List of draft players Bills have met with

Pete

41 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

You're probably correct in he doesn't affect the opponents defensive game plan overall, but he still has to be accounted for. With his 4.6 yards per carry last season, it isn't something to sneeze at. Plus he has good pass blocking skills and needs to be part of his evaluation. 

I'm sure I'll get slammed for this, But.😥

Here's my thing. I keep trying to talk myself into a RB, but with Motor, Moss, Johnson and Jones already on the roster for this season I am finding it difficult to draft one this year. Unless someone truly falls, I just don't see it.  Next year would be the year in my opinion. I could maybe see a late round or UDFA though.🤔

Moss' spot is tenuous. Jones is exclusively a special teamer. Regardless, I doubt rb is on the table until maybe day 3. I'm hoping James Cook is there in the fourth.

38 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Moss' spot is tenuous. Jones is exclusively a special teamer. Regardless, I doubt rb is on the table until maybe day 3. I'm hoping James Cook is there in the fourth.

Agree on Moss. But, he wasn't brought in to be a 3rd down back (at least I don't remember that), I believe he was to be more of the power back (Thunder to Motors Spark.🤣) and had gvery good receiving grades.🤔. I know he's had some injuries as well which was a concern coming out, but not really ready to give up on him quite yet. Hopefully with new line coach and OC, maybe we can see more of what he was supposed to be.

I'm not as hight on Cook. Just seems like a Brieda replacement? I like a little more meat in the seat.😂. Bigger backs, as I am old school. I do like Rashad White though. But ultimately if I had to replace Moss, I like Zander Horvath (late/udfa) in his role and could also replace Gilliam at the same time.

48 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Agree on Moss. But, he wasn't brought in to be a 3rd down back (at least I don't remember that), I believe he was to be more of the power back (Thunder to Motors Spark.🤣) and had gvery good receiving grades.🤔. I know he's had some injuries as well which was a concern coming out, but not really ready to give up on him quite yet. Hopefully with new line coach and OC, maybe we can see more of what he was supposed to be.

I'm not as hight on Cook. Just seems like a Brieda replacement? I like a little more meat in the seat.😂. Bigger backs, as I am old school. I do like Rashad White though. But ultimately if I had to replace Moss, I like Zander Horvath (late/udfa) in his role and could also replace Gilliam at the same time.

Well, I live near Athens, so I am biased, but I think Cook is a shifty, skilled third down back. He's not just a speedy Brieda type, imo. I am not writing Moss off, btw, though I am skeptical he will stick.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He's devalued some because he is coming from a poorly coached Miami team..........there has been great value in selecting Miami players late in recent years and coaching them up.

But his hands were bad in college.    His hand reliability improved some after transferring to Miami from Oklahoma.........but he's still basically a 3rd-4th round athlete with UDFA hands, IMO.  Fix the hands and you have an NFL receiver.

It would be good strategy IMO to bring into the building or have private workouts off-site with players that they anticipate being priority UDFA's..........I think most of the top prospects they really don't need to have visit...........but the one's they need to recruit they would gain an advantage by doing so.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He's devalued some because he is coming from a poorly coached Miami team..........there has been great value in selecting Miami players late in recent years and coaching them up.

But his hands were bad in college.    His hand reliability improved some after transferring to Miami from Oklahoma.........but he's still basically a 3rd-4th round athlete with UDFA hands, IMO.  Fix the hands and you have an NFL receiver.

It would be good strategy IMO to bring into the building or have private workouts off-site with players that they anticipate being priority UDFA's..........I think most of the top prospects they really don't need to have visit...........but the one's they need to recruit they would gain an advantage by doing so.

This last is actually a good point I hadn't considered....if the team drafts a guy, he plays for us or for no one.  It's the guys we want to sign as UDFA we have to build a relationship with and persuade. 

Still, I hadn't heard of teams using (limited numbers of) building visits or even private workouts on potential UDFA.  I don't think the number of private workouts are technically limited, but they're practically limited by the volume the FO staff can handle.

Any idea how this has played out - have the Bills in the last 4 years actually signed any UDFA who had pre-draft visits to OBD or private workouts?

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This last is actually a good point I hadn't considered....if the team drafts a guy, he plays for us or for no one.  It's the guys we want to sign as UDFA we have to build a relationship with and persuade. 

