Saints-Eagles Trade Draft Picks

Process

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

I think that it shows what I have said numerous times. This is the worst draft since the one with EJ Manuel. 

In any case, the Eagles kicked ass imo.

It's the worst top half of round 1 since then, definitely (and the worst QB class). My #5 overall grade this year, Sauce Gardner, would have been my #10 overall grade last year. My #10 grade this year would have been #16 last year. 

I do genuinely think though that the cliche "the strength of this draft is day 2" which seems to get trotted out every year, is definitely true this year. I normally end up with my 100th overall player being an early to mid 4th round grade. This year I have 102 guys with a grade in the first three rounds. So it does genuinely have some depth.

But it lacks those blue chippers. Which is why you see a guy like Travon Walker who is all measurables and potential rather than production suddenly talked about as a possible top 5 pick. Exactly the same happened in 2013 when the likes of Dion Jordan and Ziggy Ansah got overdrafted in the top 5 based on what they "could be" not what they were. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, mannc said:

How does it show the lack of talent in this draft?  The Saints just traded next year's first and a second to gain another first rounder this year...It makes sense for the Eagles because having three number ones can make their fifth-year option decisions very difficult...  

To clarify, I think it shows the lack of top tier talent at certain positions.  It's a great draft if you need OL, WR, or DB, but it's a mess if you want other positions.  For the Bills, I'd much rather have multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks than a 1st round pick in this draft.

So again, I think the Eagles are looking for certain positions and don't see this draft as one to fill it with.  The Saints on the other hand, just have a crazy GM, and possibly are looking to fill those positions.

Also, I wonder if another trade is coming.  It seems odd to me to make a trade for middle round 1 picks, not knowing who will be available.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

To clarify, I think it shows the lack of top tier talent at certain positions.  It's a great draft if you need OL, WR, or DB, but it's a mess if you want other positions.  For the Bills, I'd much rather have multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks than a 1st round pick in this draft.

So again, I think the Eagles are looking for certain positions and don't see this draft as one to fill it with.  The Saints on the other hand, just have a crazy GM, and possibly are looking to fill those positions.

Also, I wonder if another trade is coming.  It seems odd to me to make a trade for middle round 1 picks, not knowing who will be available.

I agree with this.  Seems crazy to me...I mean, the Saints have absolutely no idea who's going to be available in the middle of the round.  The trade seems to make much more sense for Philly.

42 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I’d like this as an Eagles fan. I feel it’s very likely that 2023rd first ends up being much higher than either of the two picks they gave up. A Sean Payton-less team led by Jameis Winston? I don’t like those odds. 

True, true...but it is the NFC😄

• Like (+1) 1

I think this is all about QBs.

I think the Eagles want to make sure to have ammo next year for a QB in case Hurts doesn't work out.

I think the Saints package the two 1sts to jump in front of Carolina and take a QB.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I think the Eagles want to make sure to have ammo next year for a QB in case Hurts doesn't work out.

I think the Saints package the two 1sts to jump in front of Carolina and take a QB.

Only thing that would make sense. Trying to get in position to make a move for a QB. Why make a trade for a mid first round pick when you don't know who will be there?

4 minutes ago, Process said:

Only thing that would make sense. Trying to get in position to make a move for a QB. Why make a trade for a mid first round pick when you don't know who will be there?

Agreed. If they get up to pick five, which they now have the ammo to do, they not only likely get their choice of QBs, they also get to prevent their division rival from potentially getting whatever QB they pick. 

Only question I have is whether it's Willis or Pickett.

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

Agreed. If they get up to pick five, which they now have the ammo to do, they not only likely get their choice of QBs, they also get to prevent their division rival from potentially getting whatever QB they pick. 

Only question I have is whether it's Willis or Pickett.

And I can see the Giants being willing to do that, but not until draft night and not if Sauce is still there. I think they'd pick Sauce at #5. But if Sauce has gone then they are using their first pick on an offensive tackle and I think any of the 4 are going to net you a result this year. So even if Carolina ends up taking one in front of them at #6 (because say the Saints have picked Carolina's guy at QB) there is still going to be good tackle options at #7. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And I can see the Giants being willing to do that, but not until draft night and not if Sauce is still there. I think they'd pick Sauce at #5. But if Sauce has gone then they are using their first pick on an offensive tackle and I think any of the 4 are going to net you a result this year. So even if Carolina ends up taking one in front of them at #6 (because say the Saints have picked Carolina's guy at QB) there is still going to be good tackle options at #7. 

It can also be Jets if their top guys are gone at 4 or even Texans (if Saints add their 2nd round).

All these trades make some sort of sense imo. It will be weird on Saints part but I don't pretend that I understand what is their plan anyway so...

1 hour ago, KennyL said:

I was actually thinking the Eagles would be a good trade partner to move into the mid teens if McDuffie was still there.  

Yep, same here...and that boat has now sailed.   I guess that the other Washington CB, Kyler Gordon might be a target at #25 now.    

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Agree. Picks #16 and 19 for pick #5. Won’t happen until the draft to freeze Carolina at #6

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.