?

So that other teams are honest.  You make a realistic offer that you want. 

Allowing the parties to agree on adjustments after the fact just keeps other teams from doing bogus poison pill offers - that doesn't help the players or original owners.

The player and his agent have to be willing at the same time. If they would've rather moved on, then all they have to do is reject renegotiation. In this case, it certainly appears that "Rick" wanted to be here and was more than happy to simply know his true value around the league.

39 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Beane and Overdorf are magicians.  It is amazing how Overdorf when given the full set of tools is a master with the contract structures.  Night and Day his performance under Terry and Ralph/Littman

Its about you is willing to write the checks not write the contracts. 

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Honestly it's news to me that you can do this - I thought you were "stuck" with the contract an RFA signs once you match it.

I am not sure I think you should be able to. IMO if you match an RFA deal to keep a guy then for that season at least you should not be able to touch the contract. So in Bates's case the Bills should be prevented from restructuring until the opening of the 2023 league year otherwise it is tough for a team really to lure away an RFA. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure I think you should be able to. IMO if you match an RFA deal to keep a guy then for that season at least you should not be able to touch the contract. So in Bates's case the Bills should be prevented from restructuring until the opening of the 2023 league year otherwise it is tough for a team really to lure away an RFA. 

It does seem like a bit of a loophole. Although I guess the Bears could’ve guaranteed more of it if they wanted to limit the Bills’ flexibility there.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

You do have a point.  We’re all happy that Bates is back, but for an RFA who’s trying to get the best contract it’s definitely a deterrent to other teams getting involved if the matching team can restructure the contract immediately.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.