Still, I hadn't heard of teams using (limited numbers of) building visits or even private workouts on potential UDFA.  I don't think the number of private workouts are technically limited, but they're practically limited by the volume the FO staff can handle.

Any idea how this has played out - have the Bills in the last 4 years actually signed any UDFA who had pre-draft visits to OBD or private workouts?

I don't have that info........but the last time they had this level of access to players was 2019 and I think the amount of data they collect on players in the season has increased a lot in that time.

Like the gps data.......they have been doing that at the Senior Bowl for some time and now it's tracked extensively in-season/in-game........and unfortunately fans don't yet have access to that valuable info.

It's my estimation that teams can get to know A LOT more about a player without the in-house visit than they were able to glean in 2019.

That being the case...........they still get the same amount of visits and the time.   It just makes sense to utilize a portion of it on players they will have to recruit.

And I do think that some of the guys they have been rumored to be looking that are fringe draft picks.    Rambo is pretty fringy,  IMO.    Max Borghi.  Anyone who goes in round 5 or later is probably a UDFA on some team's board.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Smith is my guy. Makes sense in round 2 imo. They also met with him at the combine. 

His scouting report according to Lance Zierlein sounds eerily similar to a current Bills linebacker…

”Linebacker who is likely to test better than he plays at the next level. Smith possesses five-star traits and is extremely athletic, but those traits tend to go to waste on tape. There is a consistent lack of fundamentals that leave him out of position or blocked on too many plays. He lacks decisiveness and an aggressive demeanor that are fundamental in becoming an NFL linebacker.”

• Vomit 1

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Smith is my guy. Makes sense in round 2 imo. They also met with him at the combine. 

Seems like dollar store Edmunds to me 

5 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

His scouting report according to Lance Zierlein sounds eerily similar to a current Bills linebacker…

”Linebacker who is likely to test better than he plays at the next level. Smith possesses five-star traits and is extremely athletic, but those traits tend to go to waste on tape. There is a consistent lack of fundamentals that leave him out of position or blocked on too many plays. He lacks decisiveness and an aggressive demeanor that are fundamental in becoming an NFL linebacker.”

He’s not the same player but has the same weaknesses 

2 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Yeah there are definitely similarities in their game. Some scouting people like him more. Smith plays with way more power and plays downhill. He is not nearly as raw as Maine was coming out. I have no problem with the process by which they identified Edmunds as the type of backer they want. They wanted a fast, long powerful backer with crazy upside. Hasn’t quite worked out with Maine 100%, and I like him a lot. Just not sure you pay him.

Taking Smith pushes the reset button on the position, gets a very similar prospect with what I think is a higher upside on a rookie contract. I like Troy Andersen. I know people like Andersen, but he is very raw imo. I like Leo Chenal a lot but he doesn’t have that length they seem to want. But Smith is the closest thing to type of linebacker they seem to want, and he was coached the last three years by McDermott guy  Brent Pry. They met with him at the combine, were at his pro day, and now working him out. It makes sense to me. 

36 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah there are definitely similarities in their game. Some scouting people like him more. Smith plays with way more power and plays downhill. He is not nearly as raw as Maine was coming out. I have no problem with the process by which they identified Edmunds as the type of backer they want. They wanted a fast, long powerful backer with crazy upside. Hasn’t quite worked out with Maine 100%, and I like him a lot. Just not sure you pay him.

Taking Smith pushes the reset button on the position, gets a very similar prospect with what I think is a higher upside on a rookie contract. I like Troy Andersen. I know people like Andersen, but he is very raw imo. I like Leo Chenal a lot but he doesn’t have that length they seem to want. But Smith is the closest thing to type of linebacker they seem to want, and he was coached the last three years by McDermott guy  Brent Pry. They met with him at the combine, were at his pro day, and now working him out. It makes sense to me. 

If they got linebacker as high as round 2 or 3, I really like Channing Tindell. Wasn’t able to start behind Nakobe Dean and Quay Walker at Georgia but he absolutely flies to the ball. And he played 4 phases on special teams which we know McD loves in his guys.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

😬

When YoAdrian Waddle was with Buffalo I remember his wife was always publicly inviting McDermott to their functions.........which McD then felt obligated to attend despite his busy schedule.    Not sure being a Waddle family member has anything to do with their interest in him. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.