How much did you pay for gas and groceries today?

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah, but broke. Were repairs free? You're in dream world. Things last longer now, even throwaway. 

My old rotary phone hanging on my garage wall for decades might disagree with what you just typed on a device you will need to replace in a year or so.

Just now, Tiberius said:

Automobiles for sure are way better now and last much longer 

So are other products. But I guess we simply don't clean our houses as much OR just hire a cleaning crew. LoL....

How many people had a cleaning crew back in 1950s/60s...

Just now, Chris farley said:

My old rotary phone hanging on my garage wall for decades might disagree with what you just typed on a device you will need to replace in a year or so.

Who wants a rotary phone or a vacuum cleaner that draws 12 amps. 😆 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, redtail hawk said:

Not seeing many cars with cancer anymore.  Admittedly I'm in an area with little road salt use but I remember cars with rusted out floorboards in WNY.  Is ziebart still in biz?

Yup. Then they came up with the 5 year "rust through" warranty.  Rust THROUGH? 😆 

JC... Jeeps came off the line with rust on it! Tune-ups every 15,000 too. 😆 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

So are other products. But I guess we simply don't clean our houses as much OR just hire a cleaning crew. LoL....

How many people had a cleaning crew back in 1950s/60s...

Who wants a rotary phone or a vacuum cleaner that draws 12 amps. 😆 

15 to 20 milliamps for the old phone.  Kirby only uses that when used. and I aint buying another and tossing the old one in the trash. 

But your device does pull amps the entire time its charging.

if a fast charger, even more. 

Re Use at the individual level less consuming is Green

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

JC... Jeeps came off the line with rust on it! Tune-ups every 15,000 too.

yeah, back when they had carbs and timing chains that needed tune ups.

GDI inject has helped a lot, but causes other issues like carbon buildup.

18 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

15 to 20 milliamps for the old phone.  Kirby only uses that when used. and I aint buying another and tossing the old one in the trash. 

But your device does pull amps the entire time its charging.

if a fast charger, even more. 

Re Use at the individual level less consuming is Green

yeah, back when they had carbs and timing chains that needed tune ups.

GDI inject has helped a lot, but causes other issues like carbon buildup.

Actually... My timing chain on my 2006 Jeep can go 250k. Belts at about 100k.

BUT... The real breakthroughs are in electronics and metals. Products last longer. Yeah they might be throwaway,  but no labor to fix it during the service life.  Way better service life today.

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Actually... My timing chain on my 2006 Jeep can go 250k. Belts at about 100k.

BUT... The real breakthroughs are in electronics and metals. Products last longer. Yeah they might be throwaway,  but no labor to fix it during the service life.  Way better service life today.

better hold onto that old 4.0.  they don't make them like that anymore. in fact, I believe that was the last year they did.

and yes, a New Jeep has its first PM at 6K, and that is all labor.

Ford F150 is all aluminum so no rust, but the Eco boost engines are garbage.  

Jeeps like most dodge vehicles have always had issues with RUST

Edited by Chris farley

1 minute ago, Chris farley said:

better hold onto that old 4.0.  they don't make them like that anymore. in fact, I believe that was the last year they did.

and yes, a New Jeep has its first PM at 6K, and that is all labor.

Yup! Cast iron block... 4.0L is the AMC block IIRC, 283? You don't see old Jeeps in junkyards for a reason! The windshield frame on the 2006 is rotting put from the inside though. Hasn't busted through yet though!

Last of the dinosaurs. 2007 went to JK from TJ. Body on panel (no tub) too...

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

This HooverLark_1956.thumb.jpg.3c1e8e5bf2a92fdd0bde1f3616f8c879.jpg

This from 1956. A simple vacuum cleaner: $89.95.  You know how much that is in 2023? About a $994.87!!

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com

The old days aren't as great as they are made out to be. AND we aren't suffering as bad now as we think...

New technology is always most expensive when it first comes out.  My parents bought a microwave in 1980 for $1000.  I can get a far better one now for $90.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

New technology is always most expensive when it first comes out.  My parents bought a microwave in 1980 for $1000.  I can get a far better one now for $90.

1956 is 60 years after the first electric vacuums. 😆  Hardly "new" tech... The concept of a vacuum much earlier.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

28 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

1956 is 60 years after the first electric vacuums. 😆  Hardly "new" tech... The concept of a vacuum much earlier.

No one had a vacuum cleaner until after WWII.  And again, I can buy a microwave now for 1/10th the price of when they first came out. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yup! Cast iron block... 4.0L is the AMC block IIRC, 283? You don't see old Jeeps in junkyards for a reason! The windshield frame on the 2006 is rotting put from the inside though. Hasn't busted through yet though!

Last of the dinosaurs. 2007 went to JK from TJ. Body on panel (no tub) too...

kind of proved my point. thanks.

Old truck when they were built to last.   

Now what, a 1.3L 3-cylinder turbo?  

17 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

kind of proved my point. thanks.

Old truck when they were built to last.   

Now what, a 1.3L 3-cylinder turbo?  

No. Absolutely wrong.

That 2006 is coupled with modern electronics,  modern spark plugs... Ignition system... Fuel injection, etc...

So it's the best of both worlds. Old school coupled with the new school.  The new school makes it almost bulletproof... BUT the manufacturer can't have you driving without functional obsolescence.  

It does leak a little oil since almost the day it stepped out of warranty over a decade ago. 😆...

Just look how far brake pads have come.  They can make a vehicle that can give you a million miles,  they just don't want to.

