Bills OT rule proposal

PromoTheRobot

­­I think they should do a shoot-out type formula.

• Each team gets 3 plays from the 10 yard line.
  • You could score 3 times. 1 point for each time you make it in the end zone.

If tied after each team gets 3 attempts, it goes to sudden death with the same formula.

• Team A goes, then team B.
  • If tied still, keep going until at the end of a round, there is a winner.

This will do the following:

• Each team will always get the same amount of tries.
  • No more whining about fare possessions.
  • Puts the focus on both offense and defense
  • Put the game in he hands of the star players. (Sorry, special team guys, your day is done. If your best player is a returner or kicker, get better players.)

This should be done for regular season AND playoffs.

• NO MORE TIES!!!
Edited by DRutka

1 hour ago, DRutka said:

If tied after each team gets 3 attempts, it goes to sudden death with the same formula.

• Put the game in he hands of the star players. (Sorry, special team guys, your day is done. If your best player is a returner or kicker, get better players.)

• NO MORE TIES!!!

3 sets of 3 plays or 3 plays altogether with the potential to score 3 times?

I ask because teams should be able to play the style they want. A rushing team trying to rush 3 times for 3 points, each from the 10 yard line is far more difficult than a passing team who just has to throw the ball into the end zone 3 times.

• Sad 1

Defenses are at a disadvantage in today's game.  Defending against a high scoring offense seems more difficult than scoring a touchdown against a good defense.  

Call it top half, bottom half if you will but it should be a successive possession overtime.   I do not see this as extending the time played like a triple OT hockey game or an extra sets tennis match.  

The bottom half team gets to match or better the top half team's possession.  

Match it and play another two possessions.  

Beat it and game over.

Fail to match the score and game over.  

I think this needs to happen, not just because it happened to the Bills (but maybe a little bit) :)

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

First scenario is perfect. That's exactly how it should be. Like I said, team B already knows who gets possession in OT. So if they score a TD they could go for 2 to win in regulation instead of play defense in OT and hope to get the ball back.

Second scenario would take game management by the coach. Remember at the end of regulation you still win the game if you make the long FG. In OT a made FG gives the ball to the opponent for their possession. Team A would still have to score a TD on their 1st possession in OT to win on that possession.

Any solution that doesn’t give both teams a possession will never be fair.

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Since the rule change in 2010 for regular season, 2012 for playoffs, there have been 163 OT games.  Coin toss winner winner won 52.8% of those games.

Playoffs are  a sample size of 11 games over 10 seasons, and only 7 teams that won the toss scored a TD on their first possession.  So 63.6% (not 90%) of those games involved only 1 team having a chance to score).

Even so,  the small sample size gives a poor reflection of the actual advantage for the coin toss (just over 50:50 for the toss winner).

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-overtime-playoff-games-history/v2ac7w5vi1xr1ufwe68uu37d8

The win percentage I said should have been 80%, I didn’t look it up for reference. So the coin toss winner is 10-2 in OT since the 2010 change with 7 of the 10 wins coming from first possession (touchdowns). 

I didn’t realize the 10-2 was just winning and not walk off touchdowns. Either way, 10-2 still isn’t the isn’t great odds, and it shows the current format could be improved, even with a smaller sample size in the playoffs. 

9 hours ago, DRutka said:

• NO MORE TIES!!!

I think ties are fine for the regular season. It means less stat padding and less chance for injury. In the playoffs a team HAS to win, so there needs to be a format gives them both a chance and both sides of the team a chance to be in the field. 

With that said, there would be a certain entertainment value to a shootout style format and I’m sure I’d learn to enjoy it. However, I think something more akin to the other 4 quarters of play would be more realistic, and better reflect the game. 

My proposal, IF it needed to change, goes like this:

OT would result in each team getting at least one possession to score points. The team that gets the ball first may punt, score a field goal,  or a touchdown. The second team must beat the previous teams points:

1. if the first team punted, the second team can kick a field goal to win. 

2. If the first team kicked a field goal, the second team must score a touchdown to win.

3. If the first team scored a touchdown, the second team must also score a touchdown AND a 2 point conversion to win.

The only way to end the game without each team getting a possession is if the first team gives up a safety on their possession, or if they go downfield, score a touchdown AND a 2 point conversion themselves. If they convert the 2 points they win, if they fail they only score 6 and the second team can then simply score a touchdown and XP to win. High risk/reward.

if each team has a possession in which they both punt, the next team to score any points is the winner.

I’m not sure how good this works but in my head it seems to be fair

Just now, Turk71 said:

I think the college version is basically fair.

The NFL could improve upon it by starting possessions at midfield so fgs aren't a given and 2 pt tries after every TD to break tie quicker.

The NFL has a long history of ignoring or avoiding rules from rival leagues or college, only to give in and adopt them later.

1 minute ago, Turk71 said:

I think the college version is basically fair.

The NFL could improve upon it by starting possessions at midfield so fgs aren't a given and 2 pt tries after every TD to break tie quicker.

I have a question for everyone. Why is everyone so concerned with fairness? It's still the same game being played, we just want a winner.

I don't think we should view OT as a brand new game. It should be considered extra time to get a winner. 

On 3/2/2022 at 8:06 AM, Greg S said:

Exactly. 13 seconds means there shouldn't have been an OT in the first place.

It’s reasonable that both are correct.  Yes, the Bills should’ve played better defense those last 13 seconds and, yes, the postseason OT rules should be improved. 

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

It’s reasonable that both are correct.  Yes, the Bills should’ve played better defense those last 13 seconds and, yes, the postseason OT rules should be improved. 

I'm actually amazed the football world didn't criticize the Bills much for the final 13 seconds. I found that odd. It's one of the most watched and talked about games ever but the Bills really didn't get much heat over how they played the final 13 seconds.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I'm actually amazed the football world didn't criticize the Bills much for the final 13 seconds. I found that odd. It's one of the most watched and talked about games ever but the Bills really didn't get much heat over how they played the final 13 seconds.

That’s a good thought.  That really didn’t happen nationally.  I guess people were just enamored by how fantastic a game it was.  And they probably chalked it up to Mahomes playoff magic.  

On 3/3/2022 at 1:31 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I mean Mahomes scored a field goal in 13 seconds, sure but....

Josh scored a touchdown in 49 seconds before that.

and Mahomes scored a touchdown in 62 seconds before that

and Josh scored a touchdown in 114 seconds before that

and a bit earlier Josh scored a touchdown in 10 seconds before that

It was par for the course. Both defenses were stopping nothing.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.