Allen's rookie year

cage

The video of Allen's second start and famous upset of the Vikings popped up on my YouTube feed.  I hadn't seen these highlights in a long time, but it got me thinking about young QBs.  Lots of teams are wondering or hoping the can get the next Josh Allen, with the common refrain that he "sucked" his rookie season, but then steadily improved to become what he's been in year 3/4.  

Admittedly his stats weren't off the charts that first season.  But looking at these game highlights his affect goes way beyond hurdling Barr, it shows all the ingredients of the guy we see today.  These highlights don't look all that different from a game he might have had this season.  While not every game looked like this as a rookie, he also had impressive games against the Jaguars and two against the Dolphins where won AFC Player of the Week to close the season.  

So teams can think they have the next JA17, but he looked impressive right from that first season....

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

Colin Cowherd said this about Tua when looking at his rookie year. 

He said something to the effect of, Just look at Josh Allen's rookie tape and it's full of ooooo's and ahhhh's and wtf did he just do excitement.  

Look at Tua's rookie tape and it's 4 minutes of mediocre football followed by 12min of Fitz.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Saw a highlights video someone made going back to college to the present and Allen has consistently had a very similar play style the entire duration. He's gotten better at it/plays more consistently at that level, but he's always had times where he plays like he does now.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Hurdling Barr and the Superman dive to the pylon while outrunning LBs was eye opening to me in that game.

I wonder if he could outrun Trumaine Edwards.

9 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Colin Cowherd said this about Tua when looking at his rookie year. 

He said something to the effect of, Just look at Josh Allen's rookie tape and it's full of ooooo's and ahhhh's and wtf did he just do excitement.  

Look at Tua's rookie tape and it's 4 minutes of mediocre football followed by 12min of Fitz.

Right - like... Allen struggled with protection of a bad oline, and rookie pocket presence issues. He'd miss some easy throws, didn't know when to take something off his fastball.  Traditional rookie issues.  But the flashes were definitely there, deep throws, tight window throws, buying time and throwing strikes, the running ability etc. 

• Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Right - like... Allen struggled with protection of a bad oline, and rookie pocket presence issues. He'd miss some easy throws, didn't know when to take something off his fastball.  Traditional rookie issues.  But the flashes were definitely there, deep throws, tight window throws, buying time and throwing strikes, the running ability etc. 

How in the world did Allen survive behind that 2018 O-Line?

Allen as a rookie, looked like a rookie. Still, he was entertaining and fun to watch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, cage said:

The video of Allen's second start and famous upset of the Vikings popped up on my YouTube feed.  I hadn't seen these highlights in a long time, but it got me thinking about young QBs.  Lots of teams are wondering or hoping the can get the next Josh Allen, with the common refrain that he "sucked" his rookie season, but then steadily improved to become what he's been in year 3/4.  

Admittedly his stats weren't off the charts that first season.  But looking at these game highlights his affect goes way beyond hurdling Barr, it shows all the ingredients of the guy we see today.  These highlights don't look all that different from a game he might have had this season.  While not every game looked like this as a rookie, he also had impressive games against the Jaguars and two against the Dolphins where won AFC Player of the Week to close the season.  

So teams can think they have the next JA17, but he looked impressive right from that first season....

Here is what I know, 100% without a shadow of a doubt.  Anyone who says Allen sucked his rookie year 100% did NOT watch him actually play his rookie year.  

Allen had some big moments in his rookie year, things that made you think this kid has something special in him.  But most importantly, Allen looked like a completely different QB after he returned from injury, which also showed a big jump in development in a short window.  

As soon as I see anyone suggest he was terrible his rookie year, I immediately know this is not someone whose football opinion is worth hearing.  They are more interested in confirmation bias conclusions than actual analysis of real play on the field.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

You can see the work Josh has put in since the rookie year, just from a mechanics standpoint.  Looking at how he was throwing in that game compared to how he throws now - his footwork, arm angles, all of that stuff have come a really long way!

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

How in the world did Allen survive behind that 2018 O-Line?

Allen as a rookie, looked like a rookie. Still, he was entertaining and fun to watch.

Passing to Holmes, Benjamin, Jones, Foster, Clay, Croom, and Ivory.  On the line you had Dawkins, Ducasse, Bodine, Miller, Mills.  Throw in Some Ryan Groy, and Wyatt Teller's rookie year.  

Don't judge a player who is without weapons and protection.  I'd say the one who gets the pass this year is probably lawrence.  Wilson looked so thoroughly unimpressive for me to consider there - the 10.3% sack rate indicates a bad line, but also that he doesn't know what he's doing.  Most of their best offensive outputs had Mike White, Josh Johnson, or Flacco starting.  

I could not believe how incredible his pocket sensing ability was right from the start. A major ingredient to great quarterbacking and something the draftniks never keyed on. He has eyes in back of his head. He’s basically great at everything you can ask a quarterback to do.  

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I wonder if he could outrun Trumaine Edwards.

Who’s Trumaine Edwards?

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Here is what I know, 100% without a shadow of a doubt.  Anyone who says Allen sucked his rookie year 100% did NOT watch him actually play his rookie year.  

Allen had some big moments in his rookie year, things that made you think this kid has something special in him.  But most importantly, Allen looked like a completely different QB after he returned from injury, which also showed a big jump in development in a short window.  

As soon as I see anyone suggest he was terrible his rookie year, I immediately know this is not someone whose football opinion is worth hearing.  They are more interested in confirmation bias conclusions than actual analysis of real play on the field.  

Before the 2020 season there was some sports show debate about who would be the best QB in the AFC East with Brady gone and Todd Mcshay basically mocking Mel Kiper for saying Josh Allen and refusing to believe Kiper had watched every snap of his.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Before the 2020 season there was some sports show debate about who would be the best QB in the AFC East with Brady gone and Todd Mcshay basically mocking Mel Kiper for saying Josh Allen and refusing to believe Kiper had watched every snap of his.

Hahaha yup, I remember this debate vividly, seen it a bunch, its priceless.  And the first thing I said when I saw it the first time is that there are 2 guys here, only one has actually watched Allen truly play, and its glaringly obvious who it is.  Hint:  Wasn't McShay haha.

28 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not to mention he was surrounded by offensive players that, collectively, were the worst in the NFL and historically bad. The fact that Allen showed so many flashes of what was to come, and actually improved throughout the year (and, as you say, particularly after coming back from the injury) with that offense is remarkable.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Hahaha yup, I remember this debate vividly, seen it a bunch, its priceless.  And the first thing I said when I saw it the first time is that there are 2 guys here, only one has actually watched Allen truly play, and its glaringly obvious who it is.  Hint:  Wasn't McShay haha.

it annoyed the crap out of me when he acted like Kiper watching every snap was ridiculous, I mean it's literally part of his job.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.