The service life on that 1.3L is probably still better than some other old leaky engines... Takes less maintenance through its service life and is more environmentally conscious. 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Eyeroll 1

• 1 month later...

Can’t afford gas or food? Don’t worry, Biden’s got you covered (with cheap Internet?)

During the fall of The Roman Empire, they had this policy called ‘Bread and Circuses,’ which basically meant the government was using entertainment to distract the masses from the collapse.

Joe Biden’s White House appears to be taking a page from that book.

ALSO:  "Free" = Tax payer funded

FxazAKuaIAA6sTF?format=jpg&name=small

https://twitchy.com/rickrobinson-313235/2023/05/31/cant-afford-gas-or-food-dont-worry-bidens-got-you-covered-with-cheap-internet/

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, B-Man said:

Jonathan Chait sneers at families still struggling to afford groceries in Joe Biden's booming economy

e0f88614-c684-44eb-97cb-fd114bdf88a1-105

https://twitchy.com/sarahd/2023/07/13/jonathan-chait-paper-towels-n2385320

tl;dr

Journalist Chait says real wages are going up. Critic hits back: paper towels are getting really expensive. Chait mocks that.

I don't know about you, but I buy the 12 roll Costco pack. Now $26. Basically 2 bucks a roll. Each roll lasts a week or more in my small household.

I'm with Chait here.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

tl;dr

Journalist Chait says real wages are going up. Critic hits back: paper towels are getting really expensive. Chait mocks that.

I don't know about you, but I buy the 12 roll Costco pack. Now $26. Basically 2 bucks a roll. Each roll lasts a week or more in my small household.

I'm with Chait here.

Tried taking a loan recently?  You must be living under a rock.  

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Irv said:

Tried taking a loan recently?  You must be living under a rock.  

One man's higher loan rates are another man's higher savings rates.

We tilted the economy toward ultra low rates through Federal Reserve intervention ever since 2008. Things are finally getting back to normal rates.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

tl;dr

I'm with Chait here.

It's more than just paper towels.  :rolleyes:

A freaking Big Mac is $7.29 where I live. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

One man's higher loan rates are another man's higher savings rates.

We tilted the economy toward ultra low rates through Federal Reserve intervention ever since 2008. Things are finally getting back to normal rates.

No.  Rates were normal until Bindeflation ***** everything up.  You like paying more for everything?   Honestly, it's completely unbelievable somebody could be so brainwashed.   But it probably doesn't impact someone like you who takes handouts on the backs of the worker.  What a mess.        

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

It's more than just paper towels.  :rolleyes:

A freaking Big Mac is $7.29 where I live. 

The entire "travel, restaurant and hospitality" sector has seen some of the biggest price increases. It's labor intensive, and labor costs have gone through the roof.

I'm not trying to be the Monopoly man here, but ... broadly speaking these are still discretionary spending categories.

1 minute ago, Irv said:

No.  Rates were normal until Bindeflation ***** everything up.  You like paying more for everything?   Honestly, it's completely unbelievable somebody could be so brainwashed.   But it probably doesn't impact someone like you who takes handouts on the backs of the worker.  What a mess.        

1 year CDs? About 5.5 percent.

So like I said: if you owe money, not good. If you have money to save and don't like risk, good.

15 hours ago, Irv said:

Rates were normal until Bindeflation ***** everything up.

You don't remember what savings account/CD rates were after COVID? My bank account was paying a laughable 0.1 percent. I have a CD that is now (thankfully) maturing that I bought when I got all excited that rates were rising again. 18 months, 2.55%.

There's nothing "normal" about that. "Normal" over the last 40 years or so was on the order of 4% for short-term savings.

• Haha (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

LET’S GO BRANDON: 

Here We Go Again. Gas Prices Jump In Past Month.

IMG_2902.thumb.jpeg.18448e51b32475cb68fe3533251a1198.jpeg

According to the AAA national average prices, each gallon in your tank has gone from $3.537 to $3.829 during the past month. An increase of almost thirty cents a gallon, a significant spike for a one-month period.

https://lidblog.com/here-we-go-again-gas-prices-rise-in-past-month/

• Like (+1) 2

22ce4ba5-3bea-4003-80f2-336fb6b7d107-536

With gas prices rising, Biden reminds us he's still trying to end 'ALL drilling'

In order to convince everybody that the burning of fossil fuels is causing an existential crisis for all of humanity, President Biden fired up a 747 for a flight to Arizona and then took an SUV motorcade to the Grand Canyon to sound the alarm yet again. Biden, Kerry, Gore, et al, remain determined to make man-made climate change the biggest self-fulfilling prophecy in history. 

During an interview surrounding the White House's current push to convince everybody we're going to die of summer (at least until winter arrives) unless they're allowed to spend trillions more dollars and take an increasing amount of control over people's lives, Biden said he hasn't given up on his quest to end all oil drilling:

https://twitchy.com/dougp/2023/08/09/with-gas-prices-rising-biden-reminds-us-hes-still-trying-to-end-all-drilling-n2386124

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

They are doing it directly because of the green agenda. The Dems should let the transition to green energy happen organically rather than force it, it would be a smoother transition and the country and the world could better prepare for it. 

41 minutes ago, Westside said:

Goes to show you how the leftists on here do not care about the poor. Food costs more? Eat less!!!

They've sold their souls for the leftist agenda. Talk about a cult! 

Venezuelan diet.  What a mess.  

• Like (+1) 2