Who are your favorite early and mid-to-late round cornerbacks in the draft, and why?

Logic

Now that the meat of free agency is over with -- there will be a few more bargain signings, I'm sure, but they hay is mostly in the barn -- I'm ready to turn my attention to the draft. At this point, even if/when Beane signs a veteran CB, I fully expect the Bills to use a high pick or two on cornerbacks. It wouldn't even surprise me if they doubled up on CBs this year the way they did with EDGE and OTs last year.

I'm still learning about all of the cornerbacks as I write this. Early on, with much more reading and learning to be done, I like:

Early pick (round 1): Andrew Booth - Thick, physical, well-built. At his best in zone coverage, with good closing speed and quickness. Also has the athleticism to effectively play man when called upon. More than willing to mix it up in the run game. Aggressive tackler.

Mid-to-Late pick (round 3): Cam Taylor-Britt - I could copy and paste most of what I wrote about Booth. The key difference is that Taylor-Britt appears to lack the athleticism and quickness to play man coverage as effectively as Booth. Scouts say he's a bit of a side-shuffler rather than back-peddler, which likely means he's prone to getting beat by deep speed and double moves. Still, in the Frazier/McDermott defense, seems like he could more than hold his own and be a capable CB2. At worst, appears to have the size and physicality to switch to safety if he flames out at corner, though I don't think he will.

Who do you like at corner early? Who do you like later on? Why?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There are two guys who i think are really intriguing as later round picks. Unfortunately, both seem to be shooting up the draft boards. 

1) Zyon McCollum CB Sam Houston State. RAS score if off the charts. been a ball hawk his entire career. 6'4 and 200lbs. 

Zyon McCollum, CB, Sam Houston State University | 2021 NFL Draft Prospect Official Highlights - Bing video

2) Jaylen Armour Davis CB Alabama 6'1 192 lbs. RAS about 9.5. Comes from a really good program. Sub 4.4 speed. Also, good stats. 3 picks this year in his first year as a starter at Alabama. 

“1st year starter star”Jaylen Armour Davis Alabama Highlights - Bing video

no S at pick 25 as  I want J Williams - if gone I hope we trade down and get another second or third rounder for WR and CB or CB and WR -  as far as CB (other than character) I want the best in class:

SEC (top competition), long arms 32+ and the best 40 time...then comes smarts/feel for the game. tackling and hip-turn fluidity.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Now that the meat of free agency is over with -- there will be a few more bargain signings, I'm sure, but they hay is mostly in the barn -- I'm ready to turn my attention to the draft. At this point, even if/when Beane signs a veteran CB, I fully expect the Bills to use a high pick or two on cornerbacks. It wouldn't even surprise me if they doubled up on CBs this year the way they did with EDGE and OTs last year.

I'm still learning about all of the cornerbacks as I write this. Early on, with much more reading and learning to be done, I like:

Early pick (round 1): Andrew Booth - Thick, physical, well-built. At his best in zone coverage, with good closing speed and quickness. Also has the athleticism to effectively play man when called upon. More than willing to mix it up in the run game. Aggressive tackler.

Mid-to-Late pick (round 3): Cam Taylor-Britt - I could copy and paste most of what I wrote about Booth. The key difference is that Taylor-Britt appears to lack the athleticism and quickness to play man coverage as effectively as Booth. Scouts say he's a bit of a side-shuffler rather than back-peddler, which likely means he's prone to getting beat by deep speed and double moves. Still, in the Frazier/McDermott defense, seems like he could more than hold his own and be a capable CB2. At worst, appears to have the size and physicality to switch to safety if he flames out at corner, though I don't think he will.

I think Booth is about the best case scenario if we stick with our pick and take a CB. If he's gone, Kaiir Elam is may be the next best option.  I also like Taylor-Britt if we ended up going IOL and LB/WR in the first two rounds.

