Breaking: Von Miller to bills, 6 year , 120 million

BillsMafi$

19 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I know Beane is a wizard, but I really want to know how he keeps everyone in the dark, even Rapoport, calling us a mystery team interested in Miller.

because contrary to what these guys say, no one has insider information

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, noacls said:

89, 90, 91, 92, say hello. Nice try though. 

See above. 1996 and 1997 were his most dominant seasons according to advanced stats. It's not even really all that close, especially re: 1996 (he was DPOY of the year that season and simply unblockable). He was a far more complete player from 1995-1997 and in much better shape. Don't measure his productivity just by the sack numbers. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

See above. 1996 and 1997 were his most dominant seasons according to advanced stats. It's not even really all that close, especially re: 1996 (he was DPOY of the year that season and simply unblockable). He was a far more complete player from 1995-1997 and in much better shape. Don't measure his productivity just by the sack numbers

Seems as if that's only thing they went by...

1 hour ago, boater said:

Thankfully, gone are the days when the unimaginative Jim Overdorf was delegated the task of running the salary cap. Beane is much better at it.

Whaley and other GM's just let Overdorf run the contracts show without supervision it seems.

Whaley was not a cap guy.  He was a good talent evaluator, so he sought input from Overdorf.

Beane does evaluate talent (and sometimes I think has gaps in his game there) but he Runs the Show with the cap, and I think it's easier to hire talent evaluators and delegate that aspect, than it is to delegate cap management.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, nucci said:

because contrary to what these guys say, no one has insider information

At least with the Bills they don't, that's for sure.

I don't doubt that other teams may throw a bone here and there or float out false info just for this reason.  BBB just keeps his cards close and doesn't blink.

Edited by The Wiz

14 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Wonder how many are ordering his jersey today....or first minute available if it's too early right now

I'll be ordering mine the second they become available. I keep checking, but they haven't been up yet. Hoping they do an Away Jersey for him too. I have a Home Josh Jersey and have been meaning to get a White one - but they only offer that one for a select few players.

1 hour ago, noacls said:

89, 90, 91, 92, say hello. Nice try though. 

Bruce Smith was hurt in 1991 and only played 5 games in the regular season. :doh:

Can you imagine not being able to make this move because we overpayed for JJ Watt last year? THANK GOD that didn’t happen.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, boater said:

Thankfully, gone are the days when the unimaginative Jim Overdorf was delegated the task of running the salary cap. Beane is much better at it.

Whaley and other GM's just let Overdorf run the contracts show without supervision it seems.

That’s ironic because the one thing Beane consults with Overdorf on is the salary cap and how various contractual structures might impact the management of it currently and down the road. 

People don’t want to hear it or believe it’s true (probably because of his long tenure in managing Mr. Wilson’s cash to cap accounting system since the cap was implemented in the early nineties) but Jim Overdorf has a great reputation as a cap guru around the league. 

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

See above. 1996 and 1997 were his most dominant seasons according to advanced stats. It's not even really all that close, especially re: 1996 (he was DPOY of the year that season and simply unblockable). He was a far more complete player from 1995-1997 and in much better shape. Don't measure his productivity just by the sack numbers. 

I'm sorry, I have just jumped back into this thread, and I haven't seen exactly what you're discussing, but I'm guessing it's how good can Miller be late in his career.   Your post caught my eye, because I remember it exactly as you say.  In fact, in the Super Bowl years, I used to think that Bruce was overhyped - he'd make a spectacular play here and there, but I never thought of him as a game wrecker.   Maybe it was just because he was double teamed and I wasn't paying attention.  

But then as he got older, he kept shedding weight and turned into something like a fighting robot designed by a mad scientist - all arms and legs and muscle and amazing quickness.  Those last few years he was unstoppable - in fact, Miller looked like him in some of the the videos: lining up out wide, so he could get off the line and take two steps before any contact, then just bursting one way or the other with the offensive tackle desperately trying to get hands and body weight on him before he blew by.  

I'm one who saw Miller had signed and worried immediately that he was too old, but Bruce is the obvious example of how a guy who plays with that style can actually improve.  I wouldn't be surprised if Miller has become project #1 for the training staff.  How do we get him at optimum weight and strength.   And Smith is around OBD, and I'm sure they will sit down and share stories -  I mean these are two of the great pass rushers in the history of the game, and they'll talk about their craft at a level that most of us wouldn't even understand.  

There's a lot of reason to believe that Miller can be a transformative player on the defense for 2-3 years, and maybe 4 or 5.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

That’s ironic because the one thing Beane consults with Overdorf on is the salary cap and how various contractual structures might impact the management of it currently and down the road. 

People don’t want to hear it or believe it’s true (probably because of his long tenure in managing Mr. Wilson’s cash to cap accounting system since the cap was implemented in the early nineties) but Jim Overdorf has a great reputation as a cap guru around the league. 

I think there are two different things going on.   One is strict evaluation of the cap, what moves are available to create space, etc, etc.  I've heard over and over that Overdorf is great at that.  However, I think in the past, Overdorf had authority to approve or kill deals - if you were the GM and wanted to do something, you needed Overdorf's okay.   

I think what's happened since Beane arrived is that Overdorf crunches all the numbers, talks about strategies, but Beane decides what cap risks he's going to take.   And I think Beane challenges Overdorf to "find a way."  I mean, it had to be the case over the past couple of days that Beane was asking Overdorf "how can we do this?"   So, Overdorf is still important, but I have the sense that he doesn't have the more or less complete control over the process that he used to have.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.