Edited by DasNootz
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I honestly don't know enough about college football to predict. I do know that the front and back of a defense have to work together. If the pass rush doesn't get there, the DB's and LB's are forced to keep receivers covered longer. If the back end doesn't keep receivers covered longer, the pass rushers don't have enough time to get to the QB. We just signed Miller. Let's take full advantage of his skills and shore up the very important CB2 spot. Then let's try to shore up the craterous hole that is the right side of our OL so we can both keep Allen standing and pound the rock. I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a WR, but it's not as urgent right now and I'm fine with giving Gabe Davis a shot at a starting job. He's earned it. Let's not keep burying him on the depth chart.

My dark horse is Kyler Gordon, but I don't know if he'll be able to start right away.

3 hours ago, Mij yllek said:

Will everyone freak out completely if the Bills pick Daxton Hill S Michigan at #25?

Mid round pick - Tariq Castro-Fields CB Penn St.

What would they do with Hill?  He isn’t beating out Hyde or Poyer this year and Taron Johnson is fine covering slot receivers.  Hill has no experience in covering outside receivers.

if they were set at Corner for this year, maybe, but I would not like this idea.

I think that Kyler Gordon may be the best CB that is left at 25.  Think he would be a decent fit. 

As tempting as a top WR prospect would be, I can’t see how they fill a starting CB position early in the year if White is out and the defer CB to 2nd or later. Nightmare is starting the season with Dane Jackson and Siran Neal or 2nd round (or later) rookie.  That would negate most of the expected improvements in pass rush.

4 hours ago, Logic said:

I don’t want a first round corner, but I agree with both of these guys that you have. 

9 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

What would they do with Hill?  He isn’t beating out Hyde or Poyer this year and Taron Johnson is fine covering slot receivers.  Hill has no experience in covering outside receivers.

if they were set at Corner for this year, maybe, but I would not like this idea.

I think that Kyler Gordon may be the best CB that is left at 25.  Think he would be a decent fit. 

As tempting as a top WR prospect would be, I can’t see how they fill a starting CB position early in the year if White is out and the defer CB to 2nd or later. Nightmare is starting the season with Dane Jackson and Siran Neal or 2nd round (or later) rookie.  That would negate most of the expected improvements in pass rush.

So the only way to get a good corner is to take one in the first?  Sorry…don’t agree. McD develops DBs better than anyone in the league and you can get Taylor-Britt, Castro-Fields, Woolen, or maybe even Mccreary later and they would still be immediate upgrades at CB2. 

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I don’t want a first round corner, but I agree with both of these guys that you have. 

I agree. I'd prefer a WR, personally.

I'm just sort of resigning myself to a 1st round CB. Hopefully I'm wrong. I, like you, think that McDermott's scheme and his coach-em-up ability with DBs mean he can get a CB in rounds 2-5 who can very capably start -- and excel -- at CB2.

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

So the only way to get a good corner is to take one in the first?  Sorry…don’t agree. McD develops DBs better than anyone in the league and you can get Taylor-Britt, Castro-Fields, Woolen, or maybe even Mccreary later and they would still be immediate upgrades at CB2. 

Problem is that it is likely that the rookie will have play a lot early - or Siran Neal will.  I just expect White to miss the first part of the season and I don’t want to see Jackson and a 2nd/3rd round rookie or Neal lining up as starters.  They don’t have time to “develop” a 2nd or later round rookie.  Someone has to play the first month or two if White is out.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I’ve read some stuff about scouts wanting to make Hill a full time corner. 

First round corner I’d want Elam or Booth.

Mid round CB Josh Williams from Fayetteville State.

Thanks @Logic was going to post something very similar. I think there is a decent chance if we don't sign a vet, that we draft 2. I would like to hear some of the ideas from people that watch tons of film. Especially on Booth vs Elam and mid round CBs (3rd &4th) rounders.

• Like (+1) 1

i mean if you wanna get technical, safety is a need. Maybe not on the surface but Poyer and Hyde aren’t spring chickens. Eventually they’ll have to be replaced. A safety like Hill could play in 3 safety looks and cover backs and TEs. I’m not advocating for it just can see his point of not overlooking a safety higher in the draft 

• Like (+1) 1

Jordan Poyer is 30 and a UFA after this year

Mich Hyde is 31 and is a FA after 2023 (void years now go out until 2026!)

May be wise to find a cheap and productive player to groom with these S